• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Copying over Contacts

lcgreen

Mar 28, 2010
I'm using a Legend atm- and I'm thinking of getting the Desire/Galaxy S, but I'm not sure how I can copy back over my contacts from my Phone to my SIM card.

When I first got the phone I copied over my contacts from my SIM to my phone and then cleared out the SIM card- but now I don't get an option from People to Export to SIM card, but I get the option to Export to SD. Having done so I'm not sure if I did it properly because there also isn't an option under View to see info from the SD card- only from Google, Phone and SIM.

I really can't be bothered getting an app for this lol. I don't really want to do Google Sync because it isn't exactly as re-assuring as having the info in a SD/SIM card you can hold lol.

So really how do I copy over my contacts from Phone to SIM/Phone to SD Card? And how can I check to see if I've done so properly (I will uncheck Phone from the View menu in People)?

Also- how to move all my SMS's from my Phone to SIM/Phone to SD as well?

thanks

The SIM phonebook isn't going to hold enough for your contacts (unless you only have one name and one number per entry). You really need to transfer data via a PC. Generally, the SIM copying function on a phone is only designed to assist those transitioning from a "regular" phone which is why you're not finding any way to copy back to the SIM.

Browse the SD card from a PC to see if the contacts were exported properly.

No idea on SMS. It's tricky to move SMS to a smartphone in general though. If you want to keep SMS messages, I'd suggest that you consider Google Voice (if you're in the US) as it retains your messages online. No need to deal with backups, copying, etc. Also no big deal if you lose your phone since the messages are synced back to your new device.

Reactions: lcgreen
Upvote 0
The SIM phonebook isn't going to hold enough for your contacts (unless you only have one name and one number per entry). You really need to transfer data via a PC. Generally, the SIM copying function on a phone is only designed to assist those transitioning from a "regular" phone which is why you're not finding any way to copy back to the SIM.

Browse the SD card from a PC to see if the contacts were exported properly.

No idea on SMS. It's tricky to move SMS to a smartphone in general though. If you want to keep SMS messages, I'd suggest that you consider Google Voice (if you're in the US) as it retains your messages online. No need to deal with backups, copying, etc. Also no big deal if you lose your phone since the messages are synced back to your new device.

ok thanks :D

I've tried seeing if it worked by importing the data again from SD and it shows the number of contacts in a bracket next to Google in View.

btw I'm in AU so I can't really use that method lol thanks anyway!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones