• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Photogdave

May 29, 2011
Well I tried to search for this issue, thing is its phone specific and havent seen a thread related to my question.

Im new here and new to smart phone. But ive been able to navigate thru it and other than this stuff called rooting etc, I can get around my phone ok.
Thats over my head big time.

Heres what Im trying to do or would like to do.
In case you dont see it, I use a Verizon Samsung Fascinate.

Im a photographer and would like to group my contacts as such:
I want in the contacts menu to display my normal contacts.
But want to make a group folder named schools.....which Ive done and add all our schools numbers and address in which I shoot via csv or gmail.

But when I do this, it also shows in the contacts tab.
I want to open contacts and under contacts only show friends family etc numbers that have always been there.
But for work....when I need a school, tab across to groups and select school folder and display only schools Ive entered.

That will work but they also show in contacts tab and this makes my contacts list 850 entries long. Kinda tough to find my buddies in there LOL.

Is there a way to do this or am I just SOL on this. I love the phone. Its done all I wanted so far and does it well. I can get a day and half easy on battey. So not the complaints of others there.
Just this one thing and was hoping all the Android(fascinate) vets on here could show me where I just overlooked something.

Thanks ahead for trying to help.

oh, and is there a Mobile version for this forum available so its easier to view on this phone.

I am pretty sure you can select what contacts to show and which ones not to show based on labels in the settings. I havent tried it before, but the rest of the Google interaction is very similar to that, so I would think the contacts can also

Do mean in gmail when you say google interaction or just Android in general.
I have added contacts via csv through my gmail account as well, and added to a group listed "schools" and they went into a folder on the phone "schools", but they still show in the contacts tab too.

And even when I try to group them though the phone that way, they still show in contacts tab. Seems like the contacts are not being moved perse, but just flagged with the label school.

I was really hoping someone had found a way to do it.
I have a pdf of this list, but its kinda cumbersome having to open the pdf, scroll and find number, then type it in. I like all the info the fascinate allows in contacts. Just open and either tap address for gps, or call or send email or send text....GREAT. Just wanna separate them so my contact list isnt like a yellow pages phone book.
I'll keep checking, maybe one of these android masters will have an easy tada fix.

This forum is greta btw. I had tons of questions about this phone when I got it, that were not answerable in manual and the local idiot down at verizon is nothing more than a salesman. Got on here and started reading through all this stuff and answered all question except this one just by reading. GREAT

Upvote 0
I'd love to know how to organize contacts too, so will keep an eye on this thread. Seems like the contacts on Fascinate is one of it's weakest components - one of my pet peeves is that you can't sort by last name, even though you enter first and last name in 2 different fields - and I haven't found an app that will let you keep it set up that way - anyone know of any that will?

DELIGHTED to find that Froyo now allows me to SORT by last name!!!! And search entire Contacts fields rather than just the name fields. Happy dance!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones