• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data Connection Problem

I had this problem too. I thought it was apps, 3 factory resets later the same problem kept reappearing even when I only have a few apps installed. Data worked fine on my atrix so what solved the issue was the APN. By default the sammy has a rubbish APN.
add a new APN as follows and problem should be solved:
Name : 3
APN: three.co.uk
MMSC: http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS Proxy: 217:171:129:2
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 234
MNC: 20
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: Internet + mms

Using the above APN definitely sorted my woes, I now have around 150 apps installed and no data issues...

I have been having the exact same problem as OP and the others, im on three in the uk and
helpful folk at three assured me it was a faulty old sim and sent me a new one which changed nothing.

tried quoted settings as written. this caused no data connection whatsoever even with flight mode toggle and phone restart, any other solutions?

Upvote 0
Hi

I am having problem with my internet (data) connection on my phone.

What's happening is that i start using the internet connection with no problems then at one point i lose data connection - all other serviced work well - sms / calls.

In order to get my data connection back i either have to restart phone or else go to flight mode and off flight mode again.

Is anyone experiencing a similar problem?

Ken

My solution and experience:
Solution: Give yourself a missed call from another phone, (or send in an sms). Somehow this 'establishes' some connection and viola! data connection is back in 5 seconds. (i know, for calling yourself u need to ask someone for his phone.. lol)

Also: I got a dual sim phone. I use Vodafone and Uninor (India).
Data is always connected and fine when on Vodafone, but drops when i use data on Uninor. So I use the above method to re-establish data. So I guess the service provider has something to do with the issue. The phone's just fine.
Hope it works for you!
Regards

Upvote 0
Ok guys, i have the same problem, turning off data then back on resolves for a few minutes but eventually the problems returns whether its 5 minutes or 20 minutes later!

Turning off H using the *#301276# code works perfectly for me, however if my phone is capable of something i want to use those capabilities!

Is this an issue with hardware or software? should i go back to O2 and demand a replacement handset or will an android update address these issues?

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem, 3 UK GS2, and losing data connection down to a round symbol indicating no network. :mad: I also found this forum 3 UK Network data hanging - UPDATE THREE ACCEPT ISSUE - Page 7 - xda-developers , more people with the same problems. :eek:

Must say though, since disabling Fast Dormancy and changing my APN settings/removing the battery, I've not **yet** experienced the problem again.

Fingers crossed :D

Upvote 0
I can't get 3G on my newly acquired sgs2 because I can't configure the APN. Every time I try to add a new APN the program stops and I get the following message:
Sorry!
The application settings(processcom.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again
force close

as a result I cannot configure the phone to receive 3G coverage.

Any pointers??!!

Upvote 0
I can't get 3G on my newly acquired sgs2 because I can't configure the APN. Every time I try to add a new APN the program stops and I get the following message:
Sorry!
The application settings(processcom.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again
force close

as a result I cannot configure the phone to receive 3G coverage.

Any pointers??!!

Maybe re-flash the stock ROM?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply.

This is my first android phone, I am totally android-illiterate.

How do I re-flash the stock ROM?

Would that wipe out any data on it?

I would say Google is your friend here, there are PLENTY of guides on the xda developers forum though.
Another good site is sammobile, guides and roms there also.

And yes, it will wipe, so backup first.

Good luck.

Reactions: Swomped
Upvote 0
Thanx

I inserted a different SIM into my SGS2 and it worked perfectly I was able to access the APN and configure it to new values. I immediately took that SIM out and re-inserted mine but was quickly disappointed with same old result.

My own SIM also worked with my old htc windows mobile phone. That just added to my confusion!!

Upvote 0
Thanx

I inserted a different SIM into my SGS2 and it worked perfectly I was able to access the APN and configure it to new values. I immediately took that SIM out and re-inserted mine but was quickly disappointed with same old result.

My own SIM also worked with my old htc windows mobile phone. That just added to my confusion!!

Sounds like you need a new SIM then, I'm sure you can get one from your local shop if you explain the situation. Don't let them charge you though - remind them you want it to be able to spend money on THEIR network! :D

Upvote 0
Sounds like you need a new SIM then, I'm sure you can get one from your local shop if you explain the situation. Don't let them charge you though - remind them you want it to be able to spend money on THEIR network! :D
It sure looks like it. Although it's not making much sense to me!!

Also try factory-resetting the handset (Settings/Privacy/Factory data reset). It could be nothing more complicated than a corrupt database file causing the APN settings to be lost.
But if that was the case, why would it work with other SIMs? A factory reset would wipe out everything on the phone right?

Upvote 0
if that was the case, why would it work with other SIMs?

Good point, but then if the SIM is faulty why does it work fine with another handset? There's no real logic to this problem, but when a core process is force-closing like this a factory reset is the usual remedy. Try a replacement SIM first though.

A factory reset would wipe out everything on the phone right?

Yes but I was hoping that, as it's a new handset, this wouldn't be to much hassle. It it can be avoided, all the better. :)

Upvote 0
Yes but I was hoping that, as it's a new handset, this wouldn't be to much hassle. It it can be avoided, all the better. :)

It's about 10 days old now and I've already downloaded quite a few apps. but that's not a big deal.

The problem is that I've been transferring my -over 1100- contacts via Bluetooth one by one, I'm dreading having to do that all over again (although I've only transferred about 20% so far)

Upvote 0
Hi all, I have a Mediatek China phone (Hero H4300 MT6573 chip). I can verify that my 3G internet data connection can be manually restored via "SIM Management / Data Connection" but I do have to let the earlier connection "totally disconnect" by waiting patiently for at least 2 minutes. Occasionally this will NOT work and I have to reboot my device. This is definitely an Android rather than brand issue...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones