• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging issues

pbf98

Android Expert
Oct 16, 2011
MN
I just recieved a certified "like new" razr to replace my last razr under warranty, due to the microphone not working. This phone looks new, but there are a couple things that stand out that are nothing close to new.

The biggest thing is charging. The first night I had it, everything was fine, the next night not so much, it stopped charging in the middle of the night and I awoke to a phone with 15% battery left and was almost too hot to touch. That happened a few more nights as well. This last time that it happened (last night) is where I start asking questions. Last night I plug it in at 20% and it says charging, so I put it down on the table next to my bed, this morning I look up at my clock to see that it is 7:15 AM (45 min after my first alarm was scheduled to go off). I then pick up my phone which is still plugged in sitting exactly where I left it, try pressing the unlock/ power button, and nothing happens. I then unplug it and plug it back in, and then it shows the battery charging screen at 0%. After getting out the shower only 10 minutes later it says its already at 20%, the first time I had to charge this phone from 0% it took much longer than 10 minutes to get to 20%.

Another thing I have noticed with my battery, while its charging (sometimes) it will not change at all for over 2 hours. Depending on how much I use it at work, I'll need to charge it after my lunch break, and there are some days where I plug it in at 3:00PM and its at 40%, and I'll unplug it after no use of it at 5 and its still at 40%.

The charger I have at home is the charger I got with my original razr, the charger at work is a charger from an older Motorola I had. Both using Motorola usb cables (though don't really think that would affect it)

Can anyone offer any ideas as to what they think could be wrong, or if I should go in and complain about my certified "like new" phone.

Thanks all for any help!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones