• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Complete new user after some advice on specs

SazzaB

Lurker
Oct 28, 2016
Morning all,

I've just got my first Android TV box from Amazon yesterday. Had a bit of a look about to see what the best one would be for the money I wanted to spend and came up with the MXQ Pro (or MX Pro depending on what part of the description you go by). I got it for £30 ish and a keyboard on top of that. However when it arrived yesterday it was an M7 Pro box with a letter saying that their stock had water damage so they'd sent me this one instead which is a better spec box. Now when I've searched it seems that I could have got the M7 for myself at less than I paid them for it but that would be from a different seller.

So my question is - does anybody know if what they've sent me is what they say, a better spec box than what I ordered and should I just keep it and get on with it, or should I get a refund and get the one I'd ordered in the first place?

Sorry for being so thick on this, I have no idea what I'm looking at when I look at the specs to be able to work out what is better or if they are both pretty similar. Any help at all with this would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks
Sally

Hi, Sally and welcome.

All these boxes are roughly the same and even the differences are not something you will notice in daily use.

There are only two 'specs' that should be of interest to you...

1 - What version of Android is your box running? (4.4 is OK 5 or higher is better!)

2 - When, oops, sorry, IF it breaks can you return it without any hassles.

Basically, can this box do what you bought it for and are you happy with the price?

Reactions: SazzaB
Upvote 0
Hi Andrew, many thanks for your reply. Sorry it's taken me so long to say thank you. I haven't had a chance to get back on here with an update. I decided, following your advice, to stick with what they'd sent me but the box I've got has an issue that I think is similar to what other people have mentioned - where the colour flashes over to a pink and green output where the pic is pretty invisible (think of a very large pink/green negative) - it does flash back to normal after a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. I can't seem to find a way of getting it to not do it.

After a few gins over Christmas I decided to get a different box, in the hope the problem was with the original one, but hey presto when I plugged it in yesterday I had the same problem. The new box is running a later version of Android and the picture quality looks even better than the first box. I have tried different HDMI cables in different ports on the TV. The TV isn't that old - maybe 5 or 6 years. I have changed the display resolution to 1080i to see if that would help but it hasn't changed anything at all.

Do you have any advice at all as to what is going on? I am assuming it is a problem with the TV settings rather than me getting extremely unlucky in that the two boxes I have purchased both have the same problem.

I would really love to solve this without having to send anything back and run the risk of getting a third one with the same problem. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Sally

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones