• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't read contacts from SIM card

AussieGuy

Jan 13, 2011
Hello,

I have a new Xperia X10, into which I placed my old SIM card. Before I bought the handset, the shopman kindly upgraded Android 1.6 to 2.1 for me. However, when I go to the contact list, it claims "Cannot read from SIM..." and the only contacts I have are the ones I've inserted manually. I've made no changes to the handset aside from downloading two free little puzzle apps.

I would like to be able to read my SIM card though; there's a lot of contacts on it, and I don't fancy entering them all from scratch again.

Can anybody help?

By the way, I am new to Android, having had my phone for only 24 hours.

Thanks very much!

cheers,
-A.

You should be able to import from your Sim card altho you can't choose to continuously use your Sim as the method of storage as you could on the older 'dumb' phones where you could choose between phone memory or sim storage. As stated above, open your Phonebook, press Menu and there is an option to Import Contacts, select this and you will be given the choice of Sim Card or SD Card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones