• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Rooting

adamc5739

Jan 23, 2012
Hi, I have an HTC EVO 3d. I'm a newbie to android and I keep hearing about rooting. Can anyone explain to me what rooting is? Should i root? I'm pretty happy with my phone but I would like a new version of android and maybe a better battery. How do you root? Do you take it to a phone store and they "root" it? Do you do it on your own? Is it risky? What does it do? Does it really improve your phone? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks to everyone in advance :D

Hi, I have an HTC EVO 3d. I'm a newbie to android and I keep hearing about rooting. Can anyone explain to me what rooting is? Should i root? I'm pretty happy with my phone but I would like a new version of android and maybe a better battery. How do you root? Do you take it to a phone store and they "root" it? Do you do it on your own? Is it risky? What does it do? Does it really improve your phone? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks to everyone in advance :D

Hello adamc. First of all, let's get your question into the EVO 3D general area (I've just now moved it for you ;)), then let's direct you to the Root Guide sticky in the All Things Root sub-forum:

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/495121-htc-evo-3d-all-things-root-guide.html

That's where you'll find root info for the EVO 3D.

Now let's see what others here have to say about whether to rood the device or not to. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Adam,

I think Frisco mistakenly moved your thread to the Evo 3D general forum instead of the All Things Root forum. But yes, that guide gives a good listing of what rooting is, how to do it, and some resources to get you started.

But the first thing you need to find out is which HBOOT you are on. There is an easy way and a more accurate way of determining this. If you have accepted every OTA and/or are on Android 2.3.4, you have HBOOT 1.5 and the process will be a little more difficult. If you are still on Android 2.3.3, you likely have HBOOT 1.3 or 1.4.

The more accurate way of determining it is to reboot into the bootloader and look at the HBOOT number. If you pull out the battery and put it back in, then hold volume down + power, you will get into the bootloader.

I can direct you once you confirm your HBOOT version.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones