• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data connection drops. All the time. Anyone else?

Same problems here, even wifi reception sucks compared to other phones we have (at least 20dbm lower than my LG). So i shut off wifi and then 4g shows good signal but actual data works only half the time.

First time vz customer and not sure if i should just cancel the service or get a different phone since i am still on the trial period.

Upvote 0
Same problems here, even wifi reception sucks compared to other phones we have (at least 20dbm lower than my LG). So i shut off wifi and then 4g shows good signal but actual data works only half the time.

First time vz customer and not sure if i should just cancel the service or get a different phone since i am still on the trial period.

well, the Maxx aside for a moment...i can tell you that i've had sprint (4 years), t mobile (4 years), at&t (2 years), nextel (work phone), and now verizon for the past 5 years....and there is NO comparison in the 5 companies in terms of call quality, lack of dropped calls, and coverage....and it's all in favor (again, by a mile) of verizon. this particular Maxx problem i'm having is basically my first ever hiccup with anything related to verizon.

*and i've got no dogs in this race, and otherwise have zero affiliation with verzion in any capacity. just passing on MY experiences, again with regard to coverage, and call quality, etc.

Upvote 0
This is one of the most baffling problems I have seen with any phone ever. Never seen something this bizarre with just one style of the same phone. There is nothing different between the Razr and the Razr Maxx. Same antennas, same LTE chip, same os, same layout, but only a different size battery. Yet the Razr does not have this issue. So could the battery be causing these problems? Literally, that is all that is different between the models. Is the backplate causing problems, since it is different than the razr? Is that capable of affecting the 4G signal? Is the heat from the bigger battery not dissipating as quickly and thus affecting the internal parts?

all good questions/theories wxman. i can't figure out why it's just starting to effect most of us in the past two weeks (albeit a small handful of people having the problem prior). i gotta think that the battery causing overheating would have surfaced earlier (to more people), and likewise, the pack plate interfering with reception. and again, why only some of the Maxx's out there? i don't get it.

Upvote 0
I have Bionic. Noticed 4g going white from blue every 10 seconds or so dropping data. This started after the latest Gingerbread update on Friday. To me it looks like something got screwed up with the latest update at least on My phone. My service is in LA area.

interesting. my son has the Bionic also, and i keep asking him (over and over! lol) if he's having connectivity problems, and he keeps telling me that he's not. weird.

btw...we're in the LA (Los Angeles) area also...in the southern portion of LA County. and again, this started for me a week ago thursday (so i'm 10 days in to the problem) up in oakland, and has followed me all over the state back down here to So Cal.

let us know if your Bionic continues to have problems. thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi bixler. Ya I am still having issues. Talked to Verizon and they walked me through changing battery and data setting but still have problems. Again, at least in my case I am almost positive the latest OS screwed something up since the update was installed late fri night and ever since yesterday morning (sat) I have had connectivity probs. I have read swapping sim card as an option but then again that seems not to have resolved things for many. I really hope I could get some answers.

Upvote 0
pardon my ignorance on this: what 'update' did we have recently? was it something that would have been pushed down to my phone...even without me being aware?

thanks.
I'm talking about the last build that went out to everyone several weeks ago. I can't remember the build number off hand, and don't have my phone with me at the moment. I believe it might have been in April?

My data issues increased significantly after that update, but my wife's Maxx just started having issues in the last 1-2 weeks.

Upvote 0
I have had data drops too for the first time ever, in the last three days.

I never notice it at home since I have a wifi connection.

I'm not doing any phone changes since all these variables and one constant, we all have Verizon.

I'm gonna say Verizon is the culprit.

But it's only DROID MAXX. Not even the same phone with a smaller battery has this problem (the good old DROID RAZR.) I guess the only thing we can do is to keep calling Verizon and Motorola.

Upvote 0
But it's only DROID MAXX. Not even the same phone with a smaller battery has this problem (the good old DROID RAZR.) I guess the only thing we can do is to keep calling Verizon and Motorola.

dunno why it seems to be just the Maxx effected....yet....

why has this problem just surfaced (for the most part) in the past two weeks on phones that had heretofore worked perfectly fine?

Upvote 0
and to reiterate my weekend findings....

IF i stay on 3g only, i seem to keep connectivity.

so it seems to be a 4g only problem...and only on the Maxx....yet not all Maxx's?

looks like a X File to me! :)

My wife and I have both tried switching to 3G only, and it didn't make a difference for either of our phones - we still lost data.

The one consistency with this issue seems to be that it's different for everyone. :)

Upvote 0
It's not just the Razr guys. It's across platforms many Bionics are having the same issues. 4G goes from blue to white and when it's white no data connection. I thought it was VZW bringing up new 4 G markets but it looks like its a Google Server issue because phones show good strong 3G or 4G connection to VZW but white indicating no connection to the Google servers.

Upvote 0
It's not just the Razr guys. It's across platforms many Bionics are having the same issues. 4G goes from blue to white and when it's white no data connection. I thought it was VZW bringing up new 4 G markets but it looks like its a Google Server issue because phones show good strong 3G or 4G connection to VZW but white indicating no connection to the Google servers.

sure enough, i just checked over on the Bionic forum here, and they've got several different connectivity issue threads going on over there.

it's NOT just the Maxx.

hmmm....

Upvote 0
Not only has my Maxx been dropping connection lately, but when I do have a 4G connection, it's terribly slow. speed tests from speedtest.net app have been:

download upload ping
.56Mbps 2.2Mpbs 107ms
.56Mbps 2.03Mbps 102ms
.30Mbps .65Mbps 601ms
.29Mbps 3.36Mbps 103ms
.30Mbps 2.4Mbps 115ms

and NO I do NOT have the upload & download columns mixed up, hehe. these results where with 3-5 bars in 4G area in Minneapolis, MN.

Upvote 0
these results where with 3-5 bars in 4G area in Minneapolis, MN.

I just ran SpeedTest in Chanhassen:

Download Upload Ping
.61 mbps .03 mbps 779 ms

And that was with full 3G bars - not even a 4G connection for whatever reason.

I then switched my phone to 3G only then back and locked in a 4G signal. I re-ran the test and got:

Download Upload Ping
7.33 mbps .87 mbps 113 ms

Upvote 0
I just ran SpeedTest in Chanhassen:

Download Upload Ping
.61 mbps .03 mbps 779 ms

And that was with full 3G bars - not even a 4G connection for whatever reason.

I then switched my phone to 3G only then back and locked in a 4G signal. I re-ran the test and got:

Download Upload Ping
7.33 mbps .87 mbps 113 ms

Just did the same thing... did not have the same results as you. Boo!

On 3G - down - .72Mbps up - .83 Mbps ping - 147ms
on 4G - down - .43Mpbs up - 4.42Mpbs ping - 109ms

I'm really hoping this is all apart of what everyone else is experiencing and that the ICS update will fix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones