• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate vs Iphone 4

I hope that's because you couldn't get your grubby little fingers off of it long enough! :D

Lol honestly ..yes. Working 70 hrs this week, so Im worried that when I hook it up to the computer im gonna be stuck on it, looking at my gmail acct ( that I just set up , trying to figure things out for hrs lol

Im a builder.. Of homes , not computers, so this whole android deal is like a foreign language to me :)

Upvote 0
I have the IP4 (since Launch) and I've have the captivate for the past 4 days. Man, I am liking this phone. I also have a Droid Incredible. I've also gone thru 3 android phones and this one is really keeping my attention span.

I'll end up keeping both. I need the iPhone for work (there are no Android phones with cisco connectivity) and there are so many quality apps on iOS. I have $5-10 apps on the iPhone that replace $500 software on my PC/Mac so it is all good.

I may not even use the Captivate with a data plan and just use it as a PDA. I got it off-contract cheap so I can either keep it or flip it (and make a profit) but I think I'm going to keep it. Samsung is coming out with a PDA only version media player and they want to price it at $250. At that price, I'll definitely keep the captivate. If I get bored with the iPhone, I'll just swap the SIM (that is what I am doing now).

These are two good phones and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It is all a matter of preference (and maybe job requirement for me).

Upvote 0
Yeah I feel the same way. I can go without plugging in my phone and all of a sudden it starts to sync.

Android is still young whether people want to realize it or not. It's come out after the iPhone and has come such a long way in s short period of time. Android has a firmware (Froyo) that has Flash support.....REAL flash support. Apple still has yet to implement that into their builds. If anyone have used the Gallery in the Captivate....they're basically looking at the next Android build.....3.0 (Gingerbread). The animations, and how smooth it is definitely is something to look forward to. Android basically just used the first few builds to basically get the major stuff they want into a phone, before they add the eye candy.

Apple is still stuck with the same interface, which worked for them ever since, but what's going to be their answer when Android enhances the UI? Then on top of that Samsung Galaxy S (2) i9200 I believe.....2Ghz Processor, 8MPX camera, 1080p HD recording and plus Gingerbread 3.0 coming early next year....How will Apple compete with that? Android is changing, evolving and advancing faster than any previous operating system for ANY phone. Android provides open-source everything... the Android base is so HUGE that nothing will go without being known. You can put leaks, customize, even enhance the performance of your phone just by switching kernels and what not. You can enhance the features of a build and make it your own. How does Apple provide that for their consumers? (Don't Answer). Apple is nice YES, I love Macs, shoot I'll even use a iTouch, iPad even, but I won't invest into a iPhone 4. Go and look at the AT&T website....Look at the reviews for the Captivate, and see how many people exchanged their iPhone for a Captivate; or even see those who anticipated on getting the iPhone 4, and ended up getting the Captivate. This phone is a BEAST, hands down. When Froyo hits and gets ported over to the Captivate within the next 24-48 hours or so, everyone who has doubts in the Captivate will see exactly why we Android fans go so hard for these phones.

Upvote 0
I have the IP4 (since Launch) and I've have the captivate for the past 4 days. Man, I am liking this phone. I also have a Droid Incredible. I've also gone thru 3 android phones and this one is really keeping my attention span.

I'll end up keeping both. I need the iPhone for work (there are no Android phones with cisco connectivity) and there are so many quality apps on iOS. I have $5-10 apps on the iPhone that replace $500 software on my PC/Mac so it is all good.

I may not even use the Captivate with a data plan and just use it as a PDA. I got it off-contract cheap so I can either keep it or flip it (and make a profit) but I think I'm going to keep it. Samsung is coming out with a PDA only version media player and they want to price it at $250. At that price, I'll definitely keep the captivate. If I get bored with the iPhone, I'll just swap the SIM (that is what I am doing now).

These are two good phones and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It is all a matter of preference (and maybe job requirement for me).

Check out the leaked Froyo 2.2 when it gets released. The original Galaxy S gets it in the morning, and devs will port it over pretty fast since they're almost the same. This is where any high-end Android phone starts to shine. My Droid on VZW is overclocked at 1.1Ghz, it comes stock with 800Mhz with Froyo 2.2, 550 Mhz on Eclair 2.1. Just imagine what this 1Ghz Hummingbird can be OC to. I see something in the area of 1.5Ghz maybe....Just imagine the performance on that. The FramesPerSecond and so on.

Upvote 0
Lol honestly ..yes. Working 70 hrs this week, so Im worried that when I hook it up to the computer im gonna be stuck on it, looking at my gmail acct ( that I just set up , trying to figure things out for hrs lol

Im a builder.. Of homes , not computers, so this whole android deal is like a foreign language to me :)

Trust me, it's not as hard as you may think it is. Its a lot to take in, but once you know the terminology for different things like ROMs, kernels, Recovery, Root and so on, everything is pretty easy to understand....until u get to the developers role.....that I can even say is tough sometimes....

Upvote 0
[DT];1246405 said:
Trust me, I've tried all sorts of tweaks and methodologies to accommodate iTunes. I'm not some anti-Apple hardass, if something works, and it's a better solution, I'll use it. I'm pretty pragmatic with technology and I've been hands on for quite a long time (I've been in the industry 20+ years)...[snip]
I agree! If something works then use it. With that said, I'm on a mac and between iPhoto and iTunes my syncing is painfree. I can sort thru metadata with ease and dropping in random media is cake with playlists, etc. One huge missing thing on the Captivate is the ability to import playlists.

Apple is still stuck with the same interface, which worked for them ever since, but what's going to be their answer when Android enhances the UI? Then on top of that Samsung Galaxy S (2) i9200 I believe.....2Ghz Processor, 8MPX camera, 1080p HD recording and plus Gingerbread 3.0 coming early next year....How will Apple compete with that?
Anybody that has played in the tech field knows that specs are only half the story. 2GHz processor? Sounds great but my 1GHz Hummingbird is already sucking the battery dry. How are they going to manage the battery issue? Make you carry a 1" thick phone? What good is 8MP if the lens sucks? Look at the EVO. It has a 8MP camera and looks like ass. I'd rate the Captivate's 5MP camera way over the EVO.

Gingerbread UI? Nobody knows what it looks like. It could be great or it could be lame. The photo gallery on the Captivate is from Cooliris, not Android. Meanwhile, android doesn't even have a solid media player. You have to download 3rd party and none work flawlessly even though the playback specs are higher than on iPhone.

I think the big difference I'm seeing between iPhone and Android is this:

• Apple is slow to implement features but pretty much perfects the features it has in regards to usability and robustness. They have the advantage of controlling the hardware AND software.
  • Android is more open and has more features but the devs and hardware vendors don't always pump out a quality product. Some apps are half-assed and some features are implemented in a clunky fashion.

Upvote 0
I agree! If something works then use it. With that said, I'm on a mac and between iPhoto and iTunes my syncing is painfree. I can sort thru metadata with ease and dropping in random media is cake with playlists, etc. One huge missing thing on the Captivate is the ability to import playlists.

Anybody that has played in the tech field knows that specs are only half the story. 2GHz processor? Sounds great but my 1GHz Hummingbird is already sucking the battery dry. How are they going to manage the battery issue? Make you carry a 1" thick phone? What good is 8MP if the lens sucks? Look at the EVO. It has a 8MP camera and looks like ass. I'd rate the Captivate's 5MP camera way over the EVO.

Gingerbread UI? Nobody knows what it looks like. It could be great or it could be lame. The photo gallery on the Captivate is from Cooliris, not Android. Meanwhile, android doesn't even have a solid media player. You have to download 3rd party and none work flawlessly even though the playback specs are higher than on iPhone.

I think the big difference I'm seeing between iPhone and Android is this:

• Apple is slow to implement features but pretty much perfects the features it has in regards to usability and robustness. They have the advantage of controlling the hardware AND software.
  • Android is more open and has more features but the devs and hardware vendors don't always pump out a quality product. Some apps are half-assed and some features are implemented in a clunky fashion.

Good point. I just know Samsung to provide great quality in their phones. The 1Ghz Hummingbird outperforms the likes of the Snapdragon and even the Droid X's OMAP 1Ghz. The quality in their camera is also nice as well. As far as battery, I see exactly what you mean, that's a valid point.

These phones are advancing at such a fast rate, but the battery part of the phone isn't saying to much. As far as the Google UI for 3.0, it's going to look similar to it. Google's goal is to reduce the need for so much HTC Sense, TW, and Moto Blur.

Upvote 0
Yeah I feel the same way. I can go without plugging in my phone and all of a sudden it starts to sync.

Android is still young whether people want to realize it or not. It's come out after the iPhone and has come such a long way in s short period of time. Android has a firmware (Froyo) that has Flash support.....REAL flash support. Apple still has yet to implement that into their builds. If anyone have used the Gallery in the Captivate....they're basically looking at the next Android build.....3.0 (Gingerbread). The animations, and how smooth it is definitely is something to look forward to. Android basically just used the first few builds to basically get the major stuff they want into a phone, before they add the eye candy.

Apple is still stuck with the same interface, which worked for them ever since, but what's going to be their answer when Android enhances the UI? Then on top of that Samsung Galaxy S (2) i9200 I believe.....2Ghz Processor, 8MPX camera, 1080p HD recording and plus Gingerbread 3.0 coming early next year....How will Apple compete with that? Android is changing, evolving and advancing faster than any previous operating system for ANY phone. Android provides open-source everything... the Android base is so HUGE that nothing will go without being known. You can put leaks, customize, even enhance the performance of your phone just by switching kernels and what not. You can enhance the features of a build and make it your own. How does Apple provide that for their consumers? (Don't Answer). Apple is nice YES, I love Macs, shoot I'll even use a iTouch, iPad even, but I won't invest into a iPhone 4. Go and look at the AT&T website....Look at the reviews for the Captivate, and see how many people exchanged their iPhone for a Captivate; or even see those who anticipated on getting the iPhone 4, and ended up getting the Captivate. This phone is a BEAST, hands down. When Froyo hits and gets ported over to the Captivate within the next 24-48 hours or so, everyone who has doubts in the Captivate will see exactly why we Android fans go so hard for these phones.

However I believe that Android's greatest assets are also it's biggest flaws, and Google might need to tighten them up around Gingerbread (which they seem to have already by giving "recommended" specs). Open source also applies to the carriers and this is exactly why some of the more hardcore don't support Android. No one wants to wait year for updates and not get them, and cell phone companies use this to their full advantages. Many older Android users who use the Captivate warn us of getting our hopes about updates and recommend that we use the device assuming we'll never see an update for it. It's not a company's job to be make their consumers happy (although it helps), but to sell phones. You know how Apple competes with the Samsung Galaxy S (2) i9200 I believe.....2Ghz Processor, 8MPX camera, 1080p HD recording and plus Gingerbread 3.0 phone? By releasing that same phone a few months later, updating it regularly, and making sure they don't leave customers in the dust for a year. This is the greatest advantage that Apple has: not making a new super powerful phone every 3 weeks that gets lost in the shuffle.

I think Android has a lot of potential, and it's a better operating system than iOS, but the open sourced nature of it is perfect for leaving the consumer in the dust. If these manufactures cared about the consumer as much as they let on, they'd release EVERYTHING related to these phones so the community can put 2.2 or Gingerbread on it themselves. But then again, they got a new phone to sell in a few months.

Upvote 0
(snip...) Go and look at the AT&T website....Look at the reviews for the Captivate, and see how many people exchanged their iPhone for a Captivate; or even see those who anticipated on getting the iPhone 4, and ended up getting the Captivate. This phone is a BEAST, hands down. When Froyo hits and gets ported over to the Captivate within the next 24-48 hours or so, everyone who has doubts in the Captivate will see exactly why we Android fans go so hard for these phones.

I admire your zeal, you remind me of some die-hard Apple fans that I know ;) j/k

Just a couple things to bring a little balance. First, I'm a former iPhone 4 owner who returned my phone due to the proximity sensor issue. If you're not aware of what that is, consider yourself lucky. Anyway, my plan was to pick up a Captivate as soon as my contract & upgrade eligibility reset. I was also considering jumping ship and picking up a Droid X. After much research, using these devices, and hanging out on forums like this one, I've learned that all three of these phones have major issues. I'm disgusted and frustrated with the current state of affairs with the newest devices on the smartphone market right now - what happened to quality and testing? I just want the best phone that fits my needs, I don't care if it's iOS, Android, or (heaven forbid) Windows Mobile or Blackberry. On one hand, I like the "just works-ness" of the iPhone, on the other hand I love everything that Android brings to the table (well, almost). It's a tough decision right now, for me it's come down to "which manufacturer is going to fix their phone first?". But I digress...

To address some of the points you made:

Android has a firmware (Froyo) that has Flash support.....REAL flash support. Apple still has yet to implement that into their builds.

Apple will never add Flash support. They've made it clear they're embracing HTML5. Only time will tell if that was a wise decision. I will say that I rarely interact with Flash content on the web, and I sure haven't missed Flash support on any smartphone I've owned over the past 5 years. That's just me though, I know a lot of people are looking forward to Flash support.

Apple is still stuck with the same interface, which worked for them ever since, but what's going to be their answer when Android enhances the UI? Then on top of that Samsung Galaxy S (2) i9200 I believe.....2Ghz Processor, 8MPX camera, 1080p HD recording and plus Gingerbread 3.0 coming early next year....How will Apple compete with that?

I think it's a mistake to think that Apple is going to remain stagnant and not continue to evolve and compete. Apple has always had a tendency to make you think they're sitting back, then they come out with something that sells like hot cakes. They innovate in very specific, targeted areas (unlike Google who seems to try to blast innovation out in every direction - I'm not saying that either philosophy is better than the other). And when Apple isn't quite "innovating", they've been known to latch on to something and reinvent it and incorporate it in a much more elegant and integrated fashion. All I'm saying is Apple isn't perfect, but they're not stupid either. They're not going to sit back and let Android eat their lunch. Personally I believe the marketplace needs the yin and yang of iOS and Android.

Android provides open-source everything... the Android base is so HUGE that nothing will go without being known. You can put leaks, customize, even enhance the performance of your phone just by switching kernels and what not. You can enhance the features of a build and make it your own. How does Apple provide that for their consumers?"

Apple doesn't *have* to provide that for their customers (and they never will). Regardless of which model you prefer, most people don't care about (or want to think about) custom ROMs or flashing their phones. I'm not talking about you or me or others on these forums. For iPhone owners who want to customize, jailbreaking provides just enough flexibility (which I realize is much different and more limited than what you're talking about with Android). I've been a programmer for 15 years. I work with about 200 other programmers, designers, and technologists. The vast majority own either iPhones or Blackberrys. They're all knowledgeable about Android and what it offers -- much of the work we do is developing web apps (both for desktop and mobile browsers), so we have to support everything that's out there. I'm just saying that even a lot of technology geeks aren't excited about Android, custom ROMs, etc. Maybe it's because when you wrestle with code all day, the last thing you want to do is spend time hacking your phone when you get home at night ;)

I hear the open-source/openness argument a lot as a point in favor of Google. I'd say it's a tradeoff. Sure Apple has a "walled garden" (boy I'm getting tired of that term), but it's an extremely high-quality, highly-functional, and elegant "garden". Yes they have been heavy handed with what they've allowed (and not allowed) on their iDevices. Again jailbreaking usually provides enough for those that love the iPhone but are bothered by the restrictions. On the other hand, the Android platform is open, right? In reality, only some Android devices are actually open (what's up with manufacturers like Motorola starting to lock their devices down????). Then carriers routinely load these otherwise awesome devices with bloatware and sub-standard UI overlays, and then they try to lock them down so that you can't sideload unauthorized apps (sound familiar)? So stock Android may be open, but the end result is that a lot of manufacturers and carriers do their best to lock it down anyway. Oh how I wish wish wish that Google had the same pull with carriers that Apple does. I read somewhere that Apple considers it's users to be their customers, where Google considers the manufacturers and carriers to be their customers. Maybe that's true. At least Apple doesn't allow carriers to load crapware and dodgy UI overlays on the iPhone. I understand that Android's licensing terms allow this, so there's not much that can be done about it (except to hack it of course). Further, Google may be "open", but they're also the ones that seem to agree with Zuckerberg's assertion that privacy is dead. Google needs access to your data to make their business model work. Your gmail is parsed by bots so that they can serve you more "relevant" ads. Google has been caught with their hand in the cookie jar more than once (the whole WiFi debacle). I guess it's safe to say that Google is so open that they consider everything to be open (including all your data) ;)

My last point on the "openness" of Android -- I find it odd that email/calendar/contacts can be such a problem on Android. You're golden if you use Google's services, but if you use Yahoo or some others or even Exchange, you're going to run into issues. On the iPhone, my Yahoo, Google, MobileMe, and Exchange calendars would all sync up OTA and appear in one unified (if I wanted it to be unified) color-coded calendar, and my email from all of these providers would be pushed and appear in one unified (if I wanted it to be unified) inbox. It all "just worked." On the forums I've read thread after thread about how everyone has to jump through hoops to get non-Google email and calendar events to sync up seamlessly (if they can get it to work at all). Turns out full Exchange support won't really happen until Froyo (even though everyone advertises it in the current OS). It blows my mind that you have to buy a 3rd-party email or calendar app, or use something like the stand-alone Yahoo app, to get this stuff to work. Shouldn't an "open" platform support these other non-Google services? After all, Apple supports services other than their own MobileMe service. I don't know if these problems are with 2.1 or Touchwiz or what, but I hope it's all addressed in Froyo. Anyway, it's all a tradeoff and it's not as clear-cut as any die-hard Apple or Android fan would have you believe.

Well you probably can't tell, but I'm actually pulling for Android and for the current issues with the Captivate to get fixed. Even with the reservations I have with Samsung, the issues with this phone, and with the availability of Froyo, I would love to be using a Captivate as my next phone. On paper it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0
You know how Apple competes with the Samsung Galaxy S (2) i9200 I believe.....2Ghz Processor, 8MPX camera, 1080p HD recording and plus Gingerbread 3.0 phone? By releasing that same phone a few months later, updating it regularly, and making sure they don't leave customers in the dust for a year. This is the greatest advantage that Apple has: not making a new super powerful phone every 3 weeks that gets lost in the shuffle.

I think Android has a lot of potential, and it's a better operating system than iOS, but the open sourced nature of it is perfect for leaving the consumer in the dust. If these manufactures cared about the consumer as much as they let on, they'd release EVERYTHING related to these phones so the community can put 2.2 or Gingerbread on it themselves. But then again, they got a new phone to sell in a few months.

Wow, you hit it on the head. This is one of my main concerns about moving from the iPhone to the Captivate, though I still really want to...

Upvote 0

I actually meant to ask if you were on a Mac! A Mac user's expectations are a bit different and I think the whole usage model for OSX just kind of seamlessly blends in with iTunes and iDevices.

On a Winders

Upvote 0
I am thinking about returning my Captivate for an Iphone 4.

I got it for $199 so.. it would be a even swap for the Iphone 4. I really want to keep my Captivate and make it work but I just don't know:
I have both an iPhone 4 & Captivate. I like to be open minded and focus on each phones pros, and try to minimize the cons. I've had each of these since they were released. Both phones have performed well with no major issues. Based on nothing more than your post my first tought is you got a defective Captivate. No matter which brand all phones are mass produced and a few are bound to be defective. My first Captivate ran perfectly for thirty min. Then it would shut down. I returned it, and the second one is flawless.

While I also enjoy my iPhone 4, I greatly prefer the Captivate. In my opinion the 4" display is the ideal size between the almost too small 3.5" equipped iphone, and my somewhat bulky Droid X.

Also I get far better battery life from the Captivate. Its well known amongst display experts that Super AMOLED only requires sixty percent as much power as TFT and other technologies.

Upvote 0
A few additional thoughts about Android ver 2.1 and the Captivate. Human nature can be negative, being too quick to judge.

I've owned a lot of different brands and models of smartphones. For an OS as young as Android I'm finding eclair to function very well. In addition as a true tech lover & early adopter it's all to easy to get caught up in the desire to have the latest and greatest when in many cases what I'm currently using is doing the job well.
This time around I'm taking a new approach and plan to stick with eclair for another six months rather that migrating to Froyo upon release.

I've spent block of time optimizing this device to my liking, it's time to sit back and enjoy it.

~ posted via Captivate ~.

Upvote 0
I need help! This is my first smartphone and for some reason I cannot send an MMS. I have had the phone a week and have tried several times and each time it fails. Any help?

there is a problem with att, the phone has trouble sending pics over edge. i have a hard time sending them as well, however if i am in a 3g area it works fine. try putting it on lower quality, some people have success with that

Upvote 0
an iPhone. My phone's (a Nokia 6650) screen shorted out and became useless yesterday, so today I went to the AT&T store to see what my options were. Turns out, after sweet talking the manager a bit, my Sept 30th upgrade date can be pushed forward so I can go ahead and replace the broken phone. So the question was Captivate or iPhone...and I ended up ordering the iPhone instead.

Now, here's my reasoning. I'm not an iPhone fan boy, I've been VERY interest in android and researched it throughly. And what I decided is that the hardware and software are almost there in terms of some aspects, and a little less polished in others, but right now, when I need a new phone, the Captivate just isn't compelling enough to commit to for 2 years. I know the iPhone 4, SJ's new baby, is going to remain at least somewhat relevant throughout until my next upgrade. Im very experienced with the OS, though never owning an iPhone of my own before (I have an ipod touch,etc).

I also just can't help but feel like there will be much better androids on AT&T sooner or later, but the Captivate just doesn't quite do it for me. The GPS issue is also a big drawback.

I've enjoyed reading these forums though, and think the Android community is one of the most impressive and crucial advantages android has, and I'm going to keep up with the developments, but I just feel like the iPhone has a longevity edge right now. I'm stuck on AT&T and the Android offerings just aren't quite better yet. If AT&T had the R2-D2 Droid, I would be on that in an instant, but the Captivate just didn't ::ahem:: captivate me. Sorry about the pun

Upvote 0
Not that you asked, but I don't agree with your decision for multiple reasons. As there have been way too many posts regarding the GPS issue, there have also been too many posts regarding iPhone vs. Captivate. Plus, I believe there's a 10,000 word limit for replies (so much to say, so little room to say it in) ;).

In any event, you're prose is courteous and your respect for this forum admirable, so...best wishes moving forward.

Reactions: Lostsoul
Upvote 0
I had a "texting phone" and got my first smartphone in July when I got the iPhone 4. It was the sickest thing ever! I think i loved the iPhone so much cuz it was my first smartphone. I did some research and sold my iPhone 30 days later and got the Captivate. I have never looked back. Apple limits you SO much, and Android just gives you freedom and the ability to customize anything you can imagine.

GPS thing does suck cuz I loved it on the iPhone, but it apparently being addressed.

And I disagree about ATT and other phones. The Galaxy S series is an amazing device, and the screen technology is patented for a year....by that time, it will almost be time for a new upgrade for me! Plus we've seen the Xperia and blackberry torch come out, and do nothing against the Captivate.

Either way, good luck and I hope you enjoy your iphone! :) I did for a bit, but I just had the feeling of wanting more.

Upvote 0
For me, the primary selling point is that my Captivate cost nothing, while an iPhone 4 would cost $215 with tax (I paid for the GF's).

And, I like the concept of being able to SSH to it and do admin on it with proper unix tools. Even raw bluetooth file transfer is better than iTunes (And I have had Macs since the Plus, SE, SE/30, IIci, IIfx, NeXTs since 1989, etc).

But, to me, the iPhone is a more polished device. Though, with both phones, AT&T is your provider, and that's the biggest negative for me. Anyway, both have pros and cons, and neither really suck.

Upvote 0
You really can't go wrong with either phone! They are both awesome.

Personally the Captivate was a much better option for me. The screen on the iPhone 4 looks so small and dull after using the Captivate for a few weeks. Also, the iPhone 4 hardware feels a little clunky to me compared to the Captivate (I could be crazy but the iPhone 4 def feels a bit heavier to me). I'm not worried about longevity since the Captivate has the latest processor in it. I'm sure it'll still be running apps in two years :). And yes the Captivate is much more customizable.

I agree though - the GPS issue is a pain. I'm really hoping they can repair the drivers. Mine works great in clear weather conditions but really struggles when it's overcast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones