• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Choosing a budget android T-mobile phone

musiclvr56

Aug 21, 2016
I love my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime that still works even though the glass is cracked, but it appears they are not making them for T-mobile anymore. I was looking into a LG K7 but I read that "you cannot transfer or move any app into your sd card. So technically the SD card slot is USELESS" Also looked at the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime but reviews stated that there were problems with the volume.

Lastly, I was interested in the Motorola E second generation which got rave reviews but my son says that this phone did a software update and wouldn't work with T-mobile because it doesn't have Band 12. I am not super tech savvy so don't understand this. When I looked at Amazon's page there was a chart and it said voice/text was "partial". I asked my son what that meant so that is when he told me this phone wouldn't work with T Mobile. Regarding this someone said "If it is the XT1527 model yes it will work on T-Mobile in most locations that T-Mobile has service since the device supports Band 2 and Band 4 LTE which are T-Mobile's primary LTE channels. He is correct that the phone doesn't support Band 12 (nor does any model of the the Moto E). Band 12 (700 Mhz A Block) is T-Mobile's low band spectrum acquired from Verizon and other parties and that T-Mobile markets as Extended LTE. Low band penetrates buildings and other objects better and the signal carriers significantly farther than the higher bands (which 2 and 4 are). Not all T-Mobile markets have Band 12 so if you are not in one of those markets and don't venture out of that market then obviously having it isn't as paramount. However if you are in a Band 12 market or one where T-Mobile owns that spectrum and is just waiting for the channel 51 issue to be resolved in that market or other FCC approvals that are pending then you definitely want a phone that supports that."

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated! I don't need a high end phone and I don't watch movies, put songs on the phone (I use an Ipod Nano) and don't game. I would like to pay $100-$150 for a phone. Would prefer one with a 4 1/2" screen like the one I have but they are making most of them 5" so I'll probably have to go with that. I live in Massachusetts and I believe it is not cost effective to have my phone fixed.

Thanks!
Karen

I think I just learned more from you (your son) than I could possibly offer in return. Thank you. Sounds like you have plenty of info to go on. The only thing I could add. Don't limit your choices to new devices. There are plenty of used devices that can do what you want and more.
This site is very popular with Android enthusiasts.

https://swappa.com/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones