• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help City ID... how do you uninstall?

City ID is annoying and yes, I've received 4 nags since I received my phone. I don't see any value in the product. All that said, I question anyone's assumption that Verizon will do anything about it. Their customer-no-service function is exhausting. They clearly are looking to gleen $ today without any thought of my commitment tomorrow. You gotta luv 2 year contracts. I love my Incredible, but HATE verizon!

Upvote 0
City ID is annoying and yes, I've received 4 nags since I received my phone. I don't see any value in the product. All that said, I question anyone's assumption that Verizon will do anything about it. Their customer-no-service function is exhausting. They clearly are looking to gleen $ today without any thought of my commitment tomorrow. You gotta luv 2 year contracts. I love my Incredible, but HATE verizon!

I agree with you. This software is a total scam! Everything about it is just GREEEEEED. Now if it functioned like real Caller ID, so the actual registered name shows if it's not saved in your phone, that would be cool. For now, I will s c a m them right back and force close it and re-load it for a continuous free trial :)

Upvote 0
Having to reset the data and deal with the nag screens isn't worth it to maintain access to what I consider a useless product anyway. I just want it to go away.

If I don't know a number, do I really care if it is registered in Salt Lake City or San Francisco? I'm not more likely to answer it based on this information. I can also determine that information for myself in literally 5 seconds using Google.

Upvote 0
Having to reset the data and deal with the nag screens isn't worth it to maintain access to what I consider a useless product anyway. I just want it to go away.

If I don't know a number, do I really care if it is registered in Salt Lake City or San Francisco? I'm not more likely to answer it based on this information. I can also determine that information for myself in literally 5 seconds using Google.
Yeah, I can understand that. I just think it's kind of cute in a way, or should I say interesting? Either way, here is what may be an issue. I've had the phone for almost a week now. But my sub status says I have 14 days left. I turned off the phone yesterday, can that have reset it? I just cleared the data and it's back to 15 days left.

Upvote 0
It's a holdover from the dumbphone days. Since you can't actually install apps like this on an enV or whatever, ALL of Verizon's phones come with it. I assume they're also expecting most people aren't bright enough to realize this fact.

Similarly, it's why they expect everyone to pay $30/mo for tethering when there's a perfectly good app that'll do it for a one time fee.

Upvote 0
Just FYI, this is the response I got from the company when I complained about it:

Thank you for your message. Because City ID is preloaded onto the HTC Incredible, it cannot be uninstalled from the device. The way to disable City ID is to select “No” at the end of the free trial, which ends 15 days after you receive the initial free trial notification. If you select “Remind Me Later,” or press the Back or End key (or a similar action) the trial expired message will appear after each incoming call (up to 10 times), so please be sure to select “No” upon the first expiration message to disable City ID.

If you are experiencing a City ID trial notification appearing more than after the fifth incoming call and on the 15th day when your trial expires, it is unusual and unintended behavior of the City ID product. We’d like to verify what you are experiencing and greatly appreciate any additional information you can provide to our team, such as the handset build version and other applications you are running, which will help us to try to reproduce the experience.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Best Regards,
The Cequint Team

Reactions: friend088
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones