• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom ROMs on the Shine Plus are finally here!

Woke up this morning screen was working from my other post. Unplugged from the bedroom and plugged into the living room. Unplugged for maybe 30 seconds and my screen problem reappeared again. Battery pull and repeat same steps as above. Everything is wiped again but I am still on 2.3.3. This is the 4th time I tried that file. Is there anyone that can confirm if "Stock ROM for Android 2.1-update1" is in fact 2.1 and not and the 2.3.3 file isn't isnt accidentely attached to that link or something?

I can confirm that image is 2.1... Is your notification bar white? If it is, you're on 2.1. If it's black, you're on 2.3.3.

Keep in mind that going back and forth between 2.1 and 2.3 seems to be causing issues for some. It's still under investigation. Does your SIM card (Voice call) work on both versions?

As for the recovery process, you really have to copy flash_image to /system/bin with the procedure you have written there. Make sure you do su beforehand. This is the proper method:

1. su
2. mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
3. cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
4. chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
5. mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

1. (A # should appear when you do su. Your phone might ask to give su root privileges)
2. This gives read/write access to your system partition
3. This copies flash_image from the SD card to the system partition
4. This sets the proper permissions to execute flash_image
5. This restores your system partition to read only (The way it should be)

Upvote 0
OK thats where I went wrong. I did not put flash_image in /system/bin. It was just in L: or the root. Copied it over to /system/bin folder so now there is one in L: and one in system/bin.

$ su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory

~removed the underscore so its flashimage~

#cat /sdcard/flashimage > /system/bin/flashimage
/sdcard/flashimage: No such file or directory

~Put the underscore back in the name~

#cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
#cat /sdcard/flash_image > L:/flash_image
cannot create L:/flash_image: directory nonexistent

Would have tried it with L:\ but can't make a backslash in connectbot.

Attachments

• L.JPG
    L.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 120
  • system-bin.JPG
    system-bin.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
OK thats where I went wrong. I did not put flash_image in /system/bin. It was just in L: or the root. Copied it over to /system/bin folder so now there is one in L: and one in system/bin.

$ su

~removed the underscore so its flashimage~

#cat /sdcard/flashimage > /system/bin/flashimage
/sdcard/flashimage: No such file or directory

~Put the underscore back in the name~

#cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
#cat /sdcard/flash_image > L:/flash_image
cannot create L:/flash_image: directory nonexistent

Would have tried it with L:\ but can't make a backslash in connectbot.

From the message I see here, flash_image is not in the root of your sdcard folder... Because everything else seems to work. Try deleting the file, redownloading it, extract the zip file to the root of your SD card and try again. The file name should be flash_image no extensions... Tested the procedure and it works fine for me. Flashed the latest 2.2.1 image.

Oh my... Just realized. Did you mount your sd card? If so, unmount it! That's your issue! Your phone needs to be plugged in, but your SD card needs to just idle. If it's mounted to your desktop, it becomes inaccessible in your terminal app.

Upvote 0
OK I extracted to desktop and it put the file in a folder on the desktop and I copied the file to L:. Will try to extract directly to L: but if it puts it in a folder I'm putting the file in L: and removing the folder. If that doesn't work I'll try it in the folder. <-- This after double checking that its UNMOUNTED.

*OK following your instructions so far this has now extracted a flash_image file created 3/16/2010 11:24 AM into L: with no folder. Awesome. The screenshot I posted before just shows the date/time I coped it in from when I extracted it to the desktop before. *To me* this date difference seems like a GOOD thing as in I got the actual file in there now.

**Reading the command lines above again, flash_image has been moved to system/bin

***Of f--king course not
Phone state - USB Connected select to copy files to/from your computer -> No -> My computer L: is asking for a removeable disk.

Connectbot -> local ->1

$ su
# cat/sdcard/flash_image>/system/bin/flash_image (Removed all spaces. Now 1 line/1word)
cat/sdcard/flash_image: Not found
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin
cannot create system/bin: is a directory
#

****Mount SD -> bring back from /system/bin into L: -> Unmount SD
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
#mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
#reboot recovery -> reboots to normal

powercycle -> reboots to normal
powercycle vol/home/power -> recovery screen box w/ arrow

Boots to setup
Welcome to your new LG-C710 -> English Canada -> Set date format -> Setup email acct? Skip -> Thank you use phone

Selected LG Home screen as default home screen

Everything is wiped -> Menu -> Settings ->About phone -> Version 2.3.3 V20a
The files I used were "Stock ROM for Android 2.1-update1"

This is getting stupid now.

*****Tried again. No reboot recovery command. Just home button and power down -> Vol/home/power -> Box with arrow -> LG screen -> Telus screen -> Android screen -> Initial setup process as before -> Menu -> About phone

And the NON SURPRISING result......2.3.3 V20a.......F--K.

Upvote 0

I'd wager that this is because radio.img got flashed to V20 when you updated to 2.3.3, but didn't get flashed back to V10 when you downgraded to 2.1.

Karendar and I are trying to solve this issue. If we can extract these images from the phone, we can do full downgrades and upgrades at will. No idea what it'll take to solve though.

Cheers

Upvote 0
OK I extracted to desktop and it put the file in a folder on the desktop and I copied the file to L:. Will try to extract directly to L: but if it puts it in a folder I'm putting the file in L: and removing the folder. If that doesn't work I'll try it in the folder. <-- This after double checking that its UNMOUNTED.

*OK following your instructions so far this has now extracted a flash_image file created 3/16/2010 11:24 AM into L: with no folder. Awesome. The screenshot I posted before just shows the date/time I coped it in from when I extracted it to the desktop before. *To me* this date difference seems like a GOOD thing as in I got the actual file in there now.

**Reading the command lines above again, flash_image has been moved to system/bin

***Of f--king course not
Phone state - USB Connected select to copy files to/from your computer -> No -> My computer L: is asking for a removeable disk.

Connectbot -> local ->1

$ su
# cat/sdcard/flash_image>/system/bin/flash_image (Removed all spaces. Now 1 line/1word)
cat/sdcard/flash_image: Not found
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin
cannot create system/bin: is a directory
#

****Mount SD -> bring back from /system/bin into L: -> Unmount SD
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
#mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
#reboot recovery -> reboots to normal

powercycle -> reboots to normal
powercycle vol/home/power -> recovery screen box w/ arrow

Boots to setup
Welcome to your new LG-C710 -> English Canada -> Set date format -> Setup email acct? Skip -> Thank you use phone

Selected LG Home screen as default home screen

Everything is wiped -> Menu -> Settings ->About phone -> Version 2.3.3 V20a
The files I used were "Stock ROM for Android 2.1-update1"

This is getting stupid now.

*****Tried again. No reboot recovery command. Just home button and power down -> Vol/home/power -> Box with arrow -> LG screen -> Telus screen -> Android screen -> Initial setup process as before -> Menu -> About phone

You forgot one important step. After you got flash_image in system/bin with the proper permissions, you need to flash the image to your recovery partition to get it inside your recovery... The Vol down + Home + Power key combo resets phone to factory default if the recovery isn't flashed.

I suggest going in the Recovery for 2.3.3 (Which is 2.2.1) from this link:

Amon-RA (Download Shine Plus 2.2.1 zip)

Copy it to your sdcard (With extention .img)

Type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recoveryname.img
(Recoveryname.img is the name of the file you saved on your sd card)

And then reboot and try the recovery again... To navigate in the recovery, open the slider and hold the phone vertically, use Up and down arrows to navigate, Enter (Not OK) to select and Vol down to go back.

Upvote 0
ok, so here's a big issue I've encountered.

firstly thanks for all work and experimenting going on, and I know I'm one of the experimenters but as usual it's LG's fault, not mine, since their own firmware is crap.

ok, so I'm a VERY experienced rom flasher and android user (and developer, just not an actual firmware hacker). So I know I did everything correctly... I hope LoL.

did factory update to 2.3.3, worked pretty well for a coupel weeks but last couple of days phone was locking up when not used for a while. I said, screw this, can't go back to 2.1 officially, the recovery stuff appears to be DONE and stable, so I did the recovery thing. works great, I think.

backed up the 2.3 firmware since it was my current one at the time. fine. flashed the default (non-deodexed) 2.1 custom rom as (a) it appears to be the only real option aside from the non-rooted non-custom 2.1 update1 rom (which I will try next). flashed it, fine! backed it up before even booting up first time, fine!

I was uber excited now thinking - finally I can get back to 2.1, just accept that it's wifi is borked (it is in 2.3 also so meh), and use some other form of apps2sd to solve space issues.

but - I can't get any data connection. telus sp is configured by default in this 2.1 rom, but nothing. and wifi doesnt' work (but it never did in 2.1 on this phone at my house).

so I'm not sure what to do here. now the phone is COMPLETELY broken. no data and no phone connection. this is WAY worse than a phone that locks up over night.

so what is the solution? I can't be the only person in this situation...

thanks in advance for any help. I'm prepared to do what I can but I'm NOT hacker, just a very experienced rom-flashing end user and actual android app developer (but again, not rom dev in any way shape or form).

Cheers
Don

Upvote 0
edit: the 2.3.3 alpha 1.2 rom works :)

hopefully it's less crappy than the stock 2.3.3 upgrade image from lg :-D

Hi,

I'll admit the phone locks up from time to time even with the custom ROM sadly... Wifi drivers aren't up to par. I'm annoying LG to fix it ASAP...

The custom ROM is deodexed and I added a few tweaks. I'm gonna release an Alpha 1.3 version eventually, added a few memory tweaks + themed framework + SystemUI (Brought back the white notif bar + modded icons, circular battery 1% mod) and if I have time, I'll inject the CRT off animation in services.jar (Which they removed COMPLETELY from the ROM! WHY LG, WHY???)

I haven't had the time to experiment with wifi drivers... I think flashing the 2.1 kernel + 2.1 wifi libs might work on 2.3.3... I wanted to create a package for 2.1 and 2.3.3 but haven't had time to get around to it.

The reason 2.1 fails on the phone is because the baseband is upgraded with the 2.3.3 ROM to support new GSM functions. And reverting to 2.1 baseband bricks the phone (Tested by seanre453)... So upgrading to 2.3.3 is a one way road sadly.

Upvote 0
So this is pretty much the end of shine develepement I think.. is there any. News on nice roms or overcloking?

Look at Jiilik's custom ROM. He picked up where I left off and created a kernel with overclocking and AVS (Adaptive voltage scaling). We managed to OC the phone to 800 mhz stable. REALLY helps on performance!

I also got the CRT off animation coded into our phone, made a theme (For Gingerbread only) and I just bought a second Shine Plus to see what I can do more on this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones