• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [DEV] WIP CM9 (Camera) [updated 2/23/2013]

Ok, so I have successfully integrated a camera wrapper in to the code and have made some real progress. I need to make some more changes to the kernel, I believe, but I am definitely making progress. Here is the logcat:

Code:
D/OpenGLRenderer(  378): Flushing caches (mode 1)
V/CameraHolder( 9566): open camera 0
D/QcomCamera( 9590): HAL_get_camera_info: loading libcamera at 0x7000e9c0
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): HAL_getCameraInfo: cameraId=0,orientation=90
I/CameraService( 9590): Opening camera 0
D/QcomCamera( 9590): loading libcamera at 0x7000e9c0
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): openCameraHardware: call createInstance cameraId=0 
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): createInstance: E
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): QualcommCameraHardware constructor E
V/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590):  Storing the current target type as 3 
V/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): constructor EX
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): createInstance: created hardware=0x18900
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): startCamera E
V/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): Camera device FD: 16
D/OpenGLRenderer(  378): Flushing caches (mode 0)
V/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): loading liboemcamera at 0x7000ebf0
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): startCamera: camsensor name mt9p111, flash 1,orientation 0
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): startCamera X
I/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): initDefaultParameters E
V/QualcommCameraHardware( 9590): native_set_parm: fd 16, type 1, length 88
E/mt9p111 ( 9590): Inside mt9p111_process_start 
F/libc    ( 9590): Fatal signal 8 (SIGFPE) at 0x00002576 (code=0)
E/mt9p111 ( 9590): [user] mt9p111_video_config, sfd = 15
F/libc    ( 9590): Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x00000168 (code=1)
W/Camera  ( 9566): Camera server died!
E/CameraHolder( 9566): fail to connect Camera
E/CameraHolder( 9566): java.lang.RuntimeException: Fail to connect to camera service
E/CameraHolder( 9566):     at android.hardware.Camera.native_setup(Native Method)
E/CameraHolder( 9566):     at android.hardware.Camera.<init>(Camera.java:320)
E/CameraHolder( 9566):     at android.hardware.Camera.open(Camera.java:280)
E/CameraHolder( 9566):     at com.android.camera.CameraHolder.open(CameraHolder.java:131)
E/CameraHolder( 9566):     at com.android.camera.Util.openCamera(Util.java:321)
E/CameraHolder( 9566):     at com.android.camera.Camera$4.run(Camera.java:1251)
E/CameraHolder( 9566):     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:856)
I/DEBUG   (10084): debuggerd: Oct 18 2012 20:09:00
V/camera  ( 9566): surfaceChanged. w=480. h=640
I/CameraService(10087): CameraService started (pid=10087)
D/QcomCamera(10087): HAL_get_number_of_cameras: loading libcamera at 0x7000e9c0
V/QualcommCameraHardware(10087): HAL_getNumberOfCameras:
D/QcomCamera(10087): HAL_get_number_of_cameras: numCameras:2
D/OpenGLRenderer( 9566): Flushing caches (mode 0)

Upvote 0
g60,
I'm sorry, I have to ask.
I'm on Eastern time here, you're on Mountain time, which makes your reply is posted 3:08 AM. When do you sleep?

I got about 5 1/2 hours last night from 9:00pm-2:30am. I am a little tired but still going!

Ok, so I have successfully integrated a camera wrapper in to the code and have made some real progress. I need to make some more changes to the kernel, I believe, but I am definitely making progress. Here is the logcat:

Code:
E/mt9p111 ( 9590): Inside mt9p111_process_start 
F/libc    ( 9590): Fatal signal 8 (SIGFPE) at 0x00002576 (code=0)
E/mt9p111 ( 9590): [user] mt9p111_video_config, sfd = 15
F/libc    ( 9590): Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x00000168 (code=1)
W/Camera  ( 9566): Camera server died!

What code are you using for camerahal? Do you have a link? These look the same errors I am getting with the MTDEV-CM9. Also are you building from g60 github or mtdev-cm9 github? Sorry for all the questions, I just haven't tested camerahal yet. I am focusing on all the hardware to make sure it's all in working order before I mess with the camera.

Reactions: nwaves
Upvote 0
I got about 5 1/2 hours last night from 9:00pm-2:30am. I am a little tired but still going!

What code are you using for camerahal? Do you have a link? These look the same errors I am getting with the MTDEV-CM9. Also are you building from g60 github or mtdev-cm9 github? Sorry for all the questions, I just haven't tested camerahal yet until I solve all hardware issues to make sure everything is running proper.
I found this and had to make a lot of modifications to the code and boardconfig.mk to get it to build. https://github.com/Dorregaray. I was searching for the thread that had all the logs about the camera, so I'm not sure if they are the same errors or not, I couldn't remember if it got that far in to the process before the camera server died. I am building from I think the last mantera cm9 code. I haven't pulled a new CM9 in a while, so I was just using what was on my HD. I know alot has changed, I just figured that if the camera works it will work across the board.

EDIT: I also integrated the the kernel to build with the ROM, and it seems to make the kernel a lil bigger.

Upvote 0
I found this and had to make a lot of modifications to the code and boardconfig.mk to get it to build. https://github.com/Dorregaray. I was searching for the thread that had all the logs about the camera, so I'm not sure if they are the same errors or not, I couldn't remember if it got that far in to the process before the camera server died. I am building from I think the last mantera cm9 code. I haven't pulled a new CM9 in a while, so I was just using what was on my HD. I know alot has changed, I just figured that if the camera works it will work across the board.

EDIT: I also integrated the the kernel to build with the ROM, and it seems to make the kernel a lil bigger.

You maybe spinning your wheels. This is the whole reason I started from the beginning as there is a lot of code I am not 100% we need. Right now there is only (4) repos we really need to make the phone work besides the camera of course, and possible tethering as I have not tested it yet.

android_frameworks_base - RIL/3G, MMS, Headset
android_hardware_qcom_gps - GPS
android_hardware_libhardware_legacy - Wi-Fi
android_hardware_msm7k - GPS

If you take mantera's device files and try to build them with vanilla (unedited code) CM9 code the phone will not boot. After I reconfigured our device files they will build properly with the vanilla code and the phone does boot. So my suggestion would be to grab my code and try the camera fixes on it.

$ repo init -u git://github.com/g60madman/android.git -b ics

$ repo sync

Just want to save you the pain I have felt for the last few months as I have tried over 100 builds with no movement at all on the camera, accept the nice little error you are getting in the logcat.

Reactions: BSydz
Upvote 0
Has anyone built his yet? I'm interested in testing it out (I get bored too easy and need to tinker) but I don't have the resources to build it myself (32-bit ubuntu running on a laptop).

Once I get Wi-Fi nailed down and MMS I will be posting a beta test ROM so everyone can test it out. Right now with the issues I am having it's not worth using yet as a daily, but it's close I should have more this weekend.

Upvote 0
Once I get Wi-Fi nailed down and MMS I will be posting a beta test ROM so everyone can test it out. Right now with the issues I am having it's not worth using yet as a daily, but it's close I should have more this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up! MTDEV-CM9 has been my daily for a while and I have no complaints, but this new project definitely has me excited.

Upvote 0

Dorregaray is the dev who just got cam working on HP touch pad. Good work on his part considering its a web os device turned android. Lots of people thought that would be impossible to fix for lack of code/support. No drivers.

I thought someone would look at his work and see if any part of the code helps MT.

Upvote 0
would there be another beta build coming very soon?

Hey man, not to sound rude at all, but I feel it is Unwritten Rule Numero Uno to never ask for ETAs. It's like asking:
"Are we there yet?"
"No we're not, and I don't know when we'll be but we'll get there when we get there."

So just sit back and watch Gangam Style three or four more times. I know I perviously stated that I no longer use the phone but it has become my mini-tablet and Netflix device, but these guys have lives, wives, families, jobs, sh*t to do, and personal times (...that sounded wrong didn't it?). Once again I'm not trying to sound rude, I apologize if I am.

Upvote 0
Hi g60, You are making great progress and I cant wait for the working release!! I was just wondering when you test the gps do you leave it off to conserve battery and turn it on right before you use it or do you always leave gps on so it can lock quicker?

By default it's always one in the top menu. Once it locks which takes about 30 seconds it seems to still have to find a lock again once you use it again. Even though it's on its not using battery until you trigger a service to use it. I want to spend more time on GPS to see if there is any more we can do to make it work better. Clearly the Sharp Froyo ROM has proven it's possible. I just don't know if it's more kernel or more CM code that is allowing for it.

Upvote 0
All,

I have released a test ROM if everyone could please test everything on it GPS, Wi-fi, SMS, MMS (Still not working for me), games, you name it. This will help to make sure I am making progress on this ROM. Please post back your findings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BETA TEST SCORE CARD
3G: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
GPS Locks: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Wifi: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
MMS: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
SMS: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Speed: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Battery Life: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Tethering WiFi/USB: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Video Performance: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Your personal thoughts of the ROM:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upvote 0
Just had a quick try with this as I was about to reflash my phone to cm7 -1015 version anyway. However, when it wanted to sign me into the google stuff, I had a little win7 style waiting circle a little bit to the left of where my finger wanted to go, I had to put my finger on it and drag it to where I wanted to click to click something. It made signing in to Google etc too hard. Am I missing something? Do I need to calibrate the touchpad or is this just something to do with being a really dev version?

Went to cm9 from 10-13 in slight frustration. Am quite happy to blame myself or the phone instead of the G60 on this..

Reactions: dsmryder
Upvote 0
Just had a quick try with this as I was about to reflash my phone to cm7 -1015 version anyway. However, when it wanted to sign me into the google stuff, I had a little win7 style waiting circle a little bit to the left of where my finger wanted to go, I had to put my finger on it and drag it to where I wanted to click to click something. It made signing in to Google etc too hard. Am I missing something? Do I need to calibrate the touchpad or is this just something to do with being a really dev version?

Went to cm9 from 10-13 in slight frustration. Am quite happy to blame myself or the phone instead of the G60 on this..

Nope it looks like my last build something went wrong :(

Edit: It's going to take some time but I will get it fixed. Must have had a bad repo sync.

Edit: ROM is now posted and working. Sorry about that guys. Please let the testing begin.

Reactions: rdoac
Upvote 0
All,

I have released a test ROM if everyone could please test everything on it GPS, Wi-fi, SMS, MMS (Still not working for me), games, you name it. This will help to make sure I am making progress on this ROM. Please post back your findings.

BETA TEST SCORE CARD
3G: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
GPS Locks: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Wifi: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
MMS: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
SMS: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Speed: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Battery Life: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Tethering WiFi/USB: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Video Performance: (1-10 scale 10 being perfect)
Your personal thoughts of the ROM:

bump :)

Upvote 0
BUMP. Glad to see this happening; I hope the camera comes to a resolution. I've been quite busy lately; Ubuntu 10 doesn't work on my rig (Graphics Driver Problems). 12 does, I still need to reinstall it. I'm booked up with classes, internships, etc. Learning C this year although it's once a week. If you need my help, questions, or requests, feel free to message me. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread. ;)

Upvote 0
All,

Got it installed. This is my first time using cm9.

So far everything that is supposed to work works.

MMS works but seems sluggish. Not sure if it is the rom or VM.

The only bug that I've noticed is that the 3g arrows and the signal power bars icons overlap a little.

Will give more feedback later.

Upvote 0
Would love to colaborate with someone to make a custom splash image for this Rom. Lets try to come up with something!!. I think MTDEV's efforts to put this thing together deserves something special!! I personally like the one Cornfed Chris made a whilr back but we could improve it somewhat. We could add something like like" brought to you by Team MTDEV or just MTDEV. We could also include somehow the screen names of the devs. Just an idea

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones