• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DETAILED Leak Root Tutorial

No permissions is an issue with the driver for the phone under ubuntu.

In a terminal type

sudo pico /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

that will start a file named 51-android.rules in the correct location

in that file copy and paste

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0c02", MODE="0666", OWNER="yourusername"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0c01", MODE="0666", OWNER="yourusername"

and change the "yourusername" part with your user name

restart udev with

sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

unplug the phone and plug it back in. try step 7 again
LINUX MAN TO THE RESCUE! haha

Upvote 0
Windows 7 user here... I got messed up at thus step as well, except I couldn't get the recovery.img file to flash.

Now I'm stuck with no recovery to restore from, and to make matters worse, I've lost root.

Got root and recovery back using adb and the files and instructions for hack4.zip :)

Everything is good now (rooted, unlocked engineering bootloader, and overclocked). :cool:

Upvote 0
Got root and recovery back using adb and the files and instructions for hack4.zip :)

Everything is good now (rooted, unlocked engineering bootloader, and overclocked). :cool:

Niceeeee, i think once you see the change in the bootloader reboot and do the root instructions again... I'm going to add that to the official instructions to hopefully ease some confusion

Upvote 0
No permissions is an issue with the driver for the phone under ubuntu.

In a terminal type

sudo pico /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

that will start a file named 51-android.rules in the correct location

in that file copy and paste

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0c02", MODE="0666", OWNER="yourusername"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0c01", MODE="0666", OWNER="yourusername"

and change the "yourusername" part with your user name

restart udev with

sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

unplug the phone and plug it back in. try step 7 again

Didn't work, But thanks

Upvote 0
The USB drivers in SDK didn't play nice with my phone either (Windows). I installed HTC Sync, and that did the trick for me.
Yeah i searched Yahoo and found a link that had that as suggested, sure enough it works now. If only Linux was that easy.
Thanks though.

Just another quick Thank You to everyone.
I finally got my phone rooted, and so far its been amazing.

Upvote 0
In order to flash a new ROM after obtaining root you simply:
1. Find and download the ROM that you want to use.
2. Mount your PC and copy the .zip file over to your SD card like you did for root.
3. Turn off your phone and power it back up while holding down the up volume key.
4. After booting into Recovery, go to Wipe and wipe factory data along with Dalvik Cache.
5. Back out of the Wipe menu and go to Install from SD. Your ROM will be there. Hit install and it will put the new ROM that you want, on your phone.
6. Reboot and you will see a boot animation screen for several minutes before it loads your new ROM.
7. Repeat this procedure with a Nand Backup each time you get a new ROM set up.

Upvote 0
I first want to say... wag3slav3 you are amazing...

after trying hours and hours with the old root method, first try with this one it works... it was so easy, a caveman could do it.

I was going to ask how to flash new ROMS, but alprazolam beat me to the punch haha..

I do have another question though, if I want to flash a new app, for example, I would like to replace the stock dialer with the DialerOne app, which involves flashing the app, but does not require a wipe... How would i go about doing that? is it the same as the steps above just without the wipe?

I am a rooting noob, so sorry if this is a redundant question.

agian... THANKS!!!!

Upvote 0
I first want to say... alprazolam you are amazing...

after trying hours and hours with the old root method, first try with this one it works... it was so easy, a caveman could do it.

I was going to ask how to flash new ROMS, but you beat me to the punch haha..

I do have another question though, if I want to flash a new app, for example, I would like to replace the stock dialer with the DialerOne app, which involves flashing the app, but does not require a wipe... How would i go about doing that? is it the same as the steps above just without the wipe?

I am a rooting noob, so sorry if this is a redundant question.

agian... THANKS!!!!

Normally you would just copy the ZIP file onto your SD card (and keep it zipped), then boot into recovery and flash it the same way you do the ROMs (minus the wipe). Once in a while there will be different instructions for installing, but usually those are posted.

Upvote 0
In order to flash a new ROM after obtaining root you simply:
1. Find and download the ROM that you want to use.
2. Mount your PC and copy the .zip file over to your SD card like you did for root.
3. Turn off your phone and power it back up while holding down the up volume key.
4. After booting into Recovery, go to Wipe and wipe factory data along with Dalvik Cache.
5. Back out of the Wipe menu and go to Install from SD. Your ROM will be there. Hit install and it will put the new ROM that you want, on your phone.
6. Reboot and you will see a boot animation screen for several minutes before it loads your new ROM.
7. Repeat this procedure with a Nand Backup each time you get a new ROM set up.

I put this in the instructions

Upvote 0
sigh alright. I am trying to follw the directions for windows, and I am to the part where i open sdk tools folder shift key plus right mouse click should give me open command window here. when I do this , I do not get the option to open command window. i did not download eclipse, do i need to? I never saw anything that said i did, just sdk you guys are amazing and I appreciate your help thus far.

Upvote 0
quick question about the ROM you recommended surgeon, is it normal for my gmail app to not update as items arrive? or is there something i am forgetting to set?

My gmail syncs as soon as I get an email. To check your sync settings go into Settings> Accounts & Sync and make sure auto-sync is checked. Then click on your gmail account and make sure "sync gmail" is checked

Upvote 0
sigh alright. I am trying to follw the directions for windows, and I am to the part where i open sdk tools folder shift key plus right mouse click should give me open command window here. when I do this , I do not get the option to open command window. i did not download eclipse, do i need to? I never saw anything that said i did, just sdk you guys are amazing and I appreciate your help thus far.

You can also go to start, run, and type cmd. That will open up a command window. From there cd to your tools folder, it should look something like this "cd C:/android-sdk-windows/tools/"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones