• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*DROID DNA reaction, discussion, and first impression thread*

I've come from LG Esteem from Metropcs. I decided to come to Verizon because quite frankly metro's service sucks and I wanted true 4G LTE.

Anyway I was going to buy the s3 at first but this guy came up to me and pointed out that he had been researching the DNA for about two days and that its the best phone Verizon has out right now.

Bought it and I gotta say I'm in in love with this phone. No lag, battery is great, and the display makes me horny everytime I look at my phone. I'm very impressed, and jellybean is always a plus. :)

Upvote 0
Are you sure about this? I'm pretty sure I've seen commercials for an HTC Device claiming the same capability.

the part of the DNA commercial that bugs me a little is the one where the guy is all hooked up in the chair and he taps his DNA on the JBL PowerUp and it NFC connects....funny thing is after i researched it and verified that NFC pairing doesn't work with the JBL, i havent seen that part of the commercial since.:mad:

still a great device otherwise.

Upvote 0
I've come from LG Esteem from Metropcs. I decided to come to Verizon because quite frankly metro's service sucks and I wanted true 4G LTE.

Anyway I was going to buy the s3 at first but this guy came up to me and pointed out that he had been researching the DNA for about two days and that its the best phone Verizon has out right now.

Bought it and I gotta say I'm in in love with this phone. No lag, battery is great, and the display makes me horny everytime I look at my phone. I'm very impressed, and jellybean is always a plus. :)

yeah, using any other phone for me feels like a downgrade, especially screenwise, my mom has a gs3 and it just feels boring compared honestly. the JB update it got helped some, but its still lackluster screenwise when compared to the dna.

Upvote 0
I find very little to complain about. Having 4G at my desk solves the 16GB issue, I just play directly from the cloud, instead of downloading to my device like I did before. Battery life is great, screen is of course awesome, and the look and feel of this phone is perfect IMO. Size is slightly pushing it with one handed use, but not so bad as to cause an issue for me. Wireless charging works great too, very nice not having to fumble for the cord by my bed at night. Wifi is also a much better signal than my GNex, I have been noticing neighbor's wifi that I never saw on my GNex.

Hi all, I too am coming from GNEX and never thought I was going to levee that phone (didn't think I would leave my Inc, so take it for what it's worth) but I'm loving this phone... Got it last night. The memory didn't really concern me, but I am scared about the battery. Can you guys discuss your battery usage and specifically which app is using the most juice. Mine says maps. I'm hoping this thing Can get me a days use. The wireless charger will be on my night stand.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I too am coming from GNEX and never thought I was going to levee that phone (didn't think I would leave my Inc, so take it for what it's worth) but I'm loving this phone... Got it last night. The memory didn't really concern me, but I am scared about the battery. Can you guys discuss your battery usage and specifically which app is using the most juice. Mine says maps. I'm hoping this thing Can get me a days use. The wireless charger will be on my night stand.

Honestly even with maps I wouldn't worry about the battery not lasting the day. 13 and a half hours later I'm at 37% and I've been using my phone all damn day. The key is closing apps when you're done using them so they aren't still running in the background. Helps the battery tremendously.

Remember that 4G itself is a huge battery killer so use Wi-Fi when convenient and you're set.

Reactions: atrain311
Upvote 0
Honestly even with maps I wouldn't worry about the battery not lasting the day. 13 and a half hours later I'm at 37% and I've been using my phone all damn day. The key is closing apps when you're done using them so they aren't still running in the background. Helps the battery tremendously.

Remember that 4G itself is a huge battery killer so use Wi-Fi when convenient and you're set.

I'm on wifi at home and work, so I'm good there. Should I even close Chrome Beta? I kind of like having my pages ready for me. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm on wifi at home and work, so I'm good there. Should I even close Chrome Beta? I kind of like having my pages ready for me. Thanks.

Well you could do that but if you're worried about battery then you shouldn't since technically it's still using data even if you aren't actually surfing the web, which in turn is draining the battery. But honestly I still think your phone will get you through the day.

Personally I'd recommend just setting the pages you normally use as favorites for easy access. Then download a program called fast reboot. It'll clear ram and keep your phone running fast and smooth, which in turn will help with battery management.

Upvote 0
Well you could do that but if you're worried about battery then you shouldn't since technically it's still using data even if you aren't actually surfing the web, which in turn is draining the battery. But honestly I still think your phone will get you through the day.

Personally I'd recommend just setting the pages you normally use as favorites for easy access. Then download a program called fast reboot. It'll clear ram and keep your phone running fast and smooth, which in turn will help with battery management.

Is fast reboot technically a task killer or no? Thanks so much.

Upvote 0
Is fast reboot technically a task killer or no? Thanks so much.

Well technically no it's not. It's like rebooting your phone without actually turning it off and rebooting it. It frees up ram and keeps your phone running snappy, but it won't actually kill all tasks and keep them from running. If anything it would just restart them.

Use recent apps to kill regular apps and go to settings> battery> usage to do the rest. I honestly don't recommend third party task killers. Unnecessary battery hogs imo.

Hope this helps ya dude. Let me know if you need help with anything else!

Upvote 0
Well technically no it's not. It's like rebooting your phone without actually turning it off and rebooting it. It frees up ram and keeps your phone running snappy, but it won't actually kill all tasks and keep them from running. If anything it would just restart them.

Use recent apps to kill regular apps and go to settings> battery> usage to do the rest. I honestly don't recommend third party task killers. Unnecessary battery hogs imo.

Hope this helps ya dude. Let me know if you need help with anything else!

Thanks a lot...I too don't like task killers, which is why I asked. So, I installed the app you recommended and we'll see how it goes. I think my old NEXUS could have used that app. So far, I'm really impressed with the phone on a whole. And Chrome Beta is really great on the DNA too.

Upvote 0
I do have one more favor to ask of you all...
On my Rooted Nexus I could put some power controls in the pull-down notification section. This was great for turning on/off wifi while in apps themselves if need be. Can anyone recommend an APP that might do something similar for me...meaning getting the toggles into the notification section? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, notification toggle does what I need.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot...I too don't like task killers, which is why I asked. So, I installed the app you recommended and we'll see how it goes

I used Fast Reboot Pro on my Inc2 for quite a while. I don't know that it made much difference. The effect is definitely not as good as actually rebooting the phone. Sometimes that the only way to sort out problems.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Just picked up my DNA on Tuesday. I couldn't wait to upgrade (to anything) from my Droid Charge and went in on the first day I was eligible. My DNA vs my Charge is like night & day. The DNA is SO fast, I get much better cell reception (this is a phone after all), the improvement from gingerbread to jelly bean is huge, the battery life is a massive improvement, and I love the screen.

So far, my only complaint is that when I'm zoomed in on the Chrome browser and typing something in the screen often will jump to another spot on the page for no discernable reason. The power button and volume rocker are a little hard to work with the rubber case from the Verizon store, but that's more the case than the phone's fault. I'm sure a different case would help that. I'm glad I have a case though as the phone fell out of my pocket in the parking lot right after I left the store.

Upvote 0
Joined this forum as I just got my new HTC DNA from HTC Droid Dna Review. So far no issues but battery life is a suspect when it comes to HTC.

Loving its sexy design and screen.

I really only use HTC phones and before this phone, i would have normally agreed with concerns of battery, but what this thing does with the battery this size is amazing. I can easily make it day with pretty heavy use for me. I have no complaints about this phone. By far the best android phone Ive ever used. That includes samsung offerings which my house has. No comparison to the DNA.

Upvote 0
I'm a pretty simple user when it comes to phones, and I really love this phone. I was skeptical about it at first... I'm used to smaller sized phones. But I quickly got used to it. It's fast, I've never had any issues with it so far...other than figuring out how to play the MP4 vids I shoot, on my computer (but now is solved).

I wasn't too keen on it not having any type of removable storage, but I'm not even close to fully using what it has already in it so it hasn't concerned me too much yet. I just make sure I back my pictures and stuff up every now and then in case something ever were to happen... so I don't loose it all.

I've also dropped my phone a couple times onto hard floor, and it hasn't cracked or broken yet (knock on wood) so it seems pretty durable as well. I know others have posted theirs broke, but it depends on the fall.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones