• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't know how to work this thing!

NotTechSavvy

Oct 12, 2011
I just bought a HTC Desire from somebody on campus and I found out that they rooted it. I don't know what the benefits of having it rooted are. Is there an application where I can get all free stuff kinda like Installous on the ipod? I'm also having trouble downloading some apps in the market like angry birds.

Welcome to AF!

You shouldn't be having problems downloading any apps from the market - unless they are not compatible with your phone in general.

The benefit of being rooted is that you can take things off the phone if you don't want them. BUT make sure you always have a back up ready in case something breaks.

Here's the link to the HTC Desire Threads. Lots of good info around for you.

Upvote 0
I have no idea what Installous is so I can't answer you.

The contacts issue should be able to be resolved through gmail - even if you don't use gmail for anything but market and contacts I have found it to be a lifesaver.
My advice would be to try to find someone to help you get a stock ROM on it so that all of the basics are there.

As far as wallpapers - you're not really locked into much with or without root. And a lot of things for android are already free.

Upvote 0
ROM manager will enable you to make your backups. You can install ROM's from it too but be careful - sometimes it's glitchy to do it that way. If you go into ROM manager you should see the option to Backup Current ROM - before you make changes on your phone I'd recommend making a backup...ALWAYS. Lol. And then check to make sure it's there. It will be on your SD card in a folder named ClockwordMod.

Upvote 0
It will back it up in order to do a full restore of an entire system.

Because you're rooted you have the ability to remove programs that normally would have to stay on the phone. Whatever crap your carrier has decided they need to have on the phone but you either hate or won't ever use. The problem is that some things are attached to other programs and you don't know it until you take it away. When that happens you then restore the backup and start again. Lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones