• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Confusion with clockworkmod recovery version

Hi all,
When I upgraded to CM 7.2 (goes well :) ) as part of the process I flashed recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip.
(Google apps installed, etc.)
After running the phone for a week, Google Play offered to update Clockworkmod Recovery Rom Manager to the latest version.
So I updated it... then discovered that it doesn't offically support the Galaxy Ace.
Also, in the menu where it offers to update the recovery, the versions it mentions are earlier then what I think I've got.
(Naturally I haven't "updated" the recovery.)
What gives ? Why does Play offer me an earlier version ?
Is this the "Rom Manager" that everyone calls nasty names ? :p
Thanks in advance,
Roger.

Its the same nasty Rom Manager, its a default system application in CM roms, the CM team was supposed to exclude it from ACE roms because of its incompatibility with the device but somehow they left it there.

You should use a root explorer app and remove it from /system/app directory, don't bother to upgrade it, and don't use it to flash recovery, there are certain functions in that app that still work well with this phone but most of them will just cause damage, so its better to just remove this app before it does any harm.

Reactions: rogerval and Hadron
Upvote 0
No, it is a different app by a different developer, CWM is a recovery, there is an app for it too, just to help using CWM easier, its called CWM Manager.
Rom Manager is also an app, it can flash a CWM recovery on the phone too and flash all the patches, mods and roms you want but its just not compatible with this phone. If you try and flash CWM through Rom Manager, there is a high probability that it will fry your motherboard, its best to flash CWM recovery yourself through stock recovery and then use CWM or CWM Manager to flash mods and stuff.

You can use CWM and CWM Manager safely but not Rom Manager.
Your phone didn't die because you flashed recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip yourself, that is the CWM recovery, if you had used the inbuilt Rom Manager to flash that you would be at the samsung service center right now. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that; much appreciated. :)

PS: I'm still a little confused; the only Rom Manager I see by that particular name appears to be developed by Koushik Dutta, and according to XDA-Developers, "ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is a replacement recovery option for Android devices, made by Koushik "Koush" Dutta." ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/ClockworkMod_Recovery ).
So, is there another "Rom Manager" getting around, by that name, or, well, :thinking::dontknow:
(But I still don't want to risk using Rom Manager; if I "deaded" my phone it would spoil my whole day. ;) )
Kind regards,
Roger.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Take it easy... I didn't mean to cause offence. :)

I've removed Rom Manager, and I did install the CWM recovery manually (got it from the CyanogenMod web site, I think) when I was installing CM 7.2, and it was easy, as you say.

But, to quote you from an earlier post in this thread: "No, it is a different app by a different developer..." ;)

Anyway, have a nice day, and I notice that we Aussies are once again getting a thumping by the host team. :eek: May the better team win. ;)

Kind regards,
Roger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones