• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Connectivity problems with CM7 RC2

coldfuzion

Dec 18, 2010
Been playing with the cm7 roms for a while now (since RC1 came out) and it seems that since I un-rooted and re-rooted my phone, i've been having some intermittant but persistant issues with my radios (wifi, 3g, 4g)

Everything is good when they're working, but when they aren't , it kind of screws everything up for me, becuase , obviously, I can't use the internet browser, my subscription music service (rdio) , or look up information about how to fix my internet....

I was having problems with intermittant GPS shortly after I flashed this for the first time (after re-rooting) but it seemed to fix itself with a reflash (and I remember there was a fix for non-working gps that I tried a few weeks ago as well that worked)

here's what I typically see when I look up in the corner of my screen though... the cell bars and wifi indicator both show up as having signal but are all grey (when its working, the bars light up green)
198882_628831559752_40104592_35575260_1471933_n.jpg

just curious if there's an alternate kernel i could flash, or some special code I can use (like the one that fixes the GPS) or something... I always get this feeling that other people are having a lot better luck with their phones than I am (oh, did I mention that when listening to audio over bluetooth it "skips" at least once per song, but seemingly only when I'm running it rooted, or with a custom rom or something)

its annoying to hear apple fans say that their phone "just works" but what's more annoying is when mine almost never does.

yeah, its set to "never"

I tried toggling wifi and it seems to have fixed it for now at least...

wish I didn't have to do stuff like that just to get my phone to operate normally... Hopefully someone else who's maybe had this problem (and found a good fix for it) will see this thread and chime in.

in the mean time, anyone else having trouble charging the phone via USB? Seems like mine is eating battery faster than its charging (even with wifi/4g/bluetooth/gps off)

works fine when the USB is attached to an outlet, computer however is kind of hit and miss... seems to work on my laptop but not my desktop. something to do with USB port voltages or something maybe?

Upvote 0
do remember..we are using software that was not intended for our specific phone...there are going to be some minor bugs though the devs try their best to adapt it to our phones.

I haven't run into that charging issue but it most likely is voltage related.

I do alot of screen on while plugged in stuff and I know that when i do that it definitely drains faster than it charges

Upvote 0
yeah, I am totally aware and accepting of the fact that this isn't an official release from HTC or sprint or something like that, I guess the frustration for me comes from hearing other people saying that they haven't found any bugs and that its stable enough to be their "daily driver" , so it makes me wonder if something's wrong with my hardware or something. (although i can't seem to replicate the problems in stock 2.2) Although in general this rom has been stable, there are still a few little bugs that seem , to me at least, to be big issues. Problem is, they're also things that 90% of the rooted evo owning population probably doesn't use (like streaming audio via bluetooth on a subscription music service while driving) which means the chances they'll be fixed are probably slim... and the connectivity issues are something that it just plain sounds like most people aren't having

Upvote 0
I might have to try it. I haven't used any other kernels. Wasn't really sure how that worked with CM7. Kernels are a part of rooting/roms that i don't fully understand as far as their compatability with different roms or android versions goes... does it basically just need to be any gingerbread kernel and it should work with the rom?

also, the order is flash rom, then flash kernel, not the other way around, correct?
thanks for the link!

Upvote 0
I might have to try it. I haven't used any other kernels. Wasn't really sure how that worked with CM7. Kernels are a part of rooting/roms that i don't fully understand as far as their compatability with different roms or android versions goes... does it basically just need to be any gingerbread kernel and it should work with the rom?

also, the order is flash rom, then flash kernel, not the other way around, correct?
thanks for the link!

Yes, you're correct w/ the order. If you do it the other way around, the kernel the ROM comes w/ will replace the kernel you just flashed.

Reactions: coldfuzion
Upvote 0
sorry, one more quick question. What's SBC? (the download links are for gingerbread, and gingerbread with sbc)

sbc is a way they have come up with to trickle charge the battery to get a "better" charge out of the battery for better battery life. I personally don't use SBC kernels, my understanding is with them its not good to let the phone sit on a charger after it is fully charged.

For yourself not being familiar with SBC, I recommend just getting the kernel without it.

So to flash a new kernel, from recovery, wipe the cache and dalvik-cache and then flash the new kernel and reboot.

Oh, and one important piece of advice, do a nandroid backup before flashing a kernel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones