• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I need a new one...?

l1ld3v1lrydr

Jul 28, 2013
Some of you may have seen I've been asking questions and posting problems with my phone and it's better life only lasting about 6-8 hrs in a day with just barely using it.

Bought a new battery thinking that would help a little. And it didn't change a thing. Did a factory reset on the phone thinking it was an app I installed that was running in the backround. Figured starting over fresh would help. And that didn't do a thing either.

Phone has gotten much slower/laggy since I got it last December. And like I said I can take the phone off charge at 5 in the morning when I leave for work. And just a few texts and checking of fb through out the day and the phone is shut off dead by 2-3 in the after noon.

Something I noticed just last night... The phone died the previous night so I just put it on the charger at night when I went to sleep. Phone said it was fully charged when I woke up. Turned it on and took it off the charger and it instantly said it was down to 85. So I put it on the car charger during my 20 min drive to work, and it went up to 88% in 20 mins. Normally when I wake up and take the phone off charge at 100%, drive to work and the phone is down to 94% til I get to work with out even being on it (it's about a 20 min drive)

So is there something wrong with the internals of the phone? Should I call ATT and make a complaint and request a new phone? Phone is unrooted and up to date (4.1.2 I think)Or is there something I possibly haven't tried?

Yes indeed!!! If the new phone option is there, take it! After reading what you've posted, I would contact your carrier ASAP. I've had to go through sending a phone back to the factory with LG. It was a pain in the butt being w/o my phone but it was well worth it and I would most definitely do it again .

I would have thought that it was the battery but since you've said you purchased a new battery and it's still doing the same thing PLUS you've done a factory reset too, it sounds to me like you've got some faulty hardware somewhere.

Upvote 0
Yes indeed!!! If the new phone option is there, take it! After reading what you've posted, I would contact your carrier ASAP. I've had to go through sending a phone back to the factory with LG. It was a pain in the butt being w/o my phone but it was well worth it and I would most definitely do it again .

I would have thought that it was the battery but since you've said you purchased a new battery and it's still doing the same thing PLUS you've done a factory reset too, it sounds to me like you've got some faulty hardware somewhere.

Yup got a new battery about 2 months ago and that didn't make the slightest bit of difference. So last weekend while watching the foot ball game I backed up the phone, and did a factory reset. And it still didn't make a difference. And I even waited a day or two to redownload any apps just to make sure it wasn't an app.

And then the charging issues, and I even have a brand new charger cause the factory one wouldn't connect to the computer anymore. Sp I bought a new house and car charger.

Upvote 0
And now I'm finding out contacts were deleted out of my phone. My phone died the other night while I was at the Chiropractor. And I had messages in my inbox, and when I turned the phone back on some of the contacts were no longer there and it was just a number. Went into the contacts and the names weren't there anymore.

Upvote 0
Yea I had them all saved and backed up before the reset the other week. And all were there before the other night when the phone died. I had gotten two text's from different people tonight and the numbers didn't show up, along with my GF's number I noticed right away when I turned the phone on after it died. But all were there before hand.

Upvote 0
Just an update. Just got off the phone with ATT after finally having enough of this battery drain and lagging issue. The guy I spoke with got in the phone from his computer and was looking over a few things, and he noticed something but didn't really say what it was, just said that didn't seem right or something there doesn't add up when he was looking over battery draw issues.

Then he proceeded to ask me how I normally go about closing apps. And while he was still veiwing my screen from his computer, I showed him how I hold the home button and click on the pie chart looking icon, and navigate to "Active Applications" and clicked END ALL, then navigated over to the "Clear Memory" icon, then back home, and held the home button again and cleared everything from the list. He was stunned I knew how to do that and said how almost everyone that calls in with issues doesn't know how to do that.

So, long story short, he doesn't really know what the issue is but agrees there is definitely something wrong, and I have a new phone being shipped that will be here in a few days! Finally! He also added it was good I called when I did because I only have 17 days left on my warranty! HA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones