• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts- not all are showing?

YN43Glvr

May 4, 2010
I did a search and ddidn't find an answer. :thinking: I have contacts that show up when I start typing the phone number but don't show up under my contacts list. I went to PHONE --> PEOPLE --> VIEW and I have PHONE selected but they still don't show. WTF?? Any ideas?

I did a search and ddidn't find an answer. :thinking: I have contacts that show up when I start typing the phone number but don't show up under my contacts list. I went to PHONE --> PEOPLE --> VIEW and I have PHONE selected but they still don't show. WTF?? Any ideas?

you select all four options, does it show them?

I had to select all to get them to show properly

Upvote 0
Biggest problem has been with “People” (ie. contacts). People keep disappearing from the “All” people page on the phone. Seems to be a problem related to syncing these contacts from Gmail. If the contacts are created on the phone, no problem (but then you don’t easily get the photograph attached to the person’s profile like you have in Gmail). For contacts that are downloaded from Gmail‘s contact list to the phone, these contacts will initially appear in the “All” people page. But, if you assign these contacts to one or more groups (or make any other changes to their profile on the phone), then they no longer appear in the “All” page. To work around this, I simply put all my contact info into my Gmail contacts (ie. contacts not created on the phone) and then let the phone sync its people list from Gmail’s contact list. This worked fine. There was one other problem though. The phone has a couple of pre-defined groups (Favorites & VIP). I assigned some of my contacts to the “Favorites” group on the phone so that I could use the HTC people widget to just see my “Favorites” group. These people no longer appeared in the “All” list as described above. To fix this, I created a new group from within Gmail called “MyFavorites” and then assigned people to this list from within Gmail. I let the phone sync again to Gmail contacts and the new group appeared on the phone as expected. I then re-added the “People” widget to the desktop and this time selected the “MyFavorites” group to feed this widget. Coolio. One other thing I noticed…The contacts that I added to the default “Favorites” group on the phone result in a new group being created in gmail contacts called “Stared in Android”. Interesting.

Upvote 0
I've the same problem too, on my Incredible S~ help~
Some contacts don't show in my "people" but when i do a search, they are there, in phone's contact.. and yet when I search under "people" they will not show up~
The contacts were copied from my sim card, not Google as not everyone is in my Google contact..
I went to "people" - "view", checked boxes are for contacts from phone and FB only... and I know I those missing contacts are not from Google account~ help~ (><)

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. I took my phone to the Sprint store and they transferred my contacts from my PalmPre to my HTC Evo 4G. The contacts showed in the search, but not in my contacts. I spent several hours talking to 5 people at Sprint across the country and nobody could fix it. They told me they couldn't even delete the ones showing in search to start over and that I had to do a hard reset. I don't think so.

I managed to delete the numbers from search by going to Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All->People->Clear Data. This allowed me to start from scratch on contacts without having to lose all my customizations and loaded apps. Then I exported contacts from my PalmPre to a .vcf file on my computer, and imported them into my empty Gmail account. It synched to my gmail account perfectly and everything magically showed up in contacts!

Upvote 0
ok i found out solution
when you go to contacts click in options--Hide/Show------ all should be un-selected there is one icon says all hidden contacts i went in it and found the contacts where selected where hidden dont know why though

anyways thats it

HI Mate,
I have a very similar and very strange problem, Can you tell me where is the hide / show menu in the contacts ??

I tried to find it and can't find it so far.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the previous post (mrh12) - this solved my problem.

Just to clarify.

Go to "People" and then view the menu options (i.e. hit the button with the 3 horizontal bars).

This brings up options such as "Add Contact", "Delete", "Import/Export" etc. Choose the "View" option.

This then brings up a list showing where the sinc contacts came from (various Gmail and other Exchange accounts) or where the manually entered contacts are stored (i.e. SIM or Phone).

At the bottom of my list (I had to scroll down), for some reason the contacts that were stored on my phone were set to "hidden". I checked the box and all is good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones