• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S22 DUAL SIM (US VERSION)

Bruno Cani

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
Hi everyone,

I have an S22 (US Variant) that is NOT DUAL SIM from factory, but I noticed that the SIM Slot has contacts on both sides of it.

So I bought a Dual SIM tray to test if I could use 2 SIMs at the same time.

Turns out that if I insert only 1 SIM in the upper side of the tray or in the down side of the tray, the phone works perfectly fine, what means that there is woking eletronic contacts in both sides. But when I insert 2 SIM cards at the same time, only the SIM in the upper side works.

Inside the settings, there is no option to turn on a second physical SIM card, only eSIM (but my carrier does not work with eSIM for Samsung yet).

Does anyone know if there is a way to activate the second SIM card?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I have an S22 (US Variant) that is NOT DUAL SIM from factory, but I noticed that the SIM Slot has contacts on both sides of it.

So I bought a Dual SIM tray to test if I could use 2 SIMs at the same time.

Turns out that if I insert only 1 SIM in the upper side of the tray or in the down side of the tray, the phone works perfectly fine, what means that there is woking eletronic contacts in both sides. But when I insert 2 SIM cards at the same time, only the SIM in the upper side works.

Inside the settings, there is no option to turn on a second physical SIM card, only eSIM (but my carrier does not work with eSIM for Samsung yet).

Does anyone know if there is a way to activate the second SIM card?

Thanks!

Think you'd need to root, and somehow change the firmware. And good luck with that, as I believe US variant Samsungs have a locked bootloader.

Upvote 0
So, Samsung makes the proper hardware for reading two physical SIM cards, but can't be bothered to deliver the firmware that hardware needs to work properly.

As I understand things, it's not Samsung can't be bothered. It's American carriers don't allow dual-SIM phones on their networks. All phones sold in the US are one physical SIM only. But from what I've read on AF, certain American carriers may a second e-SIM to be activated. Dual-SIM Samsungs as quite common in other parts of the world, like Asia,, Europe, Middle East, and Africa.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones