• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cheap (yet cool) android phones - under $40?

I've had my motorola droid for a while, and I'm sick of it's constant wifi problem (constantly goes off and on for no reason). On top of that, my ex gave it to me..So I'm pretty much sick of it in general..

I currently don't have any phone service (I Only use wifi), so I was wondering if there are any Good, cheap (even old) android phones out there that I could buy from like Amazon for under $40..Led Notification would be great, but it isn't needed. I've tried to look on Google (of course), but didn't find anything too decent in particular..Any recommendations?

for that price what you'll get is an unreliable, crash-and-lag-prone device with a very short battery life of about 4-6 hours. usually running an ancient version of Android such as 2.2 or 2.3. that price range is common for phones from Straight Talk, Net10, and so on, usually branded as a Samsung Galaxy Centura or ZTE Merit, and i'm sure they're just badge-engineered and have no real ties with Samsung or ZTE or so on.

If what you want is something to use wifi calling with i'd go looking for a secondhand iPhone like a 3GS or an iPod touch used. they go super cheap these days but have a more fluid UI and last longer since there are no cell radios on the latter as far as battery goes. just put Google Voice or Pinger on there and enjoy.

Upvote 0
I've had my motorola droid for a while, and I'm sick of it's constant wifi problem (constantly goes off and on for no reason). On top of that, my ex gave it to me..So I'm pretty much sick of it in general..

I currently don't have any phone service (I Only use wifi), so I was wondering if there are any Good, cheap (even old) android phones out there that I could buy from like Amazon for under $40..Led Notification would be great, but it isn't needed. I've tried to look on Google (of course), but didn't find anything too decent in particular..Any recommendations?

Check on Ebay,Was looking and found the Kyocera Hydro for under $40.
But you just have to look.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones