• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging issue for S3?

Verxl

Lurker
Aug 13, 2015
Sorry if this problem has been answered before, but I've been doing a lot of searching and haven't found this exact issue. Signed up for an account here just to look for some help!

So I have had my S3 for nearly two years now, and I've got a problem with it not charging right. Strangely enough, this only started happening after I moved.

As of right now, my phone will ONLY charged when off, AND plugged directly into either a computer or my car (car has a USB port). I cannot get it to charge in the wall at all. Also, when the phone is on and plugged into the computer, it will show the red charging light, and the lightning icon on the battery, but will still lose charge instead of gaining even if it just sits there in sleep while I'm on the computer. I have tried about 4 or 5 different charging cords and have also tried a few different "heads" (I have one charger that is direct wall to phone, the rest are USB wall chargers). I've tried different outlets too. My wife's phone and her tablet charge on the same cords without any issues, but when I plug it into a wall charger when off it will occasionally show the empty battery with the lightning bolt and buzz, but won't actually charge.

A few weeks ago when testing, it would wall charge while turned on, but it had to sit for over 5 minutes before it finally detected the charging. Now I can't even get that much. I'm not sure what else to look for in the phone to help out, so if I need anymore information to find a solution other than "get a new phone", let me know! I'd much rather this be a battery issue, but it's so specific that I'm not sure that's the case.

Gave it a shot. The phone is 19 months old. I opened up the back of the phone just now and remembered how awful it looked the first time I did for my S2, but everything actually looked like it was in great condition. I gave it a little run down with an eraser and put it back in, tested charging in the wall and still getting where it buzzes, shows the empty battery with the lightning bolt in it, and then fades away, buzzes again and repeats about every 20 seconds or so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones