• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does my app work properly on EVO?

N1N0A10

Dec 2, 2008
Hello,

I have developed an application for Android and do not know yet whether its graphics are displayed properly on EVO 4G.

It works fine on devices that have medium density screens, but I have no exact idea how the app's user interface might behave in EVO 4G's category (high pixel density).

Can anyone help me and make some test? It would help me a lot. You can find my app in Android Market (free) under the name 'Sticky Note Cork&Orc'.

Questions:

+ Do you see the wooden edges if you scroll the cork board entirely to the bottom/ or to the right edge.
+ Are the graphics (cork board background/ buttons) strongely fuzzy or sharp enough?
+ Are some graphics cut out of display?
+ Does the virtual keyboard (partly) overlap the text box if you make some input? (important)

Thanks for your support :)
Robert

yes wooden edges are visible
background/edges very fuzzy buttons and notes are good
no graphics are ok
keyboard very slightly overlaps - not a problem at all though I was able to type and scroll up and down inthe text box with the keyboard up

Only issue I saw was the background looks fuzzy.

EDIT - Also moving the notes around was kind of a pain. Why not make it like moving an icon where you long press then drag to a new location instead of long pressing, hit move, then touch new location on the screen?

Reactions: N1N0A10
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help!

background/edges very fuzzy
As background image I use a .jpg which is around 600 kb large. I have reduced file size (and thus quality) as much as possible because especially older devices like the G1 need more than 2 seconds for initial loading.
Compared to that, on Acer Liquid A1 the app starts almost immediately while I think the current cork board looks ok on that screen.

Though I'm considering to add a second background image (up to 1 MB size) which is used only by the hdpi devices (I assume that most hdpi devices have relatively strong CPU's so that they don't have trouble loading a bit larger background).

However even if I use a better quality picture, it might remain fuzzy on Evo. There are some issues with the framework's auto-scaling and the generalization of ldpi/mdpi/hdpi (220 dpi are treated the same as 265). Eventually i'd have to buy an Evo myself to find a suitable solution for this.

Also moving the notes around was kind of a pain. Why not make it like moving an icon where you long press then drag to a new location instead of long pressing, hit move, then touch new location on the screen?
The problem is that I use an entirely different approach as the Home screen does (or OpenGL). The libraries that I take don't support drag & drop which means that I would have to develop it from scratch if I tried to add that functionality. It is difficult and would consume a lot of time, especially if the performance should be appropriate. There are many obstacles for it. (Drag and Drop in compound with horizontal&vertical scrolling is one of the difficulties).

Generally I would like to implement moving notes by drag and drop. If I find a solution that I'm able to apply, I will work on it.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones