• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Maxx Bug Reports and Problems

I have a series of Red and Blue dots in horizontal lines down the front of my screen visible whenever any part of the screen is dark or very light. These sprung up out of nowhere, I fell asleep last night, woke up, and in the morning they were there. I have already cleared my cache but it did not help. What is causing this and how can I fix it?

Upvote 0
Alright, I know it's been a while since it came out but I'm just now getting around to venting about this feature: the alarm clock.

What is the point of putting a "snooze" option on a phone if once you use it it turns on the homescreen and lights up your room?

Snooze should do just that . . . SNOOZE! By turning on my phones homescreen and lighting up my bedroom it defeats the purpose of snooze.

That is all. :mad:

Upvote 0
Going to be on my second Maxx next week. Out of the blue the earpiece speaker stopped working, the rear speaker still works, but I'd rather not have all my phone conversations broadcast. At first I thought it was an issue with my network extender, so I did a power cycle, then the equivalent of a battery pull (hold power + volume down for 15 seconds). I almost didn't get it to power back on, but after connecting it to the charger, disconnecting it, it powered on. Still no joy, so I called Verizon. We did some test calls, and found the speakerphone still worked but not the earpiece. As a last resort he suggested a factory reset. I moved my stuff to my computer and reset it, no joy, so a refurb is on the way.

No charge since it's a factory defect, and they're doing overnight shipping, but still sucks. As I recall, someone else had a bad earpiece speaker also, so hope it's isolated and not widespread. Probably just a bad solder joint since it's just over a month old.

Upvote 0
I've heard of several people on forums having earpiece issues.

Anyone else noticing their active notifications are displaying icons differently after the latest update? Facebook definitely looks different it's almost rectangular and it used to be square. Not a big deal though.

Really enjoying the navigation key back lighting. Seems to be dimming well. Just wish they'd shut off when watching youtube like on Netflix.

Upvote 0
After the latest update, the fact that the capacitive buttons turn off on Netflix, Dock Clock, etc., is a welcome fix. My only issue is the Home button. It seems way too sensitive now for pulling up the Google "bubble" (don't know what else to call it) and I can't get back to the homescreen sometimes unless I give the Home button a very light/brief tap. Anyone else notice an over-sensitive Google bubble home button?

And I'm not sure if something has changed, but I can't get the bubble to come up by long-pressing the Back or App List button... only Home.

**edit** Forgot to mention, the update seems to have helped the hands-free/Bluetooth echo issue I was having. Spousal Unit still says the echo is still there but it's better than it was.

Upvote 0
After the latest update, the fact that the capacitive buttons turn off on Netflix, Dock Clock, etc., is a welcome fix. My only issue is the Home button. It seems way too sensitive now for pulling up the Google "bubble" (don't know what else to call it) and I can't get back to the homescreen sometimes unless I give the Home button a very light/brief tap. Anyone else notice an over-sensitive Google bubble home button?

And I'm not sure if something has changed, but I can't get the bubble to come up by long-pressing the Back or App List button... only Home.

**edit** Forgot to mention, the update seems to have helped the hands-free/Bluetooth echo issue I was having. Spousal Unit still says the echo is still there but it's better than it was.

Yes, the Google Now arc is definitely different and too easy to call up. The other two capacitive buttons - it's more of a slide up and not a long press. If you press somewhere between the printing of the button and the bottom of the display, you'll see the arc show up. It's quite annoying.

Upvote 0
Yes, the Google Now arc is definitely different and too easy to call up. The other two capacitive buttons - it's more of a slide up and not a long press. If you press somewhere between the printing of the button and the bottom of the display, you'll see the arc show up. It's quite annoying.

Ah okay, arc is much better than bubble. :) And I was able to reproduce what you said, exactly. So it's not just me and that's why it is happening. Yes, very annoying.

Upvote 0
I guess I was used to using the arc since last year and it doesn't bother me. I like that a simple Swipe launches it.

I have noticed it to be annoying when using a defender case. I think the fact I have an anti glare protector on plus the defenders is the culprit (although I'd never use a defender without an additional because all it takes is one grain of anything and the screen is ruined).

Upvote 0
My Maxx's battery stats are all out of whack. Under the battery section it shows that I have been on battery for 8 days (which obviously isn't true). I have tried restarting but they won't reset. It just looks like a bunch of peaks and valleys from where the battery has drained and been charged at night. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
My Maxx's battery stats are all out of whack. Under the battery section it shows that I have been on battery for 8 days (which obviously isn't true). I have tried restarting but they won't reset. It just looks like a bunch of peaks and valleys from where the battery has drained and been charged at night. Any ideas?

Are you fully charging each night? The stats reset with a full charge.

If so, and you are not using the stock charger/cable, I'd try charging fully with that equipment and see if that resets the battery stats.

Upvote 0
Are you fully charging each night? The stats reset with a full charge.

If so, and you are not using the stock charger/cable, I'd try charging fully with that equipment and see if that resets the battery stats.

That did the trick! We went out of town last week for the holiday and i forgot my charger, so I used the Chromecast charger at night and didnt switch it back when I got home because the CC charger cord is a lot longer. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Does anyone know if there is or where there is the option to have the little slider on a locked screen to turn the volume to vibrate? My razr maxx had a slider on the screen that I put my pin in to unlock that I could slide and turn the volume either on or to vibrate or off whatever I had it set at. Such a convenience when in school. Ticked off a professor and now need to figure out how to do this. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if there is or where there is the option to have the little slider on a locked screen to turn the volume to vibrate? My razr maxx had a slider on the screen that I put my pin in to unlock that I could slide and turn the volume either on or to vibrate or off whatever I had it set at. Such a convenience when in school. Ticked off a professor and now need to figure out how to do this. Any ideas?

Power toggles https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc

Install that. On the lock screen, slide the lockscreen from the left edge to the right. (You should see a blue outline along the left edge of the lockscreen. That's where you want to slide from. If you slide from the right edge to the left, it starts the camera.)

Hit the plus on the screen. You should see Power Toggles as a widget. When you add it, add a toggle for volume (and whatever else you want.) This will be on that slide-to-the-right screen of the lockscreen from now on.

Upvote 0
I have a friend with a Maxx who's camera (motorola camera) fails to initialize. I've tried uninstalling updates and reinstalling. He's even done a factory data reset. He's not rooted. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions on what to do to help him?

If an fdr didn't help, it's probably a hardware problem. I'd call for a warranty replacement.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Power toggles https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc

Install that. On the lock screen, slide the lockscreen from the left edge to the right. (You should see a blue outline along the left edge of the lockscreen. That's where you want to slide from. If you slide from the right edge to the left, it starts the camera.)

Hit the plus on the screen. You should see Power Toggles as a widget. When you add it, add a toggle for volume (and whatever else you want.) This will be on that slide-to-the-right screen of the lockscreen from now on.

No option for sound anywhere on that toggle. I can go to settings but I can do that anyways. Hmmmm still trying to find it.

Upvote 0
No option for sound anywhere on that toggle. I can go to settings but I can do that anyways. Hmmmm still trying to find it.

There sure is. Tap add toggle then add the one volume toggle. It is a three way toggle between sound on, sound off, and vibration only. You can also long press any toggle to remove it in the design screen when you add the widget.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm I added it to my razr maxx and I see the volume slider. When I add it to my droid maxx I dont see the slider. Let me play around with it and see if I can figure it out. Thabnk you for your help with it. Yesterday I didnt even get a full day out of the battery. After tak Im wondering if I didnt end up with a fluke.
There sure is. Tap add toggle then add the one volume toggle. It is a three way toggle between sound on, sound off, and vibration only. You can also long press any toggle to remove it in the design screen when you add the widget.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm I added it to my razr maxx and I see the volume slider. When I add it to my droid maxx I dont see the slider. Let me play around with it and see if I can figure it out. Thabnk you for your help with it. Yesterday I didnt even get a full day out of the battery. After tak Im wondering if I didnt end up with a fluke.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the volume slider. The toggle is the one above that - it's called "Volume Toggle".

Upvote 0
I've went through everything including a replacement droid maxx, but still keep getting alerts, background data disabled. Has anyone had this issue? Sometimes I get it with an accompanying roaming alert. I am not roaming. I have changed settings even called Motorola.

Another issue is browsing through installed apps, the screen times out after 2 seconds!

Upvote 0
I've went through everything including a replacement droid maxx, but still keep getting alerts, background data disabled. Has anyone had this issue? Sometimes I get it with an accompanying roaming alert. I am not roaming. I have changed settings even called Motorola.

Another issue is browsing through installed apps, the screen times out after 2 seconds!

On the first question, is the background data disabled all the time or only at night. If it's only at night, it may have to do with Moto Assist, which along with battery saver turns off background data during the night (sleep time). In the Assist app you can set the time period you want your phone to go into sleep time.

If background data is off all the time it may have to do with your phone showing as roaming. I believe there is a setting that disables background data when roaming under mobile data settings. That way you don't rack up charges when roaming. The reason it may be roaming (other than an issue with the phone itself) is that if you're in a sketchy signal area, if a tower from another provider has stronger signal it may be going with that tower rather than the lower signal home network tower. Without knowing how long you've lived there, if any newer towers have gone up recently, or if this phone is able to pull a stronger signal from other towers, it's kinda hard to troubleshoot.

On the second question, that happens to me as well. It also happens on the home screen in portrait, & it started after the last update (the one that fixed the camera and other use issues that went out a few weeks ago). Hopefully it'll be fixed on the next update. I assume it has to do with the proximity sensor.

Upvote 0
The data roaming happens randomly throughout the day. I never got this with any other phone. I live in a rural area but work in a major city downtown. Happens both at work and sometimes at home. I have forced to the CDMA network and I have enabled data while roaming. Verizon and Motorola don't know what to do.
[QUOTE=vzwuser76;6321712]On the first question, is the background data disabled all the time or only at night. If it's only at night, it may have to do with Moto Assist, which along with battery saver turns off background data during the night (sleep time). In the Assist app you can set the time period you want your phone to go into sleep time.

If background data is off all the time it may have to do with your phone showing as roaming. I believe there is a setting that disables background data when roaming under mobile data settings. That way you don't rack up charges when roaming. The reason it may be roaming (other than an issue with the phone itself) is that if you're in a sketchy signal area, if a tower from another provider has stronger signal it may be going with that tower rather than the lower signal home network tower. Without knowing how long you've lived there, if any newer towers have gone up recently, or if this phone is able to pull a stronger signal from other towers, it's kinda hard to troubleshoot.

On the second question, that happens to me as well. It also happens on the home screen in portrait, & it started after the last update (the one that fixed the camera and other use issues that went out a few weeks ago). Hopefully it'll be fixed on the next update. I assume it has to do with the proximity sensor.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones