• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't disable sms notification

jcs121

Lurker
Sep 18, 2011
I just upgraded to 2.3 and now I can't turn off sms messages from appearing in my notification bar. I had the same issue with Froyo but was able to turn it off in the settings. I try to turn it off in settings now, and the option doesn't "grey out" like it did with Froyo. I've tried "GoSMS" and "Handcent" but they don't help either. I still need to disable notifications on the stock app first.
I did a factory reset before and after the upgrade to 2.3 and everything else is working flawlessly (so far).
My phone is a stock SGS Vibrant on Bell Mobility, running 2.3.3 UGKG3.
Please help!

Iv only had my Galaxy S2 for about a week now, out of the box i tell u it was not as easy to use as my Iphone4 to use and understand. Like all new devices it takes a little getting used to, who ever thought of swiping a phone to answer a call is a complete idiot who probably takes public transport only. The main issue i have right now is that I can not connect to my wireless router unless i am sitting right in front of it. Once its connected i can walk anywhere in the house and still use the wifi. My router is hidden PSK2 and MAC filtering. Like i said i have no problems using it once its connected however to get it connect i have to sit in front of the router turn the wireless feature off on the phone and then turn it back on. At this stage its most baffling as my iphone 4 has had no problems in this environment connecting when i walk into range and disconnecting when im out of range in over 6months. When i first tried to connect it to my wireless network it would sit there and tell me acquiring IP address and never actually connect, instead my home network would vanish, it would scan for other networks, and then tell me that its out of range when it clearly showed above 3 bars. Common im sitting in front of the router. There are a lot of post like this and I think it may be a common issue. When i speak to my friends about this who have hidden networks with WEP but no mac filtering. They say that they have never had a problem. On the other hand I love the phone, battery life and memory beats IPHONE4 hands down and the screen is massive compared. Yes big screen GOOD!! And lite. Now getting used to Android and think its pretty awesome platform, but without the security features it will fall short of its mark. But back the the wifi bit I think it must be down to the production line. Some got out of the factory in less than perfect condition. How else can u explain all these people having wifi issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones