• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

closed applications consuming battery

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to Android thing. Bought a Sony Xperia Ion two weeks back. I'm facing an issue. I was playing couple of games and was listening to music and then i closed them. After sometimes i saw that battery power is getting consumed by these two games and music even after closing them. I saw this under Battery section. But these two games and music were not displayed under running applications. I couldn't force stop them as force stop option is greyed out. I even restarted my phone. still no use. what i'm supposed to do here. Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_2013-01-12-17-46-26.png

Screenshot_2013-01-12-17-46-45.png

Screenshot_2013-01-12-18-02-22.png

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to Android thing. Bought a Sony Xperia Ion two weeks back. I'm facing an issue. I was playing couple of games and was listening to music and then i closed them. After sometimes i saw that battery power is getting consumed by these two games and music even after closing them. I saw this under Battery section. But these two games and music were not displayed under running applications. I couldn't force stop them as force stop option is greyed out. I even restarted my phone. still no use. what i'm supposed to do here. Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 47207

View attachment 47208

View attachment 47209

Welcome, first let me ask, what you know about the Android system?

When you hit the back button or swipe away an application its closed. The android system manages memory, so it's not using power.

Do you have any type of task killer on your device, as I see you have an anti virus app. i would bet that is causing an issue as it's not letting the android system work as designed.

Reactions: ocnbrze and suga49
Upvote 0
I'm just two weeks old to this system. I'm totally on dark side about android.

So you mean to say even though there is some percentage of battery usage by a closed app, its not actually consuming. Did i get your point in a right way. Kindly correct me if not.

Yes i do have Clean Mater installed. Regarding anti-virus, off the topic almost. sorry for bringing this question here. Do i have to trash the anti-virus from my device for better performance of my phone?

Upvote 0
I'm just two weeks old to this system. I'm totally on dark side about android.

So you mean to say even though there is some percentage of battery usage by a closed app, its not actually consuming. Did i get your point in a right way. Kindly correct me if not.

Yes i do have Clean Mater installed. Regarding anti-virus, off the topic almost. sorry for bringing this question here. Do i have to trash the anti-virus from my device for better performance of my phone?

Yes, the android system itself will monitor activity.

If you "kill" an app, the android system may restart it for use with other applications, therefore draining the battery.

I suggest, you delete the task manager and virus scanning apps.

I would also suggest you visit the forum for your device :)

Reactions: ocnbrze and suga49
Upvote 0
Is battery *still* being consumed? That first image is the total since it came off charge, not recent or current usage, so if you have a gaming session then low usage in standby the fraction of total power used by the game will only decrease slowly with time. As a made-up, over simplified example, if I use 10% of my battery playing a game, then another 10% from the phone sitting in standby for 5 hours, when I look at that display I'd expect to see 50% of power use from the game even though it was completely stopped 5 hours earlier.

I'm on a different android version from you, but my applications menu has a "running services" option as well as "manage applications". Can you see any game-related services there?

Upvote 0
DO NOT use any task killer or memory optimizer. They actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Android is excellent at handling processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance. Just let Android do it's job, relax and enjoy your phone.

See:
http://lifehacker.com/5650894/andro...ed-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them
...for a full explanation.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

Upvote 0
Yes, the android system itself will monitor activity.

If you "kill" an app, the android system may restart it for use with other applications, therefore draining the battery.

I suggest, you delete the task manager and virus scanning apps.

I would also suggest you visit the forum for your device :)

Appreciated. I will definitely search for the forum. Kind of you.

Upvote 0
Is battery *still* being consumed? That first image is the total since it came off charge, not recent or current usage, so if you have a gaming session then low usage in standby the fraction of total power used by the game will only decrease slowly with time. As a made-up, over simplified example, if I use 10% of my battery playing a game, then another 10% from the phone sitting in standby for 5 hours, when I look at that display I'd expect to see 50% of power use from the game even though it was completely stopped 5 hours earlier.

I'm on a different android version from you, but my applications menu has a "running services" option as well as "manage applications". Can you see any game-related services there?

I'm using ICS. Under Apps I could see these four tabs. There is no "manage applications" option

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-12-21-36-52.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-12-21-36-52.png
    529.2 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
DO NOT use any task killer or memory optimizer. They actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Android is excellent at handling processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance. Just let Android do it's job, relax and enjoy your phone.

See:
Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
...for a full explanation.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

That's a great information. Thanks for the link.

Upvote 0
I'm using ICS. Under Apps I could see these four tabs. There is no "manage applications" option
Yes, I have 4 tabs on my gingerbread, 3 of them the same. But "services" is found one level up in the menu - I have "manage applications" (which is equivalent to what you show) and "running services" as separate items. But it may be different.

My main point was that I think you are looking at historical power usage from when those apps were run earlier, rather than power still being used since you exited them.

Reactions: suga49
Upvote 0
Yes, I have 4 tabs on my gingerbread, 3 of them the same. But "services" is found one level up in the menu - I have "manage applications" (which is equivalent to what you show) and "running services" as separate items. But it may be different.

My main point was that I think you are looking at historical power usage from when those apps were run earlier, rather than power still being used since you exited them.

That's well explained. But i don't find "running services" in my device. up to my knowledge that screenshot is the only area where i can see the running application in ICS. Any idea where i can catch the current running applications.

Upvote 0
yeah that is what i have on my phone. it is under apps for me as well. the running tab shows you all that is running.

is your battery life that bad?

i never really worried about what is running on my phone unless it is really bad. just keep in mind that the more you use your phone the more battery it will use. i never use task killers as well. battery life for all of my phones have been really good. it was the main reason why i rooted them, but that is up to you.

here is some more info on task killers:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html

Reactions: suga49
Upvote 0
yeah that is what i have on my phone. it is under apps for me as well. the running tab shows you all that is running.

is your battery life that bad?

i never really worried about what is running on my phone unless it is really bad. just keep in mind that the more you use your phone the more battery it will use. i never use task killers as well. battery life for all of my phones have been really good. it was the main reason why i rooted them, but that is up to you.

here is some more info on task killers:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html

Yes. I feel the battery life is bad. If i play a game of size 24MB for 5 mins 5% of battery will be eaten up. May be since i'm new to android i feel its draining much faster.

Upvote 0
When you are playing a game you are running the cpu hard, screen on and using the touchscreen. Probably the only thing you can do about power consumption while playing is turn the screen brightness down.

For the original question though, how is battery life when you've finished the game and the phone is just in standby? There are however many things that affect that, including network coverage and how many things you have syncing & updating in the background.

Reactions: suga49 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
When you are playing a game you are running the cpu hard, screen on and using the touchscreen. Probably the only thing you can do about power consumption while playing is turn the screen brightness down.

For the original question though, how is battery life when you've finished the game and the phone is just in standby? There are however many things that affect that, including network coverage and how many things you have syncing & updating in the background.

Network coverage is almost full. and also i unchecked the auto-sync option. Brightness is almost 30%. When the phone is in standby mode battery life is perfectly alright. For example its consuming 5-6% of battery overnight (say 12am to 7am). when coming to usage 5mins of phone call in 2G mode consuming 2-3%. 5mins of browsing(data mode) consuming 3-4%. Probably i should stop monitoring my battery usage and enjoy the phone :). Thats the only way i can stop worrying. Charing the battery frequently is not the concern here. My only concern is if this phone model is consuming more power than the rivals. After all this is my first android phone and i have spent around $550 to own this.

Upvote 0
From the sounds of the "overnight drain" the phone seems perfectly alright. Some apps are just poorly coded that it eats a lot of battery. I remember there was an ezPDF update (which made me try out Mantano initially) that drained your battery from 100% to zero in less than 2hrs when using the app (In contrast I can read using ezPDF in its current iteration for 5-7hrs straight with the screen turned on and data enabled). It was rectified immediately but it serves as a nice example that sometimes app developers make mistakes leading to people thinking they have battery problems or something.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones