• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Eris VS Sprint Hero

Maybe not refined, but definately different (must be in order to incorporate proximity sensor). People are saying there is no lag on the Eris because it was just released, and more so because of the hype about the Hero's lag. Almost like a placebo effect. The Hero was flawlessly fast and smooth when it first came out... no one was complaining about lag. After a month, here we are with the, just as smooth as the Hero was when it first came out. Give Eris a month for its users to install apps and widgets from the market, sync all their contacts with facebook, like we did Hero and people will be complaining about the lag just as people are of the Hero now.

Upvote 0
1. Sorry the Hero screen dust issue is not a QA issue. Its simply how the screen is designed and thats that.
5. The Eris does NOT run the EXACT same UI setup as Sprint Hero. Its more refined and the reason why its abit faster than Sprint Hero.

No - glass doesn't "leak" -- it's an improper seal issue. HTC is aware of the problem, and they're working to remedy it.

I never said they are "exact", as that would be technically incorrect -- yet if you honestly think that the OS on the Hero and Eris is drastically different, you don't have a technical understanding of operating systems. They're both running Android 1.5 with HTC Sense UI.

Upvote 0
Maybe not refined, but definately different (must be in order to incorporate proximity sensor). People are saying there is no lag on the Eris because it was just released, and more so because of the hype about the Hero's lag. Almost like a placebo effect. The Hero was flawlessly fast and smooth when it first came out... no one was complaining about lag. After a month, here we are with the, just as smooth as the Hero was when it first came out. Give Eris a month for its users to install apps and widgets from the market, sync all their contacts with facebook, like we did Hero and people will be complaining about the lag just as people are of the Hero now.

I wish I could agree with you, but I noticed lag on both the Hero and Eris within the first 48 hours of use.

Upvote 0
Eris > Hero

There is nothing to discuss. Eris is simply a better phone.

Then stop discussing it and enjoy your Eris. :) Others feel the need to discuss it, so they can have at it. I'm happy with my Hero since it's a lot better than any phone I have owned to date. I have no plans to switch to Verizon, so there is nothing for me to discuss either as far as the comparison goes.

Upvote 0
1. Sorry the Hero screen dust issue is not a QA issue. Its simply how the screen is designed and thats that.
5. The Eris does NOT run the EXACT same UI setup as Sprint Hero. Its more refined and the reason why its abit faster than Sprint Hero.

mind telling us how it is "more refined"?

exactly, because its not. as stated its android 1.5, with sense UI, and sprints stuff taken off

Upvote 0
Sprint's network is faster than Verizon. Check phonedog or endgadget. They have done several test that have proven that Sprint's 3G is faster than Verizon's. Also, they have the same exact coverage area. They entered into a deal in 2006 that allows them to roam on each others network and use full 3G coverage. Sprint, has greater coverage in rural areas and Verizon has greater coverage in urban areas. They entered into an agreement that created the largest network in the US.

So as far as the Eris and the Hero go it is a matter of preference. I for one will take Sprint and their pricing.

Yes, Sprint is faster than Verizon, BUT, for some reason, on this phone, the Eris is up to 4x faster with download speed. We tried it all over NY. Very odd.

And the Eris has a proximity sensor, the Hero doesn't.
It also has a slightly newer processor. They are clocked the same, though.
262000 colors instead of 65000 on the Hero.

Upvote 0
While that is all well and good, there are quite a few pockets in the suburbs of philly where I get intermittent signal with any of my sprint phones (so far...Treo 700p, centro, treo pro, Pre, bb tour, bb curve, Hero and Moment), yet my sister's verizon phone along with a few friends and theirs all get a good signal. I tried switchinig my sister to Sprint, but she (as well as I) kept losing the signal in her house. Verizon has always worked well for her. If there is full sharing of towers, something like that shouldn't happen.

That being said, when someone mentioned the chin on the Hero, I think they were referring to the bubble area at the buttons. It is raised and not flat like on the Eris.

Personally, I don't think you're going to see how well any of these Android phones work until they go to 1.6/2.0 that have built in CDMA support and not some patched up version found in 1.5.
Found on Wiki, Sprint and Verizon are the same, you are not getting any better service, yet paying for more on Verizon.

Upvote 0
You can also silence the Hero by turning it over when a call is coming through. Can't do that on the Eris.
Eris does feel cheap as well when compared to the Hero. The Eris a bit more contoured, similar to the way the iphone 3Gs is compared to the original iphone, although at it's thickest point it's about the same as the Hero.
And again as has been mentioned, there is no noticable lag difference between the two phones, I played with them side by side, only difference being my Hero has 35 apps installed and the Eris was stock.

Upvote 0
262000 colors instead of 65000 on the Hero.

is that an android thing though, because the droid is 16M colors, but the new htc phone going to verizon is only 262k colors because its not running 2.0, android 1.6 only supports 262k colors while 2.0 supports 16M colors.

could the hero only support 65k colors because its running 1.5 (I know the eris is too, but technically 1.6 is what added cdma support, so maybe verizon had htc work in some support for more colors in there phone, since they obviously had to back port some cdma stuff to 1.5 to make the phones work, could they have back ported visual settings as well from 1.6 to 1.5 on the eris and no the hero?

Upvote 0
You can also silence the Hero by turning it over when a call is coming through. Can't do that on the Eris.
Eris does feel cheap as well when compared to the Hero. The Eris a bit more contoured, similar to the way the iphone 3Gs is compared to the original iphone, although at it's thickest point it's about the same as the Hero.
And again as has been mentioned, there is no noticable lag difference between the two phones, I played with them side by side, only difference being my Hero has 35 apps installed and the Eris was stock.

Pardon my ignorance, but what?

Upvote 0
Eris is SIGNIFICANTLY slimmer. I compared both phones side by side and the Eris is much slimmer and compact.

Eris has "bounce back" when scrolling just like the iphone. The Hero does not have this feature. The menus just stop and you dont know if there is anything left of if the phone froze on the Hero.

The Eris is simply a much more refined phone with more features and more slimmer compact design.

The two phones are VERY different.

Upvote 0
Eris is SIGNIFICANTLY slimmer. I compared both phones side by side and the Eris is much slimmer and compact.

Eris has "bounce back" when scrolling just like the iphone. The Hero does not have this feature. The menus just stop and you dont know if there is anything left of if the phone froze on the Hero.

The Eris is simply a much more refined phone with more features and more slimmer compact design.

The Hero is plenty slim enough for me, and feels perfect in my hand. Anything slimmer would actually be too thin for my taste.

Bounce back sounds like it's just a feature that can easily be added to the Hero if HTC cares to. Since I've never used it, it's not like I'm missing it or anything. When it's added, maybe I'll wonder how I got along without it, or maybe not. :)

There is nothing simple about it. Eris feels more refined to you because it has features and a form factor that appeal more to you. To others, the Hero appeals to them more for the same reasons. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

From what you describe (since I haven't played with the Eris), I can agree with you there. They do seem to have a bit of difference to them. So if you prefer the Eris, be happy. It doesn't make me mad, and I don't feel the need to convince you that your choice was bad. Conversely, you shouldn't feel the need to try and make Hero users feel they somehow chose a worse phone. That's why I chose Linux (which Android is based on) a long time ago. It gives me the freedom to choose. So choose what you want and be happy. :)

Upvote 0
You can also silence the Hero by turning it over when a call is coming through.

Pardon my ignorance, but what?

when your phone is ringing, turn it over so the screen points to the table and it will silence the ring. this is of course assuming the screen isnt already facing the table, then who knows, maybe turning it so the screen points upwards silences it.

I have noticed though it isnt always INSTANT, might take a second(well, half a second maybe) and it doesnt work with message notifications, which is fine for the quick little stock dings it shipped with but I have a snipped part of an MP3 for mine and when the phone is locked then you have to press menu a couple times, enter the unlock pattern, drag down the notification bar, and then tap on the message.

Upvote 0

Just curious as to what features the Eris has that the Hero doesnt(keep in mind the glass issue is not a feature, its a build issue). It seems most of what u are saying is opinion and not FACT. Many Hero users have said they get no lag on the phone at all. Give the phone a little more time before u brag about no lag. It usually takes some time before thats an issue with any phone.

This thread is quite funny. THEY R BASICALLY THE SAME PHONE. Very minor differences

Upvote 0
My God! I was so bored I just read this entire thread and don't know whether to laugh or be disgusted. Bottom line.....Hero-Eris.....same phone, different package, different "tweaks", different carriers. Both are fine devices, Sprint and Verizon are both fine networks. Now, my last point.....some of you need to get a grip.....you're starting to sound like some of those crazed Apple fanboys, that we all make fun of.

Upvote 0
My God! I was so bored I just read this entire thread and don't know whether to laugh or be disgusted. Bottom line.....Hero-Eris.....same phone, different package, different "tweaks", different carriers. Both are fine devices, Sprint and Verizon are both fine networks. Now, my last point.....some of you need to get a grip.....you're starting to sound like some of those crazed Apple fanboys, that we all make fun of.

AMEN to that. lol. But i think every phone has crazed fanboys. It isnt just apple fans. A lot of ppl believe that what they own is superior and that everything else is inferior. When actually its all about your personal preferences and need for the device.

Oh and dont feel bad, i read this whole thread myself and felt the same way. lol

Upvote 0
all for the topic at hand, but seriously...why is turning the phone over such a big deal to silence the ring when pressing the volume down button accomplishes the same task? Stupid feature to be harping over.

who is harping over it? someone mentioned it, someone asked about it, and I gave the info I had on it... noone was "harping" over it in my eyes.

and actually, on my hero (and this is text notification again, not ringer) the volume button on the side doesnt do anything when the phone is locked and starts to notify me of a message. I wish it did because it has on all my other phones is seems.

Upvote 0
Just curious as to what features the Eris has that the Hero doesnt(keep in mind the glass issue is not a feature, its a build issue). It seems most of what u are saying is opinion and not FACT. Many Hero users have said they get no lag on the phone at all. Give the phone a little more time before u brag about no lag. It usually takes some time before thats an issue with any phone.

This thread is quite funny. THEY R BASICALLY THE SAME PHONE. Very minor differences
Not really, they are very different phones.
1. Eris is slightly faster.
2. Eris has proximity sensor (HUGE feature missing from Hero)
3. Eris has "Bouce back" scrolling just like iphone (HUGE feature missing from Hero)
4. Eris is much more slimmer and compact and does not have the stupid bulge where the track ball is.
5. Eris button layout is far more intuitive
6. Eris has sealed screen so no dust can get under it.
7. Eris has extra features in HTC Sense UI.
8. plus more those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones