• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Changing gmail email addy, or account?

goughy

Jul 30, 2010
I'm a bit of a gumby with this stuff, but I hate my gmail accout/email addy that it set up when I created my account when I got my phone. How do I go around changing it? Do I have to delete the account, which doesn't really bother me as such cause I don't really use it straight up. But obviously I do use it with my phone (galaxy s) and I sync my contacts and calendar from my phone to gmail, and then from gmail to outlook via gmail calendar sync.

What I'm worried about is losing the info on my phone! If I delete my gmail account on the web will it delete all my info on my phone? I only use the gmail calendar and gmail contacts.

Or can I set up a second gmail email addy using the name I want (which I'm sure is available)?

You might have to do a full reset of the phone to remove the GMail account. At least that was necessary when I replaced my son's Samsung Moment. There is no provision in Android to simply switch to a different GMail account. At the very least it would entail deleting the old account and then setting up the new one. I don't know if it will delete your contacts, but it's best to get the new GMail account established and set up with all your contacts prior to attempting to change the account on the phone. You'll have to export your old contact list on GMail to a CVS file and then use that file to import the contacts to the new GMail account.

Upvote 0
If you try to remove the original gmail account, it requires you to reset you phone. However, you can do this:
Set up your new gmail account.
Go to Settings on your phone, then to Accounts and Sync. Push Add account and add your new Gmail account.
Next, go back into Accounts and Sync. Click on your original gmail account. You can uncheck what you want don't want to sync from your old account. So you can uncheck all of them. Now, the only thing really synced to your phone is the new Gmail.

Upvote 0
Thanks Mjskers. I created a new google account on my pc. I go in to add an existing account and it goes to the communicating with google servers screen, but I en up getting a message 'Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services'. I also get the message if I try and create a new google account from my phone. But I can go into google maps and get my location and direction info, and I can sync my existing google account, send email etc, and use the browser. I'm getting this over wifi and data connection.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: exergy
Upvote 0
Hi goughy,

Have you overcome your problem ? If so, can you please share how. I have one gmail ID currently set up and that's the one I use for all Marketplace and other purposes. For a specific reason (Contacts), I want to add another gmail ID too. While I could add the 2nd ID to integrated mailbox and fetch emails, I am unable to add it to 'Contact' side or Accounts and Sync side. Same error as you have explained. Very frustrating. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones