• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Snapchat people you may know please help!

phoenix4747

Oct 24, 2023
Signed in on a phone given to me by my bf - wad his prev phone with no sim card in it and gave to me to use. Signed in on wifi downloaded snapchat and i had to select or deselect 'friends' some of the people i know i dont have their phone numbers, how does snapchat know i know these people where does the info come from?

Apps are on the phone already like whatsapp n facebook that i havent signed into yet. How does it know i know these people or are they presumed through the phone use or my number when snapchat asked me to confirm it.

Thank yoy in advance.

I've never used Snapchat myself, so can only guess, but if you have used it on a previous phone using the same Google account you signed into this phone with, and you allowed Google to back up app information for you on that phone, then when you installed Snapchat using that account it may have got the information from that backup. Or if you have signed into a Snapchat account after installing it may have got the information from the account (I assume Snapchat has accounts, whether linked to the phone number like WhatsApp does or to an account name).

But what exactly does it say? The subject of this thread is "people you may know", so another possibility is that when you confirm your phone number it suggests people who have previously been Snapchat "friends" with that number. Or perhaps people who have your number: many social media apps try to get you to give them access to your phonebook "so you can find friends more easily" (or similar excuse), so if these people have your number and Snapchat does that (and they gave it access) then it could associate you that way. There are many ways these apps can get data, and not all of them are under your control (this is why I always get annoyed by people who say "I don't care if Google/Facebook/whoever upload my data", because their phones will contain other people's information as well and it's not their place to decide whether these corporations can have it).

Last edited:
Reactions: phoenix4747
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones