• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help deleting recent contacts in text messaging

Thanks for your reply. It does not appear to be a log.

If I look in my Contacts from the home screen, I see all my contacts. If I choose the phone from the Home screen, and select Contacts I see all my contacts. Fine, no problem.

If I select Messaging from the home screen, and then choose a contact, I see a huge list of phone numbers that I recognise, then my contacts. The question is how do I stop these numbers 'being collected' and stored with my contacts for messaging. It sounds unbelievable that they only appear her, but its true.

As i said before, if I use Kies I can see them all and delete them, but it is a pain.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same problem of not being able to delete all txt msg recent contacts. I was always able to delete some recent txt msg contacts but not all, it drove me nuts!:thinking:

So to delete all recent txt msg contacts, start by clearing your history log under contacts. This should delete some. If it doesn't delete any, no worries, the next step will clean it all up.

Next, go to settings - applications - manage applications - select the "running" tab - scroll down and select "dialer storage" - select "clear data"

This action cleared all recent txt msg contacts in addition to all my txt msgs.

I figured this out through trial and error, if this doesn't work for you, keep exploring the other applications while clicking on the "clear data" option until you choose the right one. I think there are several ways of deleting the recent txt msg contacts bc I was able to delete recent contacts along with other things that I needed by clearing the data of other applications :/ but the clear data - dialer storage option was the safest in terms of only affecting txt msging

**I suggest you backup/save your contacts and data to an external memory and also become familiar with how to restore your default APN settings in the process of exploring. I accidentally deleted all of my contacts and disabled my internet :eek: the fix for the APN settings was easy, restoring contacts was just time consuming.

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0
This is for the Samsung Galaxy S3 - (maybe this will work for the Infuse)
1.On your home page go into "PHONE"
2.Once in phone go to "RECENT"
3. Once in recent go to the bottom left side of your phone an click to get the Menu bar.
4. Once the menu bar is up select "VIEW BY". This will give you the options of your log. Select "ALL CALLS AND MESSAGES".
5. This will show your complete history of calls and messages and now can be deleted completely.
Hope this works!!

Upvote 0
Someone already posted it on here but I just wanted to validate that I tried it and it worked perfectly.

What you do:

-starting from the home page, go to your phone dialer icon

-click on 'call log'

-press the menu key

-hit 'delete' and check the 'select all' box

...And that's it. Go ahead and go back to your recent contacts to check for yourself that it worked. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
Ok go into phone click recent , click menu ,click view by, then choose whatever option fits you best for the logs you want to delete then click menu again and choose delete. you can delete all or pick and choose. (thanks to Chevyman29 at androidcentral) I spent all afternoon and downloaded several erasers, but this was the only thing I tried that worked.

Upvote 0
cant find out how to delete recent contacts in samsung infuse from text message list, anybody know how?

What you are seeing in messages recent contacts is the same as your recent phone call list. Go to Contacts, click on Recent, on the left click on All Calls and in the drop down choose All Calls and Messages. There are 3 dots on the right hand side click and choose Delete. You can choose individual or all. Once complete go back to messages recent contacts and it should show deleted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones