• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chrome freezes when trying to scroll

bkenobi69

Jul 10, 2012
I have a Motorola Droid 4 running ICS that I use with Chrome for web browsing. I constantly have freezing issues though I can't determine any common denominators between the sites. I've read moving ads cause issues but Google caused a crash this morning and I don't believe they ever have moving ads.

There are 2 scenarios that cause crashes though they could be partially related.

1) When the page is about 80% loaded, the phone often stops responding for quite some time even with good connectivity (both 4G and WiFi). The page either eventually loads after several minutes or I give up and reset the phone.

2) During page load, if I try to scroll the page down (drag finger up the screen) the phone becomes unresponsive. This is usually when the page is mostly loaded but I believe it also happens after the load meter is complete. In this scenario the phone generally recovers but the copy/paste header eventually displays.

In both cases I usually get the various crash dialogs for random apps as well as Chrome (wait, ok). Pressing either button is dramatically delayed and sometimes never takes requiring a restart.

I am fully up to date on all applications AFAIK. I have tried uninstalling or App Quarantine/Titanium Backup freeze to stop things that I've read eat CPU and aren't used anyway (Facebook, Twitter, Imgur, Motorola garbage, etc) but don't see much improvement.

I would love to fix this, but I'm not sure what else I can try at this point. If this is a known Chrome issue, what other browser would be better (Dolphin, FireFox, default, etc)?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones