• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you use Facebook? Are you annoyed when it crashes?

AZgl1500

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma grasslands
Well, it seems that the CEO of Facebook has decided it is time to put a fix to all of that.

He had eliminated all iPhones from his employees use. Period!!!

he says that he is going to force his employees to use Android phones, and also, that he is going to impose a 2 hour per day slow down on those phones to only a 2g connection.

He said it is high time that Facebook employees recognize that the "rest of the world" does not have access to 3g or 4g, and that he is tired of hearing about Facebook not working in 3rd world countries.

Make that "Non-Major-Metro" areas in the USA....

Where I am, you can step off into the hinterlands in a heartbeat.

3 miles west of me, I can ride for miles and never see anything better than 1x on my phone... once in a while, I see 'E' ( Edge = 2g )

I am glad to see this coming about.... Facebook pisses me off to no end... I will be typing up a comment and "nada" it just quits. and the post I was writing is just gone...

Just an hour ago, I was trying to refresh FB on my cellphone. Impossible, I had to exit FB and restart it again.

FB has a lot of sour programming under the hood... and now, just maybe it will get fixed.

http://www.ecnmag.com/blog/2015/11/...hones?et_cid=4918042&et_rid=60833287&type=cta

Reactions: SavageRobot
Something would still need to be done about terrain. I actually live ABOVE the cell towers.

TMO is trying to do that with band 12 (700) LTE.

yeah, hear that. I have worked in Communications since 1958.

99.999% of the cellphone users have no clue about how the beam patterns are formed....

get in a small private plane and watch the signal strength on your phone as you climb up above the tower's antennas.

Nearly all of them are tilted "down" towards the horizon.
I used to live in the Sandia Mountains east of Albuquerque, NM and very familiar with "getting to high" to use a cellphone.

Upvote 0
This is good news to me, where I live we are lucky to get any more than 2G unless going to town 10 miles away for 3G, or 20 miles away 3G+ or to one of the cities 40+ miles away for 4G. Now and then I briefly see HSPA or 3G in my area and I get excited, but by the time I try to do anything it is gone without a trace and no way to get it back lol. I rely on the WiFi at home / work and cloud or open hotspots in pub etc, but the internet is still pretty shoddy here too o_O

Upvote 0
This is good news to me, where I live we are lucky to get any more than 2G unless going to town 10 miles away for 3G, or 20 miles away 3G+ or to one of the cities 40+ miles away for 4G. Now and then I briefly see HSPA or 3G in my area and I get excited, but by the time I try to do anything it is gone without a trace and no way to get it back lol. I rely on the WiFi at home / work and cloud or open hotspots in pub etc, but the internet is still pretty shoddy here too o_O

Us folks who live in rural areas are pretty much left out in the cold when it comes to good communcations access.

Right now, Google and Zayo are installing a "Dark Fiber" pipe right up the highway adjacent to my home from Google's Oklahoma City, OK "Data Center" to Google's Kansas City, Mo "Data Center".

That Dark Fiber will handle internet data at TerraByte speeds... but the chances of me getting to sip off of that data pipe is just about zero. Even though it is buried right on the edge of my property line.

Somebody with a lot of capital money is going to have to be willing to install a LOT of LAST MILE fiber lines in this little burg. Our homes are spread way apart, lot sizes here are measured in acres (mine is 6 acres) or 'sections'... several homes around here with 1/4 section or 1/8 section lot sizes.... makes for a very sparse neighborhood, and going to be difficult for the money crunchers to justify providing us useless rural folks internet access.

Same thing happens when it comes time to vote for our next County managers, the ones we know can make a difference never have a chance, it is the ones who go to Church with the Big Town boys that get all the votes.

Upvote 0
Yea I know what you mean. We don't even have fibre optic broadband here yet, and the BT (the main phone/internet provider in UK) website still has "we have no idea when you will get it and your population means we don't really care" ha. Even though they have torn up the roads and pavements through our village to put the cable down so that it can go from town the one side to town the other side...now either side up us as super fast broadband and we are barely better than dial up sometimes :mad::D

Upvote 0
#firstworldproblems : I've seen a few people annoyed when they find they can't do FB at all...never mind slow 2G speeds...which is one of those "Welcome to China!" moments. LOL! "ZOMG! I can't play Farmville!! :("

Wonder if Zuckerberg is planning on coming back any time soon? I know he speaks Mandarin quite well apparently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting this thread is still alive....

I have "been forced" to accept that FB "might have" a valid place on this planet..... and that only because a lot of my friends were dropping "out of sight" from emails and/or forums. but, most of them had a smartphone and that POS thing called Facebook installed on it.... and that is where they live now, 27/8 and yes, that is NOT a typo.... they are glued to the damn phones.

yesterday, I had the misfortune of needing to attend the funeral of good motorcycling buddy's wife. She was killed instantly when a car crossed the Double Yellow and hit them head on.... He barely had time to divert slightly to the right and it was over. He being the rider with his legs squeezing the bike's gas tank, and hands on the handlebars survived, but with a severely ruined left arm... ( the outcome on that is still open according to the doctors. Accident was 21 days ago ).

She as the passenger, was catapulted up and over the oncoming car and hit the pavement face down... even with full helmet, riding jacket, and riding pants, the brutal 120 mph closing speed was just too much for her to survive.

sorry, this is fresh on my mind, I need to talk it out.....

en-route to her funeral which is in a very very rural area of Missouri, (USA) Verizon dropped off the map... slowly at first, 2g for the longest, and then 1x for 10 miles, and then just nothing... from 11 AM yesterday until 0600 this morning my phone was useless. No internet, no SMS, no phone calls.... just silence....

Kindle to the rescue, I went to the hotel and read a book until I dropped off to sleep. Yes Molly, there is life w/o the internet and/or Facebook.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones