• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

data plan... omg :(

aekhhi

Jul 10, 2010
so...... when AT&T was "fixing" my APN settings for over an hour. They told me the manager had to switch something in the system so I could keep my unlimited data plan & be able to access the internet without wifi. I asked more than once if I still had my unlimited data plan. I was flat out told, yes you still have the unlimited data plan.

I just looked at my account & I'm on a 2GB HSPA+/4G Smartphone plan.

Since when is 2GB, an unlimited data plan? I'm constantly on my phone. I'm not always near wifi.

Plus, I have K-9 Mail pushing emails to me every 5 minutes... its work email.

How can I get switched back to my unlimited data? Is there a 4G grandfathered data plan? Or am I stuck now?

so...... when AT&T was "fixing" my APN settings for over an hour. They told me the manager had to switch something in the system so I could keep my unlimited data plan & be able to access the internet without wifi. I asked more than once if I still had my unlimited data plan. I was flat out told, yes you still have the unlimited data plan.

I just looked at my account & I'm on a 2GB HSPA+/4G Smartphone plan.

Since when is 2GB, an unlimited data plan? I'm constantly on my phone. I'm not always near wifi.

Plus, I have K-9 Mail pushing emails to me every 5 minutes... its work email.

How can I get switched back to my unlimited data? Is there a 4G grandfathered data plan? Or am I stuck now?
LOL, I actually just spent an hour the phone with att for the exact same thing!? Yes it is grandfathers. But they have to go find the billing code for it though. They were trying to tell me that it was the $45 plan but that is 4gb and gathering, not unlimited. Just call them back and they should be able to fix it.

Upvote 0
When you call in you are merely speaking to a person at a call center. They have different skill levels, that's why we get different answers.

It shouldn't be that way but it is, and all carriers are the same. So patience is the key.

Also remember you can always call right back & get a different person. When you do call back just tell them the story, they will look at your account & if you had unlimited before they will restore it for you.

Just do it soon. :)

Upvote 0
they had to open a case against it. the manager remembered my phone.. lol and she came out and told me that the cs rep was supposed to tell me that they had to put 2GB on for a temporary fix until they could get them to switch it over to the unlimited plan. told them that it had to do with a billing code because there is an unlimited HSPA/4G plan. and they realized this, etc. and it should be fixed by the 28th.

ugh.
hopefully it gets fixed.

Upvote 0
If you noticed within your 30 day trail period, you can always take it back and have them revert your account back to your unlimited plan.

In truth, they didn't need to do anything to set up your new phone. I had my X10 on my Blackberry unlimited setup for 29 days, it didn't care, it was unlimited and worked fine.

The only thing that has to happen for a new phone to work on your account is you need to put your SIM in the device, no set-up required (as long as you already had a unlimited plan already on your account).

Sometimes dealing over the phone is a pain, but I have had good lucky recently with At&t. If not, go to the store that messed you up, they always like repeat business :eek:

Upvote 0
In truth, they didn't need to do anything to set up your new phone. I had my X10 on my Blackberry unlimited setup for 29 days, it didn't care, it was unlimited and worked fine.

The only thing that has to happen for a new phone to work on your account is you need to put your SIM in the device, no set-up required (as long as you already had a unlimited plan already on your account).

I really believe this not to be true at all. I had the dell streak on unl data on this line then swapped in my sim from that phone into my new inspire and no network data. Since one is 3g and one is 4g it would need to be changed. Its about the network your account uses. I know that going from android 3g to iphone 3g and blackberry 3g isn't a big deal to the system, but i guess it really does not like when you try to use a 4g phone on 3g codes. Mine was the exact same way with the check under the data symbol. IMO

Upvote 0
I really believe this not to be true at all. I had the dell streak on unl data on this line then swapped in my sim from that phone into my new inspire and no network data. Since one is 3g and one is 4g it would need to be changed.
You may be right on the 3g to 4g, my BB Curve was "no G", but it had a 3G sim card, so it worked fine. That said, At&t currently doesn't have any 4G network, so I don't believe having a 3g card in a 4g device is going to matter for some time anyway.

Upvote 0
If you noticed within your 30 day trail period, you can always take it back and have them revert your account back to your unlimited plan.

Sometimes dealing over the phone is a pain, but I have had good lucky recently with At&t. If not, go to the store that messed you up, they always like repeat business :eek:
Lastnight, I took the sim out of my Captivate and put it in my Iphone 3G. I had no data and yes, Im unlimited.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones