• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Discuss all Moto Droid Razr/Maxx HD rumors/release date/speculation/news

From the picture, the phone looks mighty slim. I really hope it has the 3300mah battery.

I did a quasi-scientific pixel measurement and I get a phone thickness of ~9mm and ~12mm at the top, about on par with the Maxx, right? For reference/sanity check, the micro usb on my droid 4 is 7.8mm wide, and the phone looks a bit thicker than a micro usb.

I also noticed that the Android & Me link says that Droid Life claims the phone will fall between razr and maxx in thickness, but couldn't actually find where DL says that. Anybody know what I missed?

Reactions: Milkweed25
Upvote 0
I did a quasi-scientific pixel measurement and I get a phone thickness of ~9mm and ~12mm at the top, about on par with the Maxx, right? For reference/sanity check, the micro usb on my droid 4 is 7.8mm wide, and the phone looks a bit thicker than a micro usb.

I also noticed that the Android & Me link says that Droid Life claims the phone will fall between razr and maxx in thickness, but couldn't actually find where DL says that. Anybody know what I missed?

Thanks for taking the time to do a measurement. I sure hope that it has the 3300 mah Battery otherwise we can be expecting an Droid Razr HD Maxx a few month later that will surely piss all of us people "not so patiently" waiting for the Razr HD.

Found an article you guys might want to read.
Android Dilemma: Samsung Galaxy S III or Motorola RAZR HD? | Stark Insider

Upvote 0
I feel better about preordering the SIII and not waiting on the HD now.

Share Everything Plan: Unlimited Talk & Text with Shared Data.

June 28 is the Unlimited data deadline for subsidized phone.

I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?
You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

Upvote 0
Now I have to wait till June 28 to make any switch. I have unlimited data but with ATT so since I'm switching to Big Red the new share plans are great for me. I was going to get in on double data but passed in order to wait for the Razr HD. The lack of news on a release means that if the SGS3 is in the stores on the 28th that I'll probably walk in and pick one up. My Backflip is just brutal to use.... unlimited data is useless if the phone can't handle doing anything that requires data anyways. It's just old and on it's last legs and it's time for a switch. Was holding out for Razr HD but like many I'm giong to go SGS3 simply cause it's here and I can't wait any longer.

Upvote 0
I feel better about preordering the SIII and not waiting on the HD now.

Share Everything Plan: Unlimited Talk & Text with Shared Data.

June 28 is the Unlimited data deadline for subsidized phone.

I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?
You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

Well at least we know when this is going to happen. Existing VZW customers can now maneuver in the direction that works best for them. I'm need to do some analysis to figure out what to do. We have one upgrade available now. I desperately want to ditch a poorly performing VZW Galaxy Nexus. I am EXTREMELY hesitant to buy another Samsung after my GNex experience. I really want the RAZR HD and suppose I am willing to pay full retail if necessary. I've seen others mention purchasing a subsidized S3 and flipping it. I don't really want to play those games. What I'm hoping for is that you all get your S3's sooner rather than later and come back to AF with reviews. If it is indeed night and day in radio performance from the GNex, I would consider it.

But I was at this same crossroads 6 months ago. RAZR or GNex. At the time I made the right decision because the Maxx was not even in the mix. I would have never made it with the non replaceable battery in the pre-Maxx RAZR.

Like I said, at least now we have a better picture how this will play out and can plan accordingly. I'll hold on to hope for an earlier release of RAZR HD. Make sure you guys give detailed reviews of those S3's!

Reactions: ALurker
Upvote 0
I am starting to lean towards taking a chance on the GSIII. I only pay about $61 for unlimited data and I don't need unlimited talk and text. If I go with one of the new plans, then I will be paying $85 or so for one smartphone "access" and 1GB of data. I suppose if I am dissatisfied with the GSIII, I could always return it and go back to my DX and then decide if I want to shell out full retail for a new device.

Edit: Pre-ordered SGS3 blue 32GB before they are all gone.

Upvote 0
Just stopped by today at my local Verizon store since my upgrade is next month. July 9th to be exact. Found out today that the data plans were going to be available June 28th as you may have read. I tried getting my upgrade early but was denied(had a feeling). I was with my mom, I'm under her account and I told her about the data plans changing prior to before we went. She didn't mention it to the clerk that helped us, but she was telling him that she wanted to make sure that the data plans weren't going to change on my line whenever I can go in and get my upgrade. He said "everything should remain the same and unlimited data would stay." I didn't mention the data plans changing(I know I should have) and they didn't mention anything about new data plans. What you guys think? Opinions? I wanted to try and pre-order the S3 but couldn't. :mad:

Upvote 0
Exactly. Now, how do we get the moto execs to read this thread...

lol... they probably are and licking their chops. Let's see, force everyone into an S3 that want to keep unlimited data and make money on the subsidized phone, then release the HD a month later and have a bunch of ppl that really wanted the HD flip their S3 and buy the HD at full price. Win, win for VZ...

Upvote 0
Just stopped by today at my local Verizon store since my upgrade is next month. July 9th to be exact. Found out today that the data plans were going to be available June 28th as you may have read. I tried getting my upgrade early but was denied(had a feeling). I was with my mom, I'm under her account and I told her about the data plans changing prior to before we went. She didn't mention it to the clerk that helped us, but she was telling him that she wanted to make sure that the data plans weren't going to change on my line whenever I can go in and get my upgrade. He said "everything should remain the same and unlimited data would stay." I didn't mention the data plans changing(I know I should have) and they didn't mention anything about new data plans. What you guys think? Opinions? I wanted to try and pre-order the S3 but couldn't. :mad:

In my experience Verizon store employees don't have that much power. I have had better luck calling and talking to customer service on the phone. Just keep asking for someone that has the authority to change your upgrade date. Bug the crap out of them until you get to someone who will make the change. You might have to talk to a bunch of different people. Also, you might want to wait until you get a little closer to June 28th, the closer to your actual upgrade date the better.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
seems like moto is shooting themselves in the foot for a few reasons

1. not getting the fighter/HD out before vzw kills unl data. tons of people with unl data are jumping on the s3 preorder, myself included, rather than waiting for the hd.

2. talk of charging $300 for the phone when the s3 is $200. this is just silly to overcharge against a serious competitor.

If the HD does get released before the deadline for the data plans I'd prob cancel my s3 preorder and get the hd since radio strength and battery life are key features for me, but not at $300

Upvote 0
I was browsing some sites in Chinese to see if i could find more specific spec's and what not for all those phones pictured in the earlier razr HD "leaks". I did find these two phones... They've got the 13mp camera, along with the 4.6" HD screen but unfortunately they only have a 1.2ghz dual core and they appear to be running android 2.3 unless there's a 4.0 update that's been released for them that they don't advertise on their site. They don't have the maxx battery either:thinking: Hopefully the US Razr HD will have some better specs, battery, cpu, and OS wise. None the less very interesting to look at...

http://power.motorola.com.cn/mt917/motorola_smart_phone.html#NavTop

Upvote 0
In my experience Verizon store employees don't have that much power. I have had better luck calling and talking to customer service on the phone. Just keep asking for someone that has the authority to change your upgrade date. Bug the crap out of them until you get to someone who will make the change. You might have to talk to a bunch of different people. Also, you might want to wait until you get a little closer to June 28th, the closer to your actual upgrade date the better.
Good luck!

this. i was allowed to upgrade about 4 months early but wouldnt be able to use my last NE2. had to call VZW CS though. also had to do the upgrade on the phone or with a corporate store. authorized retailers and costco couldnt do it until the actual upgrade date.

i ended up waiting nearly 2 months after my date anyways hoping the fighter would show up but broke down and got a maxx last week so i could keep unlimited data.

Upvote 0
this. i was allowed to upgrade about 4 months early but wouldnt be able to use my last NE2. had to call VZW CS though. also had to do the upgrade on the phone or with a corporate store. authorized retailers and costco couldnt do it until the actual upgrade date.

i ended up waiting nearly 2 months after my date anyways hoping the fighter would show up but broke down and got a maxx last week so i could keep unlimited data.

I understand, I guess I'll wait until maybe sometime late next week and give them a call. Also, if they were able to give me my upgrade early, would I be able to use that to pre-order the S3? I really want the HD, but can't wait. I do a lot of web browsing. It's either the S3 or the Maxx for me at this moment I guess. Would anybody happen to know what the price of my upgrade towards the pre-order of the S3 might look like? I'm on 3G right now, so hopefully no fees or anything will be involved switching to 4G.

Upvote 0
seems like moto is shooting themselves in the foot for a few reasons

1. not getting the fighter/HD out before vzw kills unl data. tons of people with unl data are jumping on the s3 preorder, myself included, rather than waiting for the hd.

I'm not sure this is Motorola's fault. I could certainly see that it is VZW that is holding up the release of this phone. It is likely that VZW will not release this until after June 28. This way, when folks come in to get the newest, latest, greatest, they can be forced onto the new Share Everything plans that will be a ripoff. I mean, $50 for 1 GB of data when a customer can currently get 2 GB for $29.99.

Upvote 0
When you just look at the data it looks like a massive ripoff, but then consider that unlimited talk and text is only $40 per phone with the share everything plans. Current plans would set you back $90 just for unlimited talk and text.

So the new plans are actually a much better deal for people that use a ton of minutes and sms.

But you're right that they're a TOTAL ripoff for someone who just wants data.

Upvote 0
When you just look at the data it looks like a massive ripoff, but then consider that unlimited talk and text is only $40 per phone with the share everything plans. Current plans would set you back $90 just for unlimited talk and text.

So the new plans are actually a much better deal for people that use a ton of minutes and sms.

But you're right that they're a TOTAL ripoff for someone who just wants data.

I'm one of those people. I use google voice so texting is free, but uses data, and calling is very cheap and can be free if I call from computer. only thing i use heavily on my phone is data. cell companies are seeing that the future lays in high data usage and are capitalizing on it now. pure greed imo

Upvote 0
I'm a bit confused and unsure of what to do right now. I have a Droid X still and have been able to upgrade for a few weeks now. To keep unlimited data, do I have to activate a new phone by June 28, or would I be alright if I purchased a phone say on the 27th, and then activated it on the 29th?

There is really no phone out right now that seems like that great of an upgrade when compared to the Droid X, but I think I am going to have to choose between the Maxx and the S3. How easy would it be to upgrade to one of these with a subsidized price now and then sell it off to counter the retail price of the Razr HD, and which would be better for this purpose?

Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0
I'm a bit confused and unsure of what to do right now. I have a Droid X still and have been able to upgrade for a few weeks now. To keep unlimited data, do I have to activate a new phone by June 28, or would I be alright if I purchased a phone say on the 27th, and then activated it on the 29th?

CSR says that if you order before the 28th, you can activate it later without affecting your plan. Of course, that's what they say over the phone. Get your own guarantee from a rep, preferably in writing ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones