Computer not recognizing internal memory on IncredibleSupport

Last Updated:

1. tgakk

tgakk Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my Droid Incredible a few days ago and am really enjoying it. However, when I use the USB cable to plug in my phone to sync music/movies from my computer (Windows 7, 64 bit), it only recognizes the 2 gig MicroSD card that came with the phone, but not the 8GB Internal Memory. When I plug in the phone, the phone itself asks me if I want to charge or use disk mode and I have it set to disk mode. I can copy to the 2GB MicroSD card with no problems. Tried rebooting the phone and my computer, have all the latest Windows updates, etc. Any idea why my computer isn't seeing the 8GB internal memory? Is there a driver I need to install for it or some other setting on my phone? Can it only see either the microSD card or the Internal memory at one time, so I have to take out the SD card (that would be lame)?

Any help would be appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

Advertisement
  2. Iowagriz

Iowagriz Member

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that you can access the internal memory. I suppose if you rooted it's possible, but not in the standard configuration.

3. Kilo7

Kilo7 Well-Known Member

I put my micro sd card from a previous device, and then i went to "connect to PC" under setting and chose "disk drive" i was able to see what was stored on the card, hope this helps somewhat.

4. Kilo7

Kilo7 Well-Known Member

I also moved some Itunes to my card using a program called "double twist"

5. photographx

photographx Well-Known Member

You are correct...

or maybe not...

6. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

its possible to recognize internal memory. I did so an hour ago. make sure you selected the proper connection options

7. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

Simply mount the Di with SD card out. It will then show up. They should both show up though.

8. shh

shh Well-Known Member

Of course you can access the internal storage. In fact I renamed mine to Internal so I wouldn't get confused by which storage card was which. The phone refers to the internal storage as Phone Storage.
    This is with Windows 7 Premium 64bit.

9. sjfiostech

sjfiostech New Member

I was able to see both with it plugged into my iMac.

10. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

On a PC, in disk drive mode, the SD card and onboard storage will show as different drives. If you have autoplay turned on, you'll get two dialogs.

11. Plumrt

Plumrt Well-Known Member

Yep, it works and shows me 2 drives

12. mz_

mz_ Member

What do I have to do to get my computer to see the card? I have it plugged into the USB, have it set to "disk drive" and "ask" and nothing happens. Even tried rebooting the phone.

Running Windows 7 64-bit.

13. tgakk

Thanks for the replies. It seems like people are able to see both the internal phone storage and sd card when plugged into the pc in disk mode. I'm still struggling to get my pc to recognize the phone storage. As I mentioned, all I did was plug in the phone to the computer via usb. The phone prompted me with the option to charge, disk mode, etc. I chose disk mode, but the only drive that shows up on the pc is the SD card and not the phone storage.

14. tgakk

Do i have to choose to mount the internal storage via the phone somehow?

15. Rubik76

Shouldn't have to. Are you able to play the MP3's and see the pictures that came pre-loaded on the phone? If so, the phone sees the onboard storage so it's at least working that far. Beyond that, when the phone is mounted as a disk drive, you should just be able to see the two drives. Not sure what to suggest if it doesn't.

16. Callahan

Callahan Well-Known Member

I'm using Win7 64 bit as well. When hooked up as you describe, mine show up as 2 different removable drives and can be accessed. One thing I did notice the only time I had hooked up to the comp., is that the internal drive didn't show up right away, but after I was browsing through the SD card, the windows popup box came up for the internal storage. It probably took a couple of minutes....don't know why.

17. Rubik76

Interesting - it's instant for me on Vista 32. Will have to try it on my Vista 64 box.

18. kimf

kimf Active Member

I am on Vista 64 and the first 2 times I connected via USB the internal drive did not show up on the PC but the third time it did. No idea what was different though. ???

19. tgakk

I kind of got it to work now, but it isn't smooth. And, doubletwist is still only seeing the SD card and not the internal memory. So, I connect the phone to the pc and it only recognizes the SD card. I drag down the menu on the phone from the home screen where it has the USB connection type (it is at the very top of the screen where your notifications are--you pull it down with your finger and it shows a menu). I then change it to Charge Only. Then set it back to Disk Drive. Then it shows both drives. Not sure why that is working and why it isn't working by default, but at least it is working.

20. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

I'm running Windows 7 and it recognized both the SD card, and the internal memory as separate removable drives.

21. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I figured this one out I think. On your phone, go to settings -> Connect to PC -> and make sure "Ask me every time" is checked so that it does ask. Then just unplug, reconnect, select disk drive, and both show up! For some reason if it doesn't ask you it defaults to JUST the SD card, even though both showed up in device manager.. Idk why, but it works :)

asahi and STAT1 like this.
  22. STAT1

STAT1 New Member

Agreed, you need to let it ask you each time. Otherwise, the only what it was working for me was changing to CHARGE ONLY, then switching back to DISK MODE.

23. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

24. Callahan

Callahan Well-Known Member

Love that sig. ..........Roll Tide!:)

AdmSuvvuk likes this.
  25. MaVoK

MaVoK New Member

NICE! I was losing my mind trying to figure out why my pc no longer saw the internal memory. Thanks!:D