• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confused about data roaming

gezh

Jul 12, 2009
Hi all. I had problems where my Orange contract hero couldn't connect to the new Orange T-Mobile service, so they sent me out a new SIM.

Now, when I manually try to connect to orange t-mobile, it says "can't connect because data roaming is disabled".

I'm not really sure what the implications are of this... whenever I turn this on I get warned I could get charged, and most advice I've searched for says to keep it off. Do I have to have this on to connect to orange t-mobile, and is it safe to do so?

You (should) have to have it enabled to connect to the T-Mobile/Orange cross over networks.

And you won't be charged any extra (in theory :p).

Whenever I connect to Orange my Hero displays the roaming logo, and I've not been charged a penny extra.

t-mobile.co.uk/share said:
I've got an iPhone or Android phone and keep getting a warning message about 'data roaming' charges, what should I do?

Don’t worry – you won’t pay any extra to use your phone in the UK.

When your phone switches to Orange signal, it thinks you’re abroad because that’s normally the only time it changes between signals. Android phones and iPhones have an ‘always on’ data connection, so if you were abroad, you would incur charges for this, which is what your phone thinks is happening. But don’t worry, you won’t get charged any more while you’re in the UK.

But remember, if you do go abroad, you will be charged so you’ll need to turn off data roaming when you leave the UK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones