• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coby Kyros 7120-4G

I would love to know what the steps were to ge the android market loaded and working, I tried and failed to get the android market place loaded and opted for the amazon apps store...

I came to the same conclution altho you can load the flash player non of the flash sites will run...I think it just does not have the hardware to process the video and flash effects!! kind of what the late mr jobs complained about flash that it is very power hungry. I posted a lot of info and links about the CPU and it capabilities in an earlier post. these help explain why we lack the horse power to play back DVD vow file Netflix or indeed flash...

it works good for email, bit of web browsing non flash, angry bird runs ok as long as it's not moved to the sd card. and my banking apps, Facebook works well on it as does my Wikipedia applications for looking up general stuff...I'm trying to look on it's up side more tha the down...it was only $110 and for that I got a 7 inch color touch screen, and some decent music apps so I. looking at it as a versatile mp3 Facebook/email and info lookup tool. but compared to a $500 iPad that I am currently writing this review on....it's a piece of excrement!

Upvote 0
I picked one up as a gift for a 7 year old girl to play Angry Birds and others. Being able to serve as a Kindle and have Amazon Appstore was a priority as well.

After trying several other bargain tabs, and sending them back, I landed this based on a reviewer who stated angry birds was able to play on it. They were right. Game works fine from system memory.

I popped a 16GB class 10 card in to to store her Big Time Rush music and a couple videos and I was all set. Mine also plays YouTube no problems. I read that someone could not get flash to play, but it has a YouTube app bloated in the ROM.

Still no luck getting Android Market installed. Would love to make that happen. I installed the apk from two different sources and it just closes when I say 'yes' to add an account. ALSO cannot get Gmail installed. I tried that as a work around for market (get the account established somehwere on the device) but neither will run.

Coby Kyros MID7120, same specs as above. Purchased the specialty 'blue' model.

Upvote 0
Checkout youtube Ken. Search Android market on Coby. There is a video by a gut named da prospecta that will help you.

Unfortunately that procedure calls for flashing a new ROM and there aren't any for the 7120 yet. Not sure I want to risk bricking this thing by trying out a ROM designed for another model.

Unless maybe i can get CW installed, do a backup of the stock rom then root and recover, but the stock rom would unroot the device correct?

I'm stuck until these get more popular I guess.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue meagryanne. My daughter has been working with it. It says that there is only 240 MB of available space when we have installed nothing on it so far. I did put in an SD card, but I only had a 1GB card available (from my phone) and that isn't helping at all. I have a 9 year old boy here who just wants to play Angry Birds or watch a Netflix movie while he waits for Santa to come.

Upvote 0
the device has 256meg of system memory, and 4 gig of SD memory onboard....
the deal is that when you selct an application and select move to SD, only a certain amount of it moves to SD, but a significant portion still sits in teh systems memory to run...and some apps do not allow themselves to be moved to SD at all....

also just to confust things, adding in an additional SD card does not help with this, the move to SD tool moves apps to the 4gig onboard SD NOT to the one you can add to the plug in card.

The plug in cards are good for storing pictures video and large MP3 audio librarys

also check this information out....i have not confirmed yet but seems to have promising info on getting the android market and netflix installed and working!!

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Andro...?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B004RCUUT8&cdSort=oldest

Upvote 0
the device has 256meg of system memory, and 4 gig of SD memory onboard....
the deal is that when you selct an application and select move to SD, only a certain amount of it moves to SD, but a significant portion still sits in teh systems memory to run...and some apps do not allow themselves to be moved to SD at all....

also just to confust things, adding in an additional SD card does not help with this, the move to SD tool moves apps to the 4gig onboard SD NOT to the one you can add to the plug in card.

The plug in cards are good for storing pictures video and large MP3 audio librarys

also check this information out....i have not confirmed yet but seems to have promising info on getting the android market and netflix installed and working!!

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Andro...?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B004RCUUT8&cdSort=oldest

Upvote 0
Just a couple of quick thoughts on the 7120. Got one for each of my kids. Amazon appstore runs great on these, and I've loaded a bunch of games and stories on them. My son is 9, so I put nook on it so he can read the wheel of time series, and downloaded a bunch of read along stories for my 4 year old princess.

My wife has an original galaxy tab, and while the kobys (of course) aren't as fast or smooth, they are great devices for the price and the kids love them! Plus, the wife is ecstatic just to have their grubby little paws off her GTab! lol!

Upvote 0
Do any of you happen to know how to keep the unit (actually, it is a mid7012) from using all of the battery charge without my even using it? I hadn't used it all day and the whole charge was gone. I would like to know why it says it using so much battery for "cell standby" -- 76-80%, with wifi at only 11%? I am confused about why the "cell" aspect when it is not a phone. Is it using the battery to keep connected to the wifi? Should it be switched to airplane mode whenever not being used? Are there applications going on that are using up the battery without my knowledge Thanks!

Upvote 0
The key to loading Market on the Coby is to download and install Google Services Framework. There's a how-to video on YouTube. Once I loaded Framework I had no trouble accessing Market.

Flash Player is another story. Lots of videos on YouTube about how well Flash runs on a Coby but haven't found anything about doing a direct-to-tablet downloand and install. Anybody?

Upvote 0
I have had my 7120 since new years eve. It took a while but got the market working, but it mostly says device not compatible. I was only able to get a couple of apps to install with the market. Getjar is better. Its available at cobys web site. I found that netflix works but you have to use an older version. I will post again with a complete list of all working apps. Moboplayer is the best video player for this tablet. It plays all video perfectly. Ninesky or Boat browser are best on the web. Most of the apps I have installed I did by downloading them from the web at places like apktop and other apk sites found with google searches. downloaded to my computer and transferred them to the sd card then installed using the file manager. Just click on file and it asks if you want to install it. There are other app markets like appbrain and socio and amazon. they are just ok. All are better than google android market.

Upvote 0
Hi - Can someone please help me decide which Coby to purchase? The MID7012 or the MID7120? Found them both for the same price locally. Only difference I see is the 7120 has a camera/videocamera built in. I need to purchase by Friday for a 10 yr old Bday girl. I am not very "techy" so I don't know which is a better model as far as operations and what's "inside". Thank you!! T

Upvote 0
The key to loading Market on the Coby is to download and install Google Services Framework. There's a how-to video on YouTube. Once I loaded Framework I had no trouble accessing Market.

Flash Player is another story. Lots of videos on YouTube about how well Flash runs on a Coby but haven't found anything about doing a direct-to-tablet downloand and install. Anybody?
You have to first download it to your computer. There's a page (can't remember, will look for it) that says you first have to download Flash 10.3 in order to move up to the latest, Flash 11. But when you go to the link it downloads the Flash 11.apk. Copy that to your tablet (it's big, I used my SD drive), then find it in your downloads and install.

Upvote 0
I was able to root my 7120 with unlockroot23.exe You can find it on the web with a google search. It was easy. With my tablet rooted I can now install all market apps without a problem. I was also able to uninstall the useless appslib. Rootuninstaller allows you to get rid of unwanted preinstalled apps. No more emusic or adilko book reader. It also seems to run faster. There is still no way to play flash from a browser. Netflix no longer works. An older version used to work, but it stopped. Hulu Plus works great. Smooth play. I'm pretty happy with this tablet now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones