• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Developer's Team

I dont know if this will help at all, but if you dial ##7764726 and press Send, passcode 000000, there is a hidden menu with a lot of different options in it. Maybe some of this info will be helpful.

Also when dialing *#*#4636(info)#*#* and going to phone information, i get a force close. Is there any way to get this to work?

Upvote 0
As a step towards rooting the devour, I disassembled one. Here's the video:

http://www.freesoft.org/bbaccala/devour.avi

The largest chips on the board were:

Qualcomm MSM7627
Qualcomm RTR6500
Hynix H8BCS0UN0MCR-4EM
Qualcomm PM7540
TriQuest TQM613029
AVAGO FEM-7758

I think the MSM7627 is the processor (don't know about the others). A data sheet would be nice; anybody have one? With a pinout of the CPU, it might be possible to locate its JTAG port, which might be accessible without taking off the shielding (like I did), which might enable me/us to root the phone.

Upvote 0
Perhaps we could create a native program that runs with root privileges to install the new android system. For the most part android is just files right? Just have the program erase the old files and replace them with the new ones. It may sound too simple to work, but it sounds good in theory (I'm probably missing something here...).

Upvote 0
i must say i like the e-insk-esque look of the ally's screen but im not satisfied with the allys keyboard.

im rather unhappy that motorola wont release a base coat/working model of pure 2.2 for this phone... basically get it working and let us work out of the kinks/map the keyboard etc...

so i have no time but this still seems possible... just waiting for more experienced support from higher devs

Upvote 0
Qualcomm MSM7627 - no pinout, but basic spec
Qualcomm MSM7627 - CPUlist | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

Qualcomm RTR6500
Hynix H8BCS0UN0MCR-4EM
Qualcomm PM7540
TriQuest TQM613029
AVAGO FEM-7758

on the same site they have a link to a vzw updater, maybe ths package could be hijacked to help deploy custom code? (like the way the samsung moment dev team has made use of the sprint updaters)
Motorola DEVOUR A555 (Motorola Calgary) Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

Upvote 0
I wrote off getting the Devour when I played with one and tried the Barcode app and it couldn't read the barcode. A coworker with a iPhone said "Haha! That's because it doesn't have autofocus." Then I looked at the Droid which was more than I could afford but the cheaper Eris had autofocus and I ended up with that.

the lack of autofocus is the only real drawback, but it doesnt affect me because while the novelty of barcode reading is fun, when am i actually going to use that app in the real world..

i thought about the eris but the lack of a physical keyboard and the UI preinstalled didnt really fit my liking, Motoblur just adds a few features to the stock android experience while sense completely warps it for the worse.

i also didnt like that i would have a product with no official support, leaving me only to rely on xda devs/ hackers for updates due to the phone being discontinued.

Upvote 0
yea everything ive read says that the 2.1 update is still under evaluation, i mean come on they are prepping 2.2 for launch on many devices and its already rolled out to some n1 owners!!!!

i think this device would be solid if we could oc and flash a rom to it.

ill throw in with redliner, another 20 bucks if someone can root it.
redliner maybe you could post that offer on the developer board or on xda, im sure the hacking community wouldnt check out a subforum for a phone thats not rooted yet.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones