Comprehensive Emulator Guide

Last Updated: 2015-04-10 19:47:42
  1. Trev186

Trev186 Well-Known Member

Imo just buy CPS2HD on the android market. It works great

Advertisement
  2. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Problem is you have to convert the roms to work on it. Seems better to allow two apps, IMO. I would rather pay him for two Tigers ;)

Now, the logical evolution from the CPS2HD app was Finalburn. Tons more games supported too- now I would pay for that!

I bought his PCE app- rocks hard :)

Thanks again!
  3. rushmore

Update on the Tiger beta. First off, nice to see proper scaling :)

Frankly, I would rather have the last full release with the scaling, since every game worked. The beta has a lot of issues (beta, of course).

Quite a few games either have graphics issues or do not work at all. Examples:

1. KOF 2003 has corrupt graphics and not playable
    2. KOF 1998 (IMO, greatest fighter ever) loads, but crashes when about to play :( Ironic, since my favorite game of all of them.
    3. Metal Slug 5 has no sound now

On my trip to England and back, I played or tested 233 games on Tiger Arcade on my gTablet (I can NOT sleep on a plane). I know all games worked and not any graphics issues. Only issue was some CPS1 games had poor sound.

Seems the dev is respectfully taking one step forward and two steps back. He already had a great working app that simply needed better scaling. CPS1 sound seems not worth all the compromises.

Still, there are quite a few games that still play great, so thanks again :) Just wish the dev would add scaling to the old app instead :(

Hopefully this is a real early beta, since seems unstable. Wonder what he changed to break so many games?

Added:

By the way, Tiger Arcade (non beta) is forced to scale in Honeycomb 3.2 and scales okay on the A500 and Transformer, but the forced scaling is a tad blurry.

The Thrive only has 3.1 (so far), so no forced scaling of apps. I would be more inclined to use the current official release and force scale in 3.2, rather than the current revised Tiger effort (unless dramatic improvements take place). Assuming the Thrive ever gets 3.2.........
  4. Trev186

Actually I did not need to convert any if my CPs2 ROMS to work. All cps ROMS worn in both jararcade and tiger Mame apps. It is the neo geo ROMS where the Rom sets differ
  5. Trev186

He added support for some new games like simpsons and the xmen 4 player game etc. I think they were konami games. I am sure he will fix the issues. The plus is if u own multiple arcade emulators u can still get about every game to work.

My metal slug 5 still has sound also
  6. rushmore

I notice the app is bigger, so must be more rom set platforms supported. Is there a list of new ones?

Be nice if he could add scaling to the current release and then take his time working on the expanded version :)

BTW, I fired up my N900 (been a while) and I think your jaw would drop on how many games work, but a lot do not play at full speed. As mentioned, Nokia thought not having real video ram in the architecture was a great idea :(

Hardly none of the games that play smooth on Jarcade and Tiger, play smooth on the N900 (this is comparing the Droid 1 to the N900).
  7. Trev186

Can u get me info on the Dev ? Perhaps he can port to Android .
  8. rushmore

His forum name is Flandry. If you type "maemo talk mame flandry", his MAME thread is one of the top in search list.

Very nice dude, but I have not intercated there for about a year. Added: (I did just after this post)

As far as the new Tiger beta, more games work than thought. This version seems a little more picky for roms. I found a working KOF98 as well. Still no sound in Metal Slug 5 and KOF2003 graphics still corrupt. Armed Batrider and Battle Bakraid do not work now. Two great shooters.

Still, a lot better than originally thought :)
  9. Trev186

If a game does not work try and use a bootleg version if the ROM. I have found more often then not this will make it work in tiger Mame. I use a bootleg copy for metal slug 3 and garou Mark of the wolves.

When I get home from work I will test it out on the other games u mentioned did not work as well.

I encourage to share the results of your tests with the Dev as well....that way he fixes any issue
  10. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Well-Known Member

but the most important question is where can we find games for all these emulators please help.
  11. Trev186

The forum rules do not allow me to link them...but dude just use Google and do some research
  12. monkey3

monkey3 New Member

I love those old school stuffs...
  13. rushmore

The current Tiger Arcade beta is apparently a version of Final Burn (based on the new rom list posted by dev), but most of the Capcom 3 games like Red Earth and Street Fighter 3 load up, but crash when getting ready to play. I have a tested and working Final Burn rom set for reference.

Not tested the non Capcom 3 games yet, besides the roms already supported. BTW, the reason some roms stopped working for some is the Final Burn rom set is a bit pickier than the current official version, so depends on what roms you have.

Since the beta does appear to be based on a different rom set, it seems more prudent for the dev to make this a different app, rather than an update.

Call it "Tiger Burn".
  14. Payvay

Payvay Member

The Sixaxis already works well on Tigerarcade but only one controller can be mapped. Of course, a 4 inches screen would be a bit small for a 4 players game but yes, I'm talking about playing on HDMI out to a TV. It's awesome on my LG G2X! So I'm praying all night that a 4 players bluetooth controllers is coded soon! Hell, I'd be willing to pay 20$ for it!

I've asked the dev to include it and his reply was: thx for your suggestion... So I dunno.

Payvay
  15. rushmore

The Final Burn beta from the Tiger Arcade dev is AMAZING for a beta. A ton of great games work and only a few fixes seem needed. Between this and the two MAME4all efforts so far, WOW :)

I look forward to an offical release and to donate to the effort (already have for the MAME4all apps). Great job!
  16. Lacit1707

Lacit1707 Well-Known Member

Hey,

How can i find the emulators in the market?
  17. disastar

disastar Well-Known Member

Just want to update. All the *oid emulators, snes9x, and FPSe work fine with the ps3 sixaxis/dualshock controller and the sixaxis controller app (https://market.android.com/details?...udios.sixaxiscontroller&feature=search_result).

Combined with HDMI out, I have a real mean gaming machine on my hands =D
  18. Trev186

if your into emulation as much as me. So if that is the case u also like me cannot fit all your games on one 32 GB SD Card.

SANDISK just came out with a 64 GB SDXC card which is confirmed to work on the S2 I ordered one for my EVO 3D ill let u all know if it works.

All u have to do is reformat the new card.
  19. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I also have one of the 64GB cards on order and will be posting here about how it goes (like you I need it to accomodate all these isos!).
  20. disastar

disastar Well-Known Member

You might want to triple check. It's my understanding that no phones on the market support the SDXC format as of the date of this post.

EDIT: You're correct; you can use the 64GB SDXC cards in the Galaxy S2 line of phones. You just have to format them as FAT32 drives. See this thread for more info:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1038039&page=4
  21. Trev186

I think that was a misconception. I think since only 32 GB were available they were only marketed as such. If all it took was the reformatting of the card AND Samsung never marketed this way I think that the cards may work with most phones
    rushmore likes this.
  22. oleb84

oleb84 Well-Known Member

Highest Ram Amount - Cell Phones Top List

That shows a list of all the RAM amounts of all phones. I useful tool if you intend to get a phone purely for higher end emulaters.

I also here though that Samsung are planning to release a 2gb
    RAM phone.
  23. rushmore

All the emulators play great on my D3 with only 512mb ram. Please keep in mind the PSX and N64 had only a few megs of ram, but had fast enough video ram to sustain play (kind of, since both devices had lag issues with some games). Case in point, quite a few PSX and N64 games play smoother on the Droid 3 than the original systems (some play slower, for N64- like Demolition Racers).

Neo Geo roms are huge for roms that load at start-up, but are not a struggle and play smooth even on my older Incredible (Heck, they play smooth on the Nintendo DS too).

No my gaming buds, the issue IMO is CPU and video ram speed. Especially if anyone expects a Dreamcast emu to play smooth ;) Even with the platform emulation running in the ram as well, the games have plenty of space.

The key reason Neo Geo games play smooth on the DS are the two 3D chips on board. They may be wimpy, but each have fast video ram, which NeoDS uses very well :) Neo Geo games play sllloooow on my N900 :(
  24. Trev186

I have since some higher level emulators use up to 120 MBs. Of RAM for some people they may have a lot of crap running that could cause issues and often has.

The other thing is look at the phones with 1 GB of RAM. They all have top of the line processors. Point being if you buy a phone with more RAM your phone will have most liekly have better specs.

For some reason the manufactures keep releasing new phones that have the same specs as last years models. HTC is very guilty of this they have released like 10 phones that only have a 1 GHZ processors. I do not think this is wise or efficient from a production stand point.
  25. rushmore

One thing is for sure if we were to have a port of Flandry MAME, we would be set :)

I was wrong about the amount of games that play well on the N900. A bunch play well.