• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrier prefix..

Yep there have been loads of threads here about doing that. Personally I think its detrimental as many issues will be the same whether its verizon or international which means things will get duplicated unnecessarily.

I think its less detrimental than leaving it a jumbled mess though. I really want everything to stay together but this is the only way I think it can be made to work.

My idea has 2 opt out systems

1. Don't put carrier in user cp (although rather they did)

2. Next to the "include signature in post" tick box is a "include carrier in title" tick box. Ticked by default but untickable if not relevant.

It could just put [vzw] at the end of the title...

Upvote 0
Heres an idea to add to the brainstorm. No solution, just another idear.
I don't know if I've seen this on some other forum or mobile news site, I'm not sure which one or where it would be. (Hopefully it doesn't come across like idea stealing.)

What about a carrier icon instead? Every carrier has a well known logo/brand. Perhaps A visual indicator might be better than looking at [VZW] [Sprint] [ATT] [ETC.]

Pros: nice clean look, nothing extra to read, doesn't clutter up titles, doesn't add to the amount of tags out there, would be kinda cool to have them added in the smilies/post icons database,

A few cons might be: copyright/trademark issues?, might add to the visual clutter?, millisecond slower load times?, hard to add to the back end of the forum architecture?, someone with vector art experience would be needed to draft a nice set of small universal icons, not every thread needs a carrier noted - is the amount that do need a [tag] worth the trouble of changing the visual appearance of the website? ie wasted space, doesn't answer the question of where the carrier data will come from or how/when to implement during the topic creation process, won't work with TT

I've mocked up an idea, in MS paint, using icons I've borrowed from here found during a google search: GUAR
I grabbed a screen capture from the multi-carrier Note 2 general forum. It turns out after I checked every thread on the topic list absolutely none of them were carrier specific, so what you see below is not representative of actual needs. Just a render.

Sorry these look so bad. The albums for the forum here must have compressed the file size and added some artifacts to the pictures. You get the idea though and I don't have to use an outside filehost.
pyrosporker-albums-carrier-picture7297-board-before-title.jpg

pyrosporker-albums-carrier-picture7298-board-after-title.jpg

pyrosporker-albums-carrier-picture7299-board-last.jpg

Upvote 0
I think that if this were implemented that:
1) it would not be an automated tag and
2) guides (now this includes me :p )/mods will (as usual) fix any tags that are not correct.

And I also use TT so the picture tags wouldn't help me nor anyone else who is always on it. But otherwise,I like the idea if it could work with TT. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones