• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't do a factory reset on my rooted phone

You guys got my interest so I just did wipe data/factory reset in Clockwork. The stability of Frankenrom would not be denied. :D

Hung on boot animation screen for about 6 minutes, then booted ok. Oddly though, the boot mp3 was the Drrroooid sound instead of "It's Alive" that is Frankenrom. Might have got the resident boot sound back with a 2nd reboot but I didn't try to find out.

Skipped through all the setup/Google BS and homescreen came up in the same form as the original Frankenrom download with the included wallpaper (albeit a little sluggish and seemingly unimpressed at what I was asking it to do). All my apps were gone except Superuser.

So it works under the right circumstances and may be ROM specific but to be honest, my phone acted pissed about it. Not really a science experiment I'd necessarily recommend. Better off navigating backward with a Nand restore IMO.

Upvote 0
You guys got my interest so I just did wipe data/factory reset in Clockwork. The stability of Frankenrom would not be denied. :D

Hung on boot animation screen for about 6 minutes, then booted ok. Oddly though, the boot mp3 was the Drrroooid sound instead of "It's Alive" that is Frankenrom. Might have got the resident boot sound back with a 2nd reboot but I didn't try to find out.

Skipped through all the setup/Google BS and homescreen came up in the same form as the original Frankenrom download with the included wallpaper (albeit a little sluggish and seemingly unimpressed at what I was asking it to do). All my apps were gone except Superuser.

So it works under the right circumstances and may be ROM specific but to be honest, my phone acted pissed about it. Not really a science experiment I'd necessarily recommend. Better off navigating backward with a Nand restore IMO.

You love playing with your phone WAY too much. :) But I'm glad you do, it makes you more valuable AND ENTERTAINING. LOL

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
:eek: This sounds ominous. In my case HTC Sync was already acting up long before I rooted, before I updated to 2.2 even - I've only just gotten annoyed enough to try and do anything about it. So restoring from even my earliest (immediately post-root) Nandroid backup would not be helpful - I need a true factory reset/data wipe. Not that I think it'll do any good, but I'll be darned if I'll let HTC tech support get rid of me that easily.

Would you advise using the S-on tool and reflashing back to stock 2.2 in this case? Would I be able to root again in the future if I do that?

Upvote 0
If it was happening prior to the 2.2 update, I'm not sure if it'd do any good to go back to stock 2.2 or not?
I'm almost certain it won't (I doubt whether the problem has anything to do with the phone at all) - but maybe if I jump through the hoops, I can move on to the next troubleshooting step. I have a sneaking feeling they are just saying this to get rid of me, which makes me determined to cling like a burr.;) But yeah, Titanium Backup should provide adequate backup for calendar and contacts, so I don't need HTC Sync as much as before. I just hate to give up. And besides, it makes me nervous not to have any way to hard reset.

PS. I was having trouble with the sync even before the OTA update. My gut feeling is their sync software is just buggy.

Upvote 0
The HTC Sync software is DEFINITELY buggy. I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. You're absolutely right about Titanium...so far superior it's not even in the same league. Not even the same universe.

I understand your wanting to move it to the next level for the "burr" factor. Sounds like something I would do actually, but in the end, it's going to cause you a bunch of extra effort and a little risk (not bad but not needed) and they're going to just end up making up some lame excuse when their flowchart of answers runs out.

Upvote 0
they're going to just end up making up some lame excuse when their flowchart of answers runs out.
This is quite true.:D

As you say, it's probably not worth taking any risk for as long as I have alternate solutions for backing up calendar and contacts locally.

Edited to add: I think I was under a misapprehension earlier - I thought a Nandroid backup included apps, but just now in the ROM flashing guide I read something that made me think this isn't so. Is that right? Sorry to be such a noob, but I'd probably better ask these things before getting in trouble. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones