1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Chatting with my BBM contacts

Last Updated:

1. domochomo

domochomo Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so this is my first post here...just got a Sprint HTC Hero yesterday and I love it. Came from a Blackberry Curve 8530 and I'm definitely happier, with one exception; I can't figure out how to chat with my Blackberry Messenger contacts.

Now, I've been looking for an app that will chat with IMs (INCLUDING BBM) but have had no such luck. The thing is I was using BBM and a friend who had a Droid was IMing me on my BBM. Clearly there is a way to IM people using BBM from an Android messaging app, but I can't figure out what app she was using! She's really vague about it now that I have a Hero, she says "Umm the guy at Verizon set it up for me and I can't remember what it's called, unitext or unimessage or something. The icon is a fiery smiley face." Does this ring any bells for anyone here?

To be clear: I know you can't get BBM for Android, I just want to be able to IM the contacts I already have on my BBM contact list. Help an Android noob!

Advertisement
    2linford likes this.
  2. shovelheadhd

shovelheadhd Member

I have never found a way to do this and I believe what you thought was someone IMing you was actually part of BBM 5.0. You can setup contacts on BBM and instead of coming in through your messages or SMS folder they show up in BBM. This is how my sms messages appers from my droid to my wifes storm 2.

You may want to talk some of your BBM friends into downloading google talk or another regular I'M program.

Hope this answers your question.

3. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

There is no way to talk to a BBM Pin contact unless you have a blackberry.

The best alternative that most people use is Google Talk

4. domochomo

domochomo Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm, I see. I wondered how that was possible, either she or I was mistaken. Well, I'll make sure they get onto an IM client I can use with my Hero, then.

Thanks, guys! Be prepared for more stupid questions from me as time goes on!

5. saecrow

saecrow Active Member

domochomo. . . not sure, but this may meet your needs.

from the official site here:

cnectd(",) is a mobile messaging & social networking application that lets you chat across iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and Nokia devices. Chat, share images, locations and connect to facebook!

6. msl80

msl80 Member

Yes cnectd is the app you can install on your device which will allow you to IM all your friends who have android, BB and Iphones. I use it and its the next best thing to bbm which is one reason I dreaded switching to the android but now I'm loving it. I use cnectd and all you have to do is dwnld the app, set up an acct and have your friends to do the same and then you guy can chat through IM.....pretty cool.

7. rec1403

rec1403 New Member

i think its about time til they find the way to use BBM on androids... iphone users already can use BBM

8. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's not too long for us then rec. Keep your eyes open on the web.

9. namoroman

namoroman Well-Known Member

No, they can't. That's simply not possible. BBM is a proprietary Blackberry messaging system that sends messages from one Blackberry to another. It cannot function without the Blackberrys built in PIN code that's embedded in its hardware/software etc.

Messages sent via Blackberry Messenger are sent over the BlackBerry PIN system; thus, communication is only possible between two BlackBerry devices.

RIM does not lend or license this system, even if they wanted to, the system on an iphone wouldn't support it.

10. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

The best alternative is Ping if you ask me. Works on iPhone, Android and BB and works just like BBM.

http://www.pingchat.com/

bigj21android likes this.
  11. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

^ This. It's not just "RIM's PIN system" but RIM's entire infrastructure that makes BB's work. You don't have access to the infrastructure without access to the BB APN. You don't get access to the BB APN without a BB data plan.

There are many cross-platform IM solutions out there that can be used with BB users.

Citation? IM'ing with a BB != BBM. See above.

12. 12693

12693 New Member

if u think bbm should be available for android why not send them messages cause then blackberry could use the app store it could work great

13. Ti-Mike

Ti-Mike New Member

i am more then happy with whatsapp....all phones work

14. Braf

Braf New Member

Blackberry briefly allowed some Nokia handsets to interact on their network. It was restricted to their business centric handsets and was very short lived.

15. Mothproofbean

Mothproofbean New Member

Ping Chat, search for it on the market it's free. A lot of people use Ping simply because it's pretty much like IM and it's a multi-'platform' app. By platform I mean Androids, Iphones, Smartphones can use it.

16. Phøenix

Phøenix Member

17. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

There's a BBM client coming to Android soon.

yippiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

18. barqers

barqers Well-Known Member

[quote="Ph

19. bigj21android

bigj21android New Member

What up people. I was just thinking, what about Bump? I could have sworn that I have seen bump on a BB

20. bigj21android

bigj21android New Member

Sorry Guys my bad :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(Bump is not available on Blackberry. According to the manufacturer's site, it says it is only iPhone and android compatible.

21. gjunki

gjunki Member

Bbm cant work on ios or android. best alternative is whatsapp

22. jmarcel66

jmarcel66 New Member

Other than Cnectd, is there any BBM style group chat app that allows the Permanent Chat group setup. We've been having some issue w/Cnectd lately and looking for an alternative. We use a specific chat group that members can join w/permission.

23. Phøenix

Phøenix Member