• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CWM Recovery For PCD Chaser

I'm typing in su to get su permissions, and run the commands, still getting file not found ( see attached screen shot)
u6u8yzyd.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm typing in su to get su permissions, and run the commands, still getting file not found ( see attached screen shot)
u6u8yzyd.jpg

create a dir with the rec name in the root of your sdcard, and copy recovery.img there..

iam sorry this isnt easier, i tried to make it simple with a recovery installer, but that didnt work at all

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to everybody who put in the time and effort to make it possible to root and install a custom recovery on the Chaser, yes Dm47021 and Downthemachine thank you for the Custom Recovery efforts. I got it installed with only minor problems that were my fault, and it has been working great ever since, Thank you again!!

If you are having out of memory problems when installing programs give the Link2SD app a try, (I'm not affiliated with it in anyway, just a happy user) been using it since I got the chaser rooted months ago and it has worked great for keeping the phone memory problem under control.

Upvote 0
Dm47021: How did you get the ADB to recognize the phone? Mine won't recognize it at all, even with the drivers.

EDIT: IF you cannot use ADB... You MUST be rooted.

Requires: A working terminal emulator
A root file explorer (ES File Explorer and Root Explorer both work)
flash_image and recovery.img found in OP

1) Download the flash_image and recovery.img to your device, folder is irrelevant. Make it your sdcard root to make it easy (/sdcard or /sdcard/Download both work)
2) Use your explorer to move flash_image to /system/bin
3) Use explorer to change permissions to RWX/R-X/R-X (or do a chmod 755 from the terminal)
4) use the command "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img"
5) Done. Use /sdcard/Download/recovery.img if you used that location.

DONE

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Reactions: dogdayz
Upvote 0
OK I got a question wats fastboot and how do u get out of fastboot?

fastboot is annother tool like adb built into the phone, except it works via usb.
to get to fastboot, you vol + and power, like recovery.

you need the fastboot program install on your windows/linux system.

it also serves as a fool proof unbrick tool

Upvote 0
i just rooted a virgin mobile pcd chaser and i tried to flash a custom recovery through fastboot,and after a couple tries it kept saying''waiting for device''.well ive been on this for THREE HOURS.So if someone can give some advice or help me fix the problem it will be highly appriciated.

1. Did you boot into fastboot .. vol+ pwr
2. Do you have the drivers installed ?
3. Windows or linux?

Upvote 0
Okay PCD Chaser uses, here it is. how to root your phone, and install Clockwork Mod Recovery.

To Root

1. Download Ministro II From Here: Download Now

2. Download Poot_debug.apk From Here: Download Now

Run poot and let it download what it needs.
reboot
Run poot again
Select Download Superuser

it will run and install

Congrats you just rooted your chaser

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm going to be attempting the above root process tonight on my step-daughter's phone and am hoping for a little clarification. I'm fairly adept at most things Android so perhaps I'm over thinking it, but these directions seem a little unclear.

First, when you say download and run poot_debug.apk, you just mean install the apk on the phone, right?

And second, does poot somehow use ministro to obtain root because you never mention doing anything with that apk. Do I just put it in the same folder where poot is located?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'd like to be sure of the process before I get started later tonight.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm going to be attempting the above root process tonight on my step-daughter's phone and am hoping for a little clarification. I'm fairly adept at most things Android so perhaps I'm over thinking it, but these directions seem a little unclear.

First, when you say download and run poot_debug.apk, you just mean install the apk on the phone, right?

And second, does poot somehow use ministro to obtain root because you never mention doing anything with that apk. Do I just put it in the same folder where poot is located?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'd like to be sure of the process before I get started later tonight.

Thanks!

you are right, poot uses it. jsut install both, and run. should be good

Upvote 0
Removed,

Figured I'd say I used pimp my rom to fix the glitches in the screen for cyanoid version of chaser and enabled the fps and vsync

Gave the phone to my lil cousin as a handheld tablet to play with & keep since I bought it basically just to play more & learn 9 dollar tablet so wasn't a big loss

Take care peeps I am out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones