• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*DROID DNA reaction, discussion, and first impression thread*

This device runs real cool. Both of the sides are completely ventilated with metal grates that run almost the whole length of the phone. I expect this thing will stay nice and cool.

I may have missed something, but this is the first mention of the side grills actually being vents. If so, that may be a great idea (unless it allows moisture, etc. to get in.) I've had problems in the past with my Dinc2 getting hot while doing heavy GPS + Streaming audio. I'm very interested in getting more temperature vs load info.

Upvote 0
You won't need a new contract to go from 3G to 4G, so you won't lose unlimited if you do that. They DO have to change the data code, but since data is considered an add-on feature, and not associated with the contract plan, you can change it without affecting your contract.

Looking at my bill I am paying 23.99 pre tax/title/license for my unlimited data plan per phone (2) I got on 1/03/10.

Do given what you said above do you think they will adjust that pricing? I know we are talking in theoreticals and only a Verzion person will either do/wont something.

And 8hr 43 minutes doesnt sound to bad. Seems like if they could have squeezed in a 2100 or heck a 2500 it would surpass the GS3. So 2020 seems to be acceptable processing right now...

Upvote 0
Looking at my bill I am paying 23.99 pre tax/title/license for my unlimited data plan per phone (2) I got on 1/03/10.

Do given what you said above do you think they will adjust that pricing? I know we are talking in theoreticals and only a Verzion person will either do/wont something.

And 8hr 43 minutes doesnt sound to bad. Seems like if they could have squeezed in a 2100 or heck a 2500 it would surpass the GS3. So 2020 seems to be acceptable processing right now...

Shouldn't change anything at all. Same price, same unlimited, just different data code that the CSR has to put in when you activate the phone.

Upvote 0
New battery screen shot request.

GPS on all the time, LTE on all the time, BlueTooth on all the time, Wif-Fi on all the time....moderate/heavy screen use. Can this go past 6-7 hours? :)

Every review I've ready across the internet, which is only a few, has 8-12 hours as the average with this phone. To me this is pretty great considering the battery size vs screen size, but I'm still skeptical of just how they are using it. Are they "trying" to eek out the battery life to make it sound good? I want someone to use and abuse the phone and try to kill it! "Insert Evil Laugh!"

Upvote 0
A Full Review was just posted. 10hrs of battery life were stated...everything else was glowing! 99% sure I'm going to Verizon on Wednesday to buy this. :)

HTC DROID DNA Review

Yeah, the news about the 4G inside was huge for me... I am plagued by a horrific 4G signal inside my office. I can get it only by placing my phone on top of my highest shelf, where my charger won't reach... If I can get 4G on my desk, it is worth its weight in gold, and the storage issues go away, as I will just stream from the cloud or internet my media..

Upvote 0
Can you post shots with screen on time please? I'm really curious.

Phone doesn't keep track of that, will need an additional app.

New battery screen shot request.

GPS on all the time, LTE on all the time, BlueTooth on all the time, Wif-Fi on all the time....moderate/heavy screen use. Can this go past 6-7 hours? :)"

I feel ya but this isn't really practical. Why would you have LTE AND WiFi on all the time?

Check out the screen shots in first post of this thread. I have a TON of screen on time last couple hours of phone being on, netflix, reading books, and some pandora (with screen off)

It 'real' world use I will turn LTE off at times, and use wifi maybe if i'm gonna be somewhere (other than home) for a while and i wanna save battery life.

I purposely don't use WiFi at home to 1. test out the battery life, and 2. because I'm unlimited data and the LTE performs better than my home 20mbps internet.

If I turned wifi on at home i could easily]/i] get 20 hours with heavy to moderate usage.

Upvote 0
NightAngel

Can you address the Amazon bloat that was mentioned in Engadget article. Two concerns: 1) Is it removable to provide additional storage; and 2) Can you confirm that Google play is installed?

There seems to be some confusion/conflicting reports. Thanks for your help with all the info.

Upvote 0
Hey NightAngel. Thanks for all of the info you've given so far. I'm gonna ask a non battery related question lol but what do you think of Sense 4+ and the pre loaded apps. I'm on a GNex right now so I've been lucky with very little bloat pure Vanilla Android. Do you think Sense is kind of overpowering? For comparisons sake, I'm not a big TouchWIZ fan. Thanks!

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I don't turn my GPS off ever. I usually turn wifi off, but occasionally I leave it on all the time with my mobile data.
I leave gps on 24/7 as well. I never have WiFi on at though
NightAngel

Can you address the Amazon bloat that was mentioned in Engadget article. Two concerns: 1) Is it removable to provide additional storage; and 2) Can you confirm that Google play is installed?

There seems to be some confusion/conflicting reports. Thanks for your help with all the info.

Comes with a pre-installed amazon widget (which i removed) and I hid all the bloat (there wasn't much) so my app drawer is very clean.

I had to side-load the amazon app store

Google Play Store is installed of course
Hey NightAngel. Thanks for all of the info you've given so far. I'm gonna ask a non battery related question lol but what do you think of Sense 4+ and the pre loaded apps. I'm on a GNex right now so I've been lucky with very little bloat pure Vanilla Android. Do you think Sense is kind of overpowering? For comparisons sake, I'm not a big TouchWIZ fan. Thanks!

LOVE sense, preloaded apps I've hid already so they don't bother me at all. Love the sense interface personally

Reactions: mush10
Upvote 0
also after my first use of it on network and wifi, and constantly downloading stuff from my box account it went down to 14% after 10 hours of use. this was with screen on most of the time, network on and wifi. gps was off but i was downloading apps, music and other files over the network.

Tomorrow i will be driving around all day with the gps on and in use with google nav. Ill leave it unplugged while doing it to see how long it lasts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones