• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coolest feature you've found?

With all the concerns about errors and issues with the S3, I thought we could shift to a more positive focus. To that end, what's the coolest thing you've discovered with your S3 that you didn't know about before you got the phone?

For me, I was delighted to see that when you open the video player, the thumbnails for the videos are live: they all play a little loop from the video, all at once. It was a startling effect, and just goes to show the power of the processor, running eight simultaneous video loops at once.

What little thing did you find in your phone?

Video? There's Video? ;) :D

Upvote 0
Music streaming to TV.

I used to have an iPhone and had to buy Apple TV to stream music to my TV and therefore my home cinema sound system. Since buying the S2 and now S3 I just assumed I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a small TV symbol when playing music on the phone. Suddenly my Panasonic TV switched over and started playing the music! I have no idea how but it made my day!

Apple works with Apple, but it seems that Samsung works with Panasonic?! Fab!

Upvote 0
Music streaming to TV.

I used to have an iPhone and had to buy Apple TV to stream music to my TV and therefore my home cinema sound system. Since buying the S2 and now S3 I just assumed I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a small TV symbol when playing music on the phone. Suddenly my Panasonic TV switched over and started playing the music! I have no idea how but it made my day!

Welcome to the real world. :D

Upvote 0
Music streaming to TV.

Not only that but take it a step further and create a movie then stream it to your TV.
See this post for info.

Upvote 0
How can I stream music or video to my tv or reciever? I used Airplay lots on my iphone and airport express and really miss that feature.

I dont have a smart TV, but I have xbox360, ps3, and an HTPC connected to the tv. Surely one of them should be able to stream to it right?
Provided you have DLNA you should be able to stream using AllShare.

Upvote 0
I just discovered the briefing setting in the alarm clock. It plays your alarm ringtone for a few seconds and then computer reads the current time, current weather and the day's forecast, any appointments you have that day, and the top news headline. Reminds me of the first Iron Man movie when JARVIS pops online in the morning to tell Tony the time and current surfing conditions. :p

Can someoneplease explain how to do this - which settings?

Thanks

Upvote 0
You don't even need a flashlight shortcut if you use Tiny Flashlight + LED

To turn on the flashlight all you need to do is shake the phone from the lock screen, and shake it to turn it off again, without the need to input your security lock pattern or pin :)

I would be worried that the flashflight would turn on while in my pocket or laptop bag if it got shifted around too much. Have you had any problems like that?

Upvote 0
I would be worried that the flashflight would turn on while in my pocket or laptop bag if it got shifted around too much. Have you had any problems like that?

I have it on mine and if the screen is not on it turns off and it has a limit of time it will be on in the settings so even if it turns on you can make it last only a little while.

Upvote 0

Only once, when it was in my jeans pocket. I could see a bright spot of light shining through my jeans!

I just turned the shake sensitivity down a bit and never had that problem since. It's very seldom going to happen anyway because the screen has to be turned on first before the shake detection kicks in.

Reactions: jroyjohnson
Upvote 0
I just discovered the briefing setting in the alarm clock. It plays your alarm ringtone for a few seconds and then computer reads the current time, current weather and the day's forecast, any appointments you have that day, and the top news headline. Reminds me of the first Iron Man movie when JARVIS pops online in the morning to tell Tony the time and current surfing conditions. :p

Love this feature. It always announces the title of the alarm first, so I renamed my daily alarm to Good Morning Eddie so every week morning when it goes off, it says "Good Morning Eddie, it is 0500am,....." Love it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones