• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't change notification sounds for some apps

Hi, having just bought a S22 running Android 13 I can't seem to find any way to change the notification sounds of some of the apps. I've tried all manner of ways to search through notification settings but sounds aren't listed. I downloaded the Samsung User Guide and also the Manual for the S22 family onto my PC but neither have been any help.

Thanks, but I've now sussed out how to do it. It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, intuitive and I found it on another forum after a web search.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind burying these settings so deeply. I also don't understand why they dont keep legacy sounds. I would really like my old ones on this phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I've now sussed out how to do it. It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, intuitive and I found it on another forum after a web search.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind burying these settings so deeply. I also don't understand why they dont keep legacy sounds. I would really like my old ones on this phone.
I am facing the same problem on S23 Ultra. Need to a setup a custom notification sound for a specific Gmail account in Gmail App, but only getting list of "internal" sounds to select from. There is no PLUS button to select a custom file in the APP notifications settings. There is a PLUS button for phone ringtones and notification, but that's not what I need. How did you resolve it?

Upvote 0
In case anyone would wonder the same, you need to move your custom sound file to an android hidden Notifications directory, similar to that on the attached screenshot. Create a folder with the file name and move the file there. Then you will see your custom sound file under the APP notification sounds.

Screenshot_20230417_183322_Files by Google.jpg

Upvote 0
I was able to do it within WhatsApp easily enough but I had trouble finding a way to do it in K9mail that I'd installed and Messages that came pre-installed. As I said above I eventually succeeded from within App Manager using the info I got from another forum.

Obviously not all user installed 3rd-party apps make it as easy as WhatsApp.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I was able to do it within WhatsApp easily enough but I had trouble finding a way to do it in K9mail that I'd installed and Messages that came pre-installed. As I said above I eventually succeeded from within App Manager using the info I got from another forum.

Obviously not all user installed 3rd-party apps make it as easy as WhatsApp.

WeChat and Telegram makes it easy as well. Although for my uses those are the only user installed apps I want making notification sounds, all other non-system third-party apps I have muted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones