City ID... how do you uninstall?Support

1. RWCouck

RWCouck Active Member

Okay what is this City ID app? Its always turned on in my task killer and I dont even know what it is or use it. Can anyone help, I tried unistalling it but it wont let me.

Advertisement
  2. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

It allows you to look up the city associated with a phone number.
  3. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

Is it like the WinMo version, as in merely a 15 day trial then a paid service?
  4. marcelob

marcelob Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing...

It's on the phone by default even though it's a 14-day trial of a paid program. I can't remove this from my phone, it won't even appear in any uninstall programs.

Very aggravating that they would force you to keep a trial of a paid program on your phone.

If anyone has any idea as to how we can remove it (without rooting), please let us know.
  5. lukem

lukem Well-Known Member

I don't see a way to uninstall it either. I actually want it but it should be uninstallable for those that don't.
  6. DMP84

DMP84 Active Member

When someone calls you it will tell you the city, state associated with that phone number as well. So when the task killer closes it, next time someone calls you it will activate city ID again.
  7. marcelob

marcelob Well-Known Member

Is there any reason to keep it if you don't expect to pay for the pro version though?

If it did what it says it does and it was free to use, I would have no issues with it. Putting a trial version of payware on a phone and making it so it can't be uninstalled is ridiculous, imo.
    thrillerbee likes this.
  8. lukem

lukem Well-Known Member

Not really, and I agree, they should have made it able to be uninstalled.
  9. BCM

BCM Well-Known Member

I really thought the app was clever and like seeing the city/state id coming up for incoming calls. The really annoying thing is that somehow the developers feel this app deserves the $1.99 per month subscription! If it were a one time fee they would get that easily but every month, gezzzz.
  10. jerksmile

jerksmile Member

Lame. I want to uninstall this app on principle alone...

Found at least one free app from the market that does the exact same thing.
  11. BCM

BCM Well-Known Member

What's it called???

Thanks,
    Bryan
  12. jerksmile

jerksmile Member

"worldcallplaceandtime", all scrunched together, is the one I'm using.
  13. NYC Coyote

NYC Coyote Well-Known Member

Anyone figure a way to uninstall it yet? I have tried Uninstaller and it hasn't worked. There are other uninstaller apps. I know we "theoretically" should be able to get rid of it once the phone is rooted......by going through the directories manually...

But until then.....
  14. jerksmile

jerksmile Member

Even using Astro, /system/app you then have the option once you click on it to select "uninstall" but it fails... I've got no idea.
  15. eleazar

eleazar Well-Known Member

Where does it talk about it being a trial? I noticed it running and I like the feature it provides, but I can't find anything about paying for it.
  16. DMP84

DMP84 Active Member

Bring up the complete list of Apps, find City ID.
  17. jerksmile

jerksmile Member

As soon as you open the app, click on "subscription status"
  18. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

Its not even right on mine. Mine and my wifes phones and our house line are based in philly. They didnt have any of the usually philly area codes so ours is a little different. Instead of philly it shows us as Doylestown so this thing is pointless.

I found it near the bottom in Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications but can't find a way to uninstall it from there.
  19. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

It's actually kinda funny. I'm reading this thread and my phone rings. After I ended the call, I got a full screen display that says somethinig to the effect of you are currently using CityID app on a free trial (with a logo). It then had two button options at the bottom: Subscribe or continue my 15-day trial. I'm guessing after 15 days it'll ask you to subscribe or remove. Doesn't seem like it will force you into using it.
  20. rovking

rovking Member

Just noticed it's only a trial and $3/mo after that. I don't know who worked on the pricing for the service but at $3/mo, I don't believe there will be too many takers. Just IMHO.

Will appreciate any help in uninstalling it.
  21. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

I'd like to know this as well. I don't want this thing spamming me in a month telling me to subscribe.
  22. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

i dont think you can without root.
  23. dalumberjack

dalumberjack Well-Known Member

if you have advanced task manager, you can use that app to uninstall other apps on the phone including city ID
  24. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

Nope. Have tried several different apps and not found one that works, Advanced Task Manager is among that list. Granted, I used the ad supported free version, but as far as I know, there shouldn't be a difference.

I can't seem to get rid of VVM or City ID. =(
  25. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

It says right in the HTC manual that you can not remove any of the apps pre-installed on this phone