• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Confused about contacts..

m-cman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2011
Dallas
Ok, this is probably a really dumb question but couldn't find answer with search.

I do not have the same contact info on my phone as I do on my email accounts. I do not want them to be the same. Gmail is an email acct and therefore I do not want to use it to transfer my phone contacts via sync. I need to transfer my LG OP V contact list to my new HTC EVO V.

What is the best way to do this and what is the best way to keep a backup of my phone contact list?

Thanks...... :D

Ok, this is probably a really dumb question but couldn't find answer with search.

I do not have the same contact info on my phone as I do on my email accounts. I do not want them to be the same. Gmail is an email acct and therefore I do not want to use it to transfer my phone contacts via sync. I need to transfer my LG OP V contact list to my new HTC EVO V.

What is the best way to do this and what is the best way to keep a backup of my phone contact list?

Google really is the best way.. That way you ALWAYS have your contacts, Even if your phone fails.

Upvote 0

I'm just like you. I keep my phone and my google separate. You can export the contacts to a .vcf file which will reside on your SD card.

Open the PEOPLE app, then click on:

MENU - Import/Export - Export to SD Card

When you want to restore the contacts, you do almost the same thing changing the last step to import instead. Be careful about importing from multiple vcf files if you export a few times. It will duplicate your contacts...but there's a way to de-duplicate them as well.

Just last night, I had sever duplicates, and the de-duplicate didn't work. What happened was my google contacts AND my phone contacts both got imported, and the overlap became duplicates...but again, the de-duplicate function didn't work. I ended up deleting ALL contacts, and then I imported only the phone contacts.

This only happened because I installed a ROM fresh after a wipe, and after logging in to google, the google contacts automatically imported for me. I'm not positive, but I think you can tell it NOT to import them...I may have not noticed, and had it checked...

Reactions: m-cman
Upvote 0
Could you create a gmail address to use specifically with your phone, and only backup the phone contacts to it? That's essentially what my gmail does, because I don't use it for anything else. I already had my email set with another service when I bought my first Android phone, necessitating the gmail account.

Then, if you wanted, you could set your "real" gmail as a secondary account, so you can still check email on your phone, but tell it not to sync that account. I have my son's school gmail as a secondary account on my phone, so that I can access it if I need to, but nothing ever syncs to my phone from it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones