• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wierd Mobile Data Bug - Please Help

Hey,

So about 7 months ago, I had a Moto G Play 2021, and one day, only on mobile data, i started to encounter a weird issue:
- 90% of things I tried to access online yielded an SSL_CERT error of some type. I tried all the common fixes, clock reset, taking my sim card in and out, getting a whole new sim card, factory reset, everything under the sun. It never fixed it. About 5 months ago, I switched to a Google Pixel 5a. It worked fine for about a week, but then randomly the issue came back. I tried the above solutions again, to no result. I genuinely have no idea what to do and cannot find a single other person with the same issue. Please help.
IMPORTANT INFO:
- Data does not work on 99% of apps, yields some kind of SSL Error
-Spotify works, not sure if that narrows it done. Things like instagram, redditr, discord, and most wbesites do not work.
- I am signed up under my parents plan, who live about 140 miles away. We have unlimited data under T-Mobile.

I can yeild any other helpful info. Please help me

IMPORTANT INFO:
- Data does not work on 99% of apps, yields some kind of SSL Error
-Spotify works, not sure if that narrows it done. Things like instagram, redditr, discord, and most wbesites do not work.
- I am signed up under my parents plan, who live about 140 miles away. We have unlimited data under T-Mobile.

I can yeild any other helpful info. Please help me

Have they got you signed up as a minor with T-Mobile? I'm thinking your carrier has got some filtering or firewall going on. I don't know T-Mobile, but some carriers do censoring and filtering of sites and apps that they think may have content unsuitable for minors, unless you prove you're an adult to the carrier. I know some carriers in the UK do this with pre-paid SIMs, and you must prove your age for them to remove their internet filtering.

Spotify is just music, no need to block that, but things like Instagram, Discord, Reddit, etc. could have adult content, violence, gambling, etc.

One way to bypass any carrier censoring or firewalls is to use a VPN.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have they got you signed up as a minor with T-Mobile? I'm thinking your carrier has got some filtering or firewall going on. I don't know T-Mobile, but some carriers do censoring and filtering of sites and apps that they think may have content unsuitable for minors, unless you prove you're an adult to the carrier. I know some carriers in the UK do this with pre-paid SIMs, and you must prove your age for them to remove their internet filtering.

Spotify is just music, no need to block that, but things like Instagram, Discord, Reddit, etc. could have adult content, violence, gambling, etc.

One way to bypass any carrier censoring or firewalls is to use a VPN.
I don't think its a firewall, considering my parents are aware of the issue.

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell, T-Mobile is simply the worst carrier that exists.

I have hardly ever been able to use any data, and it is almost as difficult to make a phone call.
Sometimes texting will work if I am close enough to a tower to touch it.

I have to use wi-fi everywhere I can, because the cellular 'service' is laughable.

Maybe your parents live underneath a tower, so it works for them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones